One-Way Runway

Did I read correctly that someone (Jim) got one-way runways working properly? :)

Just tick the boxes and it works, or did we have to "trick" the system?

Hi olseric
not sure what you mean by "one-way" rwy's
do you mean Xwind or non parallel rwy's?
or do you want landing on one rwy and takeoff on the other with parallel rwy's?

Ray

olseric

If you are reading my EHAM readme then yes it does elude to oneway runways. I did not say which in my readme but 36R is closed for TO and open for landing and 36L is closed for landing but open for Takeoff, and all 18's are open for Takeoff, etc.

EHAM also has a weight restriction for RWY 04/22 where even the B747's parked at maintenance will not be vectored by ATC to use that runway but the small planes (less then 74000lbs EW) will be vectored to it for both Takeoff and Landing. For Landing the Large Planes including the User flying a B747 etc. will be vectored to the VORDME RWY 24 which is a curved approach from the PAM VOR if you watch the AI Landing. The User Plane is also required to fly this approach regardless of weather visibility if ATC assigns it to you on arrival. Of course you can decline and choose a ILS 27, or a ILS 18C/R

It is a little more involved then just clicking a box to close a runway and make it oneway or restrict the size plane that would normally use a runway.

The Home Version does not have the ability to try and close a runway oneway. The Pro Version will have the ability but I will also have to write up a tutorial on how FSX honors closed runways. In some cases it will work for some airports and then again it may not work based on such things as a default ILS.

I have it on my platter to try and explain how FSX treats a closed runway but we are still working on the Home Version to make it the utility of choice. We will then move into the arena that lays out the "what if's" and "can I do this or that" and "how do I" get certain size airplanes to use certain length runways, etc.

This is what my new released EHAM is all about. It shows the power of ADE Home in its current form and what the Pro version may be able to do in the future with a little nudging from the designer.

We here at ADE have a common goal to make a airport look good but allow the designer to push the envelope in User/AI Plane behavior that no other Airport Facility Utility has ever addressed.

Stay tuned for more exciting things to come from ADE for both Home and Pro Edition Versions.

Last edited:
Hmm quite interesting...may have to dissect this a bit and see what I can learn. I've been searching for something to make 17/35 at MSP one-way as it is in reality.

Then again, since I fly exclusively online, guess it really doesn't affect me. ;)

No 18R landings

Hello Jvile,

I like what you did with EHAM. It looks great.
I have a question about landings on rwy 18R and 18L. When i look at the AI planes landing i see no landings on 18R but a lot on 18L. In your Readme you wrote that the 18L is not used for landings and 18R is. (One-Way runways) It seems not to work with me. Maybe you know what the problem is?

Hello Wschoen

what I said in the readme is

11. Some runways are closed on one end only for departure and/or arrival
I was very careful not to include a list of what runways are set up closed/open (at least I don't think I did) except what I have posted here so far. A lot of it depends on your weather settings that I did not go into in my readme.

I wished I could have done more for RWY 18L but ATC would have no part of it when weather is clear. In my testing the prefered arrival runways are 18C, 22, 24, 27 with very few landings on 18R. Very few arrivals will be vectored to land on 18R due to the Visual Zone and arrival headings but it is a open runway and several Easy Jets (B737's) are vectored to it based on time of day.

The only way I could stop AI Planes from using 18L for arrival was to close 36R completely (clear weather). My testing does show a few planes landing 18L but not many. RWY 36R is closed for takeoff but not landing when winds are from the North.

Everything I am saying here is for severe clear weather. If you set the visibity to less then 3 miles then NO Planes land on 18L but when weather is greater the 3 mile vis you will see some planes using 18L for landing. How Many? Depends on FP's in use and what wind speeds in kts are set at. If winds are from the South, Southwest at 8 kts and clear visibility AI Planes generally will avoid runway 18L for arrival and use the Preferential runway system.

All these rules change based on weather and EHAM becomes even more realistic with Arrivals and Departures based on runway usage.

The Preferential runway system at EHAM says preferably a runway equipped with ILS will be selected for landing. However that is not mandatory again based on weather.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask more if needed.

Last edited:
For those that are reading this I would also like to explain that if you are using SP1a you will not see all the enhancements at EHAM or some of the other airports in the package.

SP2 has many more varieties of 3d autogen, scenery Library Objects, etc. which I used in building these FSX compliant airports.

In SP1a these additional added scenery objects do not display even if you turn your sliders to full.

If someone designs a airport using SP1a and the User has SP2 on their computer there can be possible problems with scenery placement due to the way SP2 calls GUIDS.

If the designer uses SP2 and designs a airport then SP1a works just fine but leaves out certain added scenery.

Jim,

You are right, when i set the visibilty les then 3m no planes are landing on 18L. I saw even 1 landing on 18R. Do these weather settings even influance the options for landing for the user plane. Ik saw no 18R in the selection list for landing runways when on appr. I didn't try it with less then 3m vis though.
I want to use ADE on your BGL to close 04/22. Can i do that without messing things up in your BGL?

I have the acceleration pack installed and i believe this has SP2 included or i must be misinformed.

Do these weather settings even influance the options for landing for the user plane.
Yes

Ik saw no 18R in the selection list for landing runways when on appr.
I will have to recheck that but 18R should be listed regardless of weather.

I have the acceleration pack installed and i believe this has SP2 included or i must be misinformed.
that gives you SP2

I want to use ADE on your BGL to close 04/22. Can i do that without messing things up in your BGL?
the bgl is very complex. I would not recommend using any utilty to close 04/22 since I have all the scenery objects, excludes, Libray GUID's, embedded that ADE HOME is not designed to handle. ADE PRO will have that capibility.

That does not say you can't close runay 04/22 but it must be done at a XML level. BUT, if you do close 04/22 it has a ILS on one end and ATC is still going to land airplanes on that end of that runway regardless.

Quote:
Ik saw no 18R in the selection list for landing runways when on appr.

After checking this and my notes, for some reason I made 18R a side step to 18C and don't know why.

Until I have a better answer you can ask ATC for any Transition or type approach (GPS, RNAV, etc) to runway 18R but you must also ask for a sidestep to 18C because 18R is not listing in the ATC menu. like I said I did this for some reason that escapes me and my notes at the moment.

If you continue on the ATC approved GPS/RNAV approach to 18R and don't sidestep to 18C but land on 18R, ATC will not penelize you and will give you taxi instructions to a parking stand.