• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Object creation

  • Thread starter Thread starter amahran
  • Start date Start date
A

amahran

Guest
I just realised that I am able to create some custom object sceneries (such as those of aerosoft), which I honestly have no problem with, but I found one thing hindering any progress in making custom sceneries.

For example, If wanted to make a scenery for Munich, I would set the taxiway and apron layout in munich first, then I would work on the photoreal. After photoreal, I would layout the custom ground textures on top of it all. All is fine there, but when I reach a stage at which everything is done expect creating buildings, that's when I would start to worry.
How do I know the height of the building?
How would I add the details If I can't see the building from all angles?
What does each PAPA box look like?
I would the inside of the terminal appear to be like?
What are the exact dimensions of the geometry of the airport?

Questions such as those keep me away from making custom object sceneries, but I often see such custom object sceneries being done in the Showroom.

How does each developer manage to find out the exact dimensions and details of the building they are working with? :confused:
 
aerial imagery x proportion + commonsense = image size.

Imagery can be measured or used as a template

Photographs show what a building "should" look like, so using the base dimensions you extend upwards to create the correct proportions.

Common-sense is a check./balance -- eg doors should be a certain height, hangars should fit the planes they are designed for, etc.

All scenery is a combination of fact and fiction ...

depends how much photosource you have.
 
Last edited:
Ah
So spots of the scenery that are unknown are filled in with a guess?
 
I assumed developers like those of aerosoft know EVERY detail...

Now I see what it's supposed to be...

I might try that in the future, so thanks for your help! :)
 
The ideal is to know every detail ... and if you can get airside photos, then you are close.

In making payware scenery, that is more and more what is expected.

That's not quite the question you asked though!!!

You asked what to do when you can't see every detail, or you don't have photosource.

A complete work of fiction is going to be less convincing, and not very satisfying to someone who knows the field.

I am sure that some aspects of textures and objects are synthesised by Aerosoft, as they are by many scenery developers. I'm not sure what alternative method could be proposed? There is no magic way of knowing what something looks like.

IMO, you need solid airside photos before you can even attempt a project ... landside photos alone won't get you very far at all.


What you want to do when starting is just make things to learn. It doesn't matter if they don't look quite how you want ... that's the whole idea of refining your skills and learning new things.

A few mistakes made whilst using Gmax is worth a hundred questions (both in application and retaining knowledge)

What you HEAR you'll forget ... what you DO you'll know!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top