• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Placing Autogen with Annotator

Messages
38
Country
us-michigan
I have been working with the autogen on my first scenery project and I am very happy with the progress but I am getting a little hung up in one aspect. I am wondering what the best way to 'precisely' place trees would be.

The problem is a few areas where there is a thinner line of trees. I want some good coverage over this but so far I either get one or two trees in a line that I would like to see have at least 4 or 5 with medium settings OR the trees don't conform very well with the line defined by the photo texture underneath and scatter outwards a bit. Placing a regular vegetation rectangle over the line results in the sparse coverage and outlining it with a polygon region ends up messy.

What is the best method for this? I know that I can change the 'resolution' with which FSX conforms to autogen placement areas and can make it more precise but I am trying to design this scenery so that it will look best with mostly default settings. I thought about placing several of the vegetation rectangles in the line... would that help? I am just having issues keeping a balance between dense coverage vs. staying in the lines!

Bonus question: what happens if I overlap placements? If I have scrub, could I blend it with forest by having the regions overlap some?

Thanks much!

Ian
 
I think a good idea is to use tools like Fencebuilder, or FsxKml, you can place lines of objects, in this case trees, though I have not tried yet :cool:
 
I think a good idea is to use tools like Fencebuilder, or FsxKml, you can place lines of objects, in this case trees, though I have not tried yet :cool:
FsxKml could ve giving problems because google earth have updated and seem make problems with FsxKml, no sure.
 
My fear of using objects as opposed to autogen is that I would lose seasonal variation. If I knew I could place them as objects in something like ADEX and maintain seasonal variation I would definitely do that! So far I haven't had any luck with that, however.
 
I only see the pratical, I think you just need a line (google earth kml) or path,as usually are named, and choose your object I only have experimenting with thelephon poles, I tihink it's very easy, but I did not think about the season effectively.
 
That is a fantastic idea for the telephone poles near my airport! Getting the changing seasons is my big problem for sure. Since the airport is in the northern U.S. it goes through a hard winter so I need snow or it looks a bit funny! I will keep experimenting though. Does anyone have any insight on how FS might treat the autogen placements differently? I am talking about the vegetation rectangles versus the polygon region option. If I knew the logic behind the two different methods it might serve me in adjusting accordingly.
 
If you use one of the "city" varieties of trees they don't include "sets" so they won't "scatter outwards" as you've mentioned. You can make very small veg rectangles that represent basically a single tree. Rather than draw every tiny little rectangle, you can copy one (or one hundred for that matter) and paste it numerous times with a right click.

Jim
 
Thanks, Jim, I will definitely give this a try! I knew there had to be some little trick to it since I have seen very precisely placed autogen in other scenery.
 
Back
Top