Problems at new host

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi all,

In this thread I will report the problems that are currently know for the new host:

• Uploads not working on the Wiki

Please feel free to report problems you have found,

Last edited:
Just logged in today. Typed in username and placed checkmark in remember me box.
Then entered password. When I finished, I clicked the logOut. Later today, I came back only to find out my username does not appear and I have to re-enter both username and password. Using windows xp with sp-3 and Internet 6. Does some setting need to be changed? If so, could you tell me where.

Bobbyjack, I failed to mention that the normal "do you want windows to remember, ect" never showed up when logging into fsdeveloper! Everytime I go to a new site, I always get that message-except here. That is why I was thinking I might have overlooked a hidden choice, or something.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

As said, when you logout I think the cookie that remembers you is removed. It is a IE function that the username can still be remembered for the textbox, but I am not aware that we changed anything to prevent that from happening.

Bobbyjack, I failed to mention that the normal "do you want windows to remember, ect" never showed up when logging into fsdeveloper! Everytime I go to a new site, I always get that message-except here. That is why I was thinking I might have overlooked a hidden choice, or something.
This has nothing to do with any host...it is a feature of the browser you use. I use firefox (ie is crap beyond crap) and have never had a problem with the remember me...that is NOT the host. Let me say this again:

remember me feature is NOT NOT NOT NOT the host.

The only thing that is controlled by the host (and usually not the host but rather the software being used ON the host) is setting of a cookie and length of the cookie.

So, and I am sure he already did this when they moved, but Arno could check in the forum settings and make sure the cookie is still being sent and check the length of the time set by the cookie.. Some set for like 1 hour. Some for 24 hours. Some for a year.

If the cookie is set, then maybe you need to ask the host tech support to check why it isn't working from their end. I know, at least with my host, that their tech support is almost instant (usually under 5 minutes when a ticket is submitted) and they have even upgraded the server computer when I asked for some new features.. All at no charge to me. I have been with them for years now because of their service and have referred more than 100 people to them that now use them as well.. I am sure other hosts have the same quality service....sometimes you just have to ask. :)

- Greg

ps: Use firefox if you want much faster and nicer web browsing experience... :) And the host does NOT have anything to do with 'remember login/pw' feature.. :)

Gerg
How was your trip?

FWIW, I have never had a login problem with IE. Is there a setting in Firefox that will let me save an internet download to a folder of my choice? Default settings save to the last folder something was saved to, which is a no go for me as far as Firefox is concerned. Plus I still can't go to a few places with Firefox. I see no speed difference. I'm not knocking it, I'm just not seeing any advantage to it. I have to use it if I want to see work webmail on Vista.

Bob

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Bob,

If you go to Tools -> Options you can set the default download folder.

Gerg
How was your trip?

FWIW, I have never had a login problem with IE. Is there a setting in Firefox that will let me save an internet download to a folder of my choice? Default settings save to the last folder something was saved to, which is a no go for me as far as Firefox is concerned. Plus I still can't go to a few places with Firefox. I see no speed difference. I'm not knocking it, I'm just not seeing any advantage to it. I have to use it if I want to see work webmail on Vista.

Bob
Yeah...what Arno said.. :)

I save EVERYTHING to my desktop, that way I know where it is, and I can then move it when I feel like it to where I want it...or if installer, just install and then delete. I have luxury of many hd's and many TB of space.. and my C drive is ONLY for the system software...I never install anything there. I have it set as 18 gig drive to handle the system, the crap other programs THINKS must be stored on the system drive, and my desktop crap. My default drive for the system apps and such is my D drive. Set it in registry and never again worry about auto installers dumping crap on the system drive. :)

Any site that does NOT allow firefox is a crap site and should not be used anyways. IE uses what ms has decided should be valid coding. I have coded web sites for almost 20 years now and have been member of the W3 since it started... Firefox uses 100% W3 standards in it's coding. I don't even go out of my way anymore to facilitate IE browsers when I code web sites. If people insist on using an inferior product that thinks it is better than the world wide standards, then they see what they see... If they want to see a great site, then they must use a great browser. :) I have several sites that if you use IE to go to them, you get a page telling you sorry bout your luck....get a real browser if you want access. Harsh..but a fact. You state you can't get on a few sites with firefox...that is because they are coded by lame people that can't bother to use correct W3 coding...MS did one thing...they went after the lowest common denominator when making IE accept crap html code... in other words, the simple man could toss together a bunch of crap, call it a web site, and IE would always show it. They didn't even have to know anything about how to properly code a web site. Thus, if a site won't take FF, you know it has been coded by a moron!!!! :) Again, harsh but true....and for anyone that uses frontpage....seriously.... learn how to CORRECTLY CODE a web page... I can take a one page frontpage created site and find at least 20 errors in the code... It has gotten better over last few years...but not much at all.

To tell you in a quick example how crappy ie (MS) is.... Firefox had tabs 4 years before IE finally realized people wanted them. MS thought they had the market wrapped up and stated in a news release: "WE don't see the need for tabs. The user can just open a new window if they want another site." That was in direct response to a question about why FF was gaining such popularity when it first came out. Then MS said this, in reply to a question about memory and bloat.... "Most computers have plenty of memory now days, and the overhead stack memory used by opening extra windows shouldn't be a problem for the average user." Are you freaking serious!!!!???!!!???

Anyways, its not necessarily a speed issue.. It's an issue of what is better for the end user...and what gives more bang for the free buck.. hehe FF has 1000's of plug-ins you can add to do almost anything.. Oh, and when I must create pages that work in IE...I use the IE tab add-on for FF. The 3 greatest plugs for FF:

Sxipper - you simply must have it if you use the web...(remembers securely pw's, personal data, financial info..etc...)

NoScript - again, no more attacking web sites, ads you don't want, or scripts clogging up your browser memory if you don't want to see them.

Google Preview - shows previews of the web sites found in google and yahoo searches...

I have over 40 add-ons installed... IE can't even come close to doing what my FF does...

- Greg

***** Sorry for the ranting...but as a web designer, MS and IE and Frontpage really make me sick!!!! All views here are MINE and mine alone!!! They don't represent anyone else on this site unless that person says they do...

EDIT: Oh, and my trip was amazing!!! Going back in October or November I hope... Many pics will be online soon....I'll post a link when they are.. Thanks for asking.

Gerg

Uncle,uncle...

As a pro, your internet needs a far above mine. I'm just happy to be able to get on the internet:) The one site I recall that I could not go to was a city site where I paid my water bill. Didn't make any difference if a bozo designed it or not, I couldn't use FF to go there. Maybe they've fixed it by now.

But my question remains. As I surf around, I can save drivers directly to my driver folder, software to my application folder, utilities to my tool folder, etc. My desktop is already cluttered with so many icons, I don't need downloads there also.

Lookind forward to pics.

Bob

n4gix

Resource contributor
The only things on my Desktop are icons to launch my most frequently used programs...

Cluttered desktops remind me of a customer who brought his 'puter in for service many years ago (DOS 5.1 days)...

He had installed everything to the C drive root directory! There was not one single sub-directory to be found... :eek:

The only things on my Desktop are icons to launch my most frequently used programs...

Cluttered desktops remind me of a customer who brought his 'puter in for service many years ago (DOS 5.1 days)...

He had installed everything to the C drive root directory! There was not one single sub-directory to be found... :eek:
haha... My desktop gets about 75 or so things on it (granted, I have 2 screens at 1280x960..so much room) and then I drop them all into a folder on another drive called 'Desktop crap'..LOL That folder, (it's a sickness I tell ya...) has ...one sec, I'll give you exact numbers....

472 web page links
819 graphics
210 text files
148 word docs
13 mp3's
73 program alias's
68 pdf's
36 flash files
192 zip/rar files
21 folders with other crap in them....

Every year or so I will go in and trash most of it...then let it start again for about a year...sometimes 2 years.... hehe depends on my mood.

Bobby, while I rather like the name Gerg (like looking in a mirror) it's actually Greg.. LOL don't sweat it.... I am the guy that when asked: Is that 1 G or 2? by people, I always reply, 2 G's (which they think means Gregg).. I then explain that there is a G at the start and a G at the end.....other wise it would be either Gre or Reg.... LOL Been doing that since I was 10 or 11... Got in trouble at school when I said it to a teacher once...that's how I remember when it was... hehe

- Greg

Greg

Sorry...I can't type or spell. You should see the mistakes I catch. And as for my user name...I hate Bobby Jack. I can still hear my mother calling me from two blocks away... "Bobby Jack. Bobby Jack, time for dinner."

But , I never forget my user name.

Anyway, sorry man. I thought the rule was "e before r inside double g's".

Boob