• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Object placement tool recent problem

Messages
39
Country
us-california
Hi all,

I have been using the FSX object placement tool for some time now and it has worked very well for placing both my custom objects and other stuff.

However in my (now very large) list of GUIDS there have always been a few that simply don't work, and selecting them always causes OPT to "hang" when previewing them, (you can get around the problem by canceling and starting over).

However as time has gone by the number of "dead GUIDS" (these are all from custom .BGLs I guess) has grown bigger and bigger to the point now where its almost impossible to browse the list (using up/down arrow keys) so I decided try and figure out where these rogue objects were located so they could be removed.

That was two days ago! I started by decompiling suspicious .BGLs and removing any with GUIDS that matched my "dead list" but it soon became obvious that there was more going on here than I thought...

I am now to the point where I have temporarily removed ALL third party scenery completely and there are still about 10 GUIDS in OPT that have a problem. I actually created a dummy object in Gmax with the exact GUID that matched a "dead one" - it showed up just fine.

I am forced to the conclusion that these objects do not exist but how to clear out the list? Does anybody know enough about the inner workings of FSX to know where this list is maintained? (I even looked in the registry), or is there a way to globally search FSX for a particular GUID?

I am even considering re-installing FSX ( I never do that unless its absolutely necessary!

Any ideas?

Geoff
 
Hi all,

I have been using the FSX object placement tool for some time now and it has worked very well for placing both my custom objects and other stuff.

I am forced to the conclusion that these objects do not exist but how to clear out the list? Does anybody know enough about the inner workings of FSX to know where this list is maintained? (I even looked in the registry), or is there a way to globally search FSX for a particular GUID?

I am even considering re-installing FSX ( I never do that unless its absolutely necessary!

Any ideas?

Geoff

I started out using OPT and now am using Whisplacer (http://lc0277.nerim.net/whisplacer.html) it will keep track of libaries including the original FSX ones and third party ones. I use Arno's Library Creator XML 2.0 to make my libaries. Hope this helps.
 
Whisplacer

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes now I start reading the problems others have had with OPT I am also moving to Whisplacer. I have it running and connected, trying to figure out how to place anything other than one of the Edwards Hangers! - But I think it will work fine its cool that you can see the object in an active instance of FS.

Geoff
 
Whisplacer

OK gottit working!

Very cool thank goodness for not having to deal with OPT anymore. Thanks again Bill and thanks to lc

Geoff
 
I don't think there is much you can do about the OPT problem, I don't think anybody knows where that list is maintained (if so, we would add our own objects with proper names as well). So using Whisplacer sounds like a smart move to me :).
 
Back
Top