• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 P3Dv5 bridges not excluding

Country
us-missouri
Did the GUID for excluding roads in P3Dv5 change? Pretty sure I used to assign {560FA8E6-723D-407D-B730-AE08039102A5} to my statewide shapefile for excluding roads in v4 (the folder where I stored all my ScenProc scripts got wiped by accident) and now I can't get rid of stock extrusion bridges. According to the v5 SDK, {560FA8E6-723D-407D-B730-AE08039102A5} is a "Unique ID (does not go into the simulation)" and it lists {1B6A15BB-05FB-4401-A8D1-BB520E84904C} as the texture GUID. I have tried both, and still get my bridges on top of the stock bridges. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Country
us-missouri
... or perhaps I am having this problem because extrusion bridges come from BGL and not vectors, and I am noticing this in P3Dv5 because there weren't many stock bridges in v4 to begin with?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

To get rid of the extrusion bridges you would need an xml exclude. That's different from a terrain vector exclude for roads.

Country
us-missouri
Is there a way of turning extrusion bridge XML data generated by ScenProc into an exclusion rectangle file? Hawaii looks great with my custom bridges, but it's kind of a mess when they are tangled up with the default bridges.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
You can make the excludes with scenproc as well. The main challenge is to select the right area. At the moment there is no way to select the bounding rectangle of a set of features. Maybe you can manually make a polygon for it and use that for the exclude?

Country
us-missouri
I was experimenting with different ways of generating data from OSM's bridge data to get EXCLUDE_EXTRUSION_BRIDGES to work but wasn't successful. Seems like there would be a way to tell ScenProc to expand line data into a polygon and use that, but none of my ideas have worked. Typing in the forum usually gives me good ideas (and sometimes I can even find a solution before I hit "post reply"), so maybe I can extract the stock P3D bridges from CVX data and work with that.

Country
us-missouri
I wonder if there would be much harm in simply renaming the BRX.bgl files until I come across a way to exclude them.

Country
germany
Here's a great exclude (as an xml file) that clears the Hawaiian island of O'ahu of EXCLUDE_EXTRUSION_BRIDGES.

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<FSData
   version="9.0"
   xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
   xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">
   <ExclusionRectangle
      latitudeMinimum="21.1586410179734"
      latitudeMaximum="21.8260604515672"
      longitudeMinimum="-158.464334607124"
      longitudeMaximum="-157.483611702919"
      excludeAllObjects="FALSE"
      excludeExtrusionBridgeObjects="TRUE"
      />
</FSData>

You just have to compile this xml file to a BGL and register it in P3D and the bridges on this island are gone.

For the other Hawaiian islands you just have to adjust the coordinates and then recompile the xml file.

Country
us-missouri
I had considered that, but I could have sworn I'd seen @GaryGB mention (quote below) that it was better to use many small exclusion rectangles than to do one big one. But I'll go with your solution in the meantime, as it sounds better than renaming the BRX.bgls

"It is specied that such excludes be as small as possible, preferably (1) per object to be suppressed from display at run time."

Last edited:
Country
germany
I can't tell you if one big exclude or many small ones is better.
But as long as it works, I would use what makes less work.
For an island it shouldn't make any difference, since you want to delete all bridges.
On the mainland it is more difficult to limit the area, so that you don't delete too many bridges.

Country
us-missouri
Until directed otherwise, I'll go with your plan. Simple is good, and like you point out, the islands are perfect for a one-size-fits-all exclusion rectangle.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Chris:

This use of (only) the Extrusion Bridge option in an Exclusion Rectangle 'may' work according to the P3Dv5 SDK docs:

I have not yet tested whether the maximum geographic extent for functionality allowed by this XML Element is a LOD-5 / QMID-7 Quad-sized area.

MS FSX / L-M P3D Terrain Grid Quad vertices are fixed in size, and are known and calculable as Geographic coordinates.

One may construct smaller Exclusion Rectangles that are not exact whole-Quad extent sizes as evidenced by this criteria that is retro-compatible to at least FS2000:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-missouri
Then Plan B sounds almost as easy, thanks as always Gary! By the way, I remember you said you had climbed Mount Whitney before. I just flew over Mount Williamson this morning. Have you climbed that one too? After Whitney, which is less than ten miles away, Williamson is the second-highest peak in the Lower 48.

Country
us-illinois
I did not have the opportunity to climb Mt. Williamson years ago when I climbed Mt. Whitney (twice) in the 1970's.

But Mt. Williamson made a very good photograph when I drove by on HWY 395. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Are you calling your scenProc script in batch mode? In that case you could do something like this to create a rectangle from the current extend and use that to make the exclude:

Code:
CreateRectangle|@0@|String;type|excl
#
CreateXMLExcludeRectangle|type="excl"|EXCLUDE_EXTRUSION_BRIDGES

If not in batch mode something similar could be done with the extends of the current grid cell being processed, but I would have to modify the CreateRectangle step to support that. Might be a good addition.

Country
us-missouri
I peeked at batch mode before, but that was when I didn't know much about scripting. I still don't know much, but I know more than I did, so I will definitely check that process out!

Out of curiosity I looked to see what the highest point in the Netherlands was and it's actually lower than Missouri's tallest point (Tom Sauk Mountain, which I have "climbed" several times). Do the Dutch need oxygen at the summit of Vaalserberg @arno? Because it's probably wishful thinking on my part but the air feels a lot cooler and thinner at 1,772 feet (above seal level) at Tom Sauk.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

So you are making the whole island from one script? In that case making multiple exclude rectangles would mean you have to use SplitGrid somewhere in your script. Do you do that already now?

We call the highest point of the Netherlands a mountain, while it is no more than a hill of course. I have actually been there a few weeks ago for the first time in my life, while cycling in that area. It was a nice climb to make. I can't say it felt a lot colder. But it should make about 2 degrees difference from sea level.

Country
us-missouri
My cousin recently traveled to Europe to do some biking. It would be interesting to be able to ride around and see buildings that are several hundred years old -- if not older. So much history to appreciate.

So far I have been making bridges one state at a time from OSM data. When I add a new state I expand my rectangle's coverage area and recompile the exclude XML. It wouldn't surprise me if there are better ways of doing this, but I haven't noticed an issue so far.

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
Hi everyone. As of P3D 5.3, I can't seem to exclude extrusion bridges at all using exclusion rectangles. For instance, here's an exclusion I made for the Glenn Jackson bridge at KPDX. It compiles fine, but does nothing to remove the bridge now. Has anyone else battled this?

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<FSData
   version="9.0"
   xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
   xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">
   <ExclusionRectangle
      latitudeMinimum="45.5480970"
      latitudeMaximum="45.6310095"
      longitudeMinimum="-122.5108720"
      longitudeMaximum="-122.5778311"
      excludeAllObjects="FALSE"
      excludeExtrusionBridgeObjects="TRUE"
      />
</FSData>

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. This was one of those cases where the bridge was actually a library object and not extrusion. When I switched the exclude to eliminate library objects, all was well. Sometimes the darn things look an awful lot like extrusions!

Last edited: