• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Problem animating in 3DS max 2017

Hello,
I just setup a very simple animation in 3ds max.
When i export it in 3DS format, and i try to reimport it in MCX, the animation looks broken and everything is messed up.
I attach the .max file for your reference.
Can someone help me to find out why?
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• wiper3.zip
    537.7 KB · Views: 175

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Why are you exporting in 3DS format and messing with MCX? Why not simply export as an .x file and then compile it with XtoMDL.exe, which is of course the normal way of creating .mdl files.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Why are you exporting in 3DS format and messing with MCX? Why not simply export as an .x file and then compile it with XtoMDL.exe, which is of course the normal way of creating .mdl files.

Because on some days, you don't have the model source files and need to merge a custom designed animation to an exisiting .mdl file (for personal use until you receive permission). ;)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The 3DS format can store animations, although from MCX I never got it fully working.

Does the 3DS file look OK if you import it back into 3DS Max?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Can you not just use the merge objects tool to add the .x file animated sub model to the model you intend to edit?

The reimported 3ds looks ok in 3ds max.
I found out that FXB exported from 3ds max works well in MCX.
Yes Heretic, that is exactly the need.
I am putting moving wipers and windshield rain drops effect on the old FSX CRJ-700.
Unfortunately i think i will not permitted to share it.
Thanks!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The reimported 3ds looks ok in 3ds max.
I found out that FXB exported from 3ds max works well in MCX.
Yes Heretic, that is exactly the need.
I am putting moving wipers and windshield rain drops effect on the old FSX CRJ-700.
Unfortunately i think i will not permitted to share it.
Thanks!

Have you seen this?
http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/default-crj-700-vc-rework.436719/

Other than that, and as Rick said, importing an .x or .mdl file is all you need to merge things into models.

Thanks Heretic!
Actually, modestly, i think i am doing something extremely superior, in visuals particularly.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I think it is tongue in cheek. You ought to see his "Chemtrails are Real" video, he covers all aspects and without insulting conspiracists, manages to be very humorous.

@Heretic Nope, it is Scaleform. The real and only noteworthy addition LM did. Pity that almost none of payware's developers use it.
Maybe the TrueGlass from TFDi is made of Scaleform, but i don't have their product.
@n4gix Thanks, I am going very slow with this CRJ, but it will be a little jewel.

Do anyone got a good rain video footage? Possibly with black background. It could help to improve the effect i developed.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
@Heretic Nope, it is Scaleform. The real and only noteworthy addition LM did. Pity that almost none of payware's developers use it.
Maybe the TrueGlass from TFDi is made of Scaleform, but i don't have their product.

A quick googling tells me that Scaleform basically provides a Flash-driven vector graphics engine to be used for UIs and HUDs.
This offers quite a bit of possibilities. Rain on every geometry, fogging windows, icing on surfaces...

It is exactly that.
It offers unlimited possibilities.
You could create a simple 3D planar surface, and make it a web browser :D, play a movie, a complex gauge or anything you want you can do with Flash.
The included SDK setups for Scaleform makes the magic of reading the sim variables in Flash (and make Flash write them back ofcourse), and you can do ANYTHING you like...
Something that is very hard to do with common gauge programming like the PFD display fading to black when turned off, with Scaleform it's child's play.
I am very skillfull in Flash Actionscripting (while i do suck about standard P3D gauges programming :D ), so you can imagine my happiness when they implemented it.
I still don't understand why nobody knows it :)

BTW, i am doing progressess with my CRJ rework. I just finished remodelling from scratch the autopilot panel.
Soon i will make a thread about it.

Last edited: