• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Orbx 2cm

Country
unitedstates
So i saw orbx's new scenery and it said that they used 2cm imagery but i though fsx can only handle 7cm, so what would be the point of using something that isn't fully shown, or was fsx tweaked?

The 7cm limitation is for resampled imagery only, so I'd assume this is something else. Textured polys can really be any resolution.
I don't know if Orbx give any info on how this is done, but their website seems to be down at the moment...

Country
germany
Interesting thread, thanks!
I was also asking myself how ORBX could have managed it and my tip was normal groundpolys with lots of layers - which would have affected performance in a negative way I think.

So this means the FSX.cfg has to be tweaked just like the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD parameter is at 1024 by default. So ORBX must have a program or something which tweaks the FSX.cfg automatically otherwise their scenery won't work correctly? But what if one resets the cfg?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Without the tweak you would see maximum 7 cm. I doubt many people see the difference. As Dick indicated in the other thread, the range you can see it is small anyway.

Send from my phone using Tapatalk, so excuse the short sentences and possible typos

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The range is so close to your viewpoint, that you only see a very few meters in any direction, before it switches to a lower LOD. So if this is for resampled imagery, it's a waste of time and effort... but there may be some advertising value, as this thread indicates. :)

If these refer to textured polygons, then 2cm may well give a stunning sense of realism. But honestly, this would be for screenshots and sight-seeing. You're not going to notice that detail during a 250 mph fly-by.

Dick

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
That how they did it then i was just asking my self how is it 2cm but know i know, thanks

A

Aviasim

With custom ground polygons you could go to 1mm/pixel, but that would REALLY be alot of textures for the ground and probably take GB's of space just for that.

2cm/pixel is really nice, I thought 10cm/pixel was nice, even when flying past at mach 1, so I imagine 2cm will be absolutely stunning, it would be nice to see all that extra detail, since it will/may save on making other ground poly layers, therefore less extra textures.

I very highly doubt 2cm/pixel will even touch the FPS

Country
germany
If properly used high texture resolutions are no performance brake. With modern hardware anyway no more problem. In addition, it is time to take more advantage of the graphics card in FSX/P3D. I am currently using 1cm/pix FSX/P3D native polys adapted over appropriate terrain and very pleased with the outcome and performance.

Then the 7cm/pix resample brake of the old engine is no more a problem ;).

I believe that the way they achieved this is to make the entire airport a model - everything from the runway itself to all the surrounding buildings etc.