Proposed C Gauge Development Manual

n4gix

Resource contributor
I've been in discussion with Dai Griffiths of Dragonflight Design, the author of the long-running "SD2Gauge" series, which is now on Rev.23. (sd2gau23.zip at AVSIM and FlightSim).

Several of "us" at AVSIM have suggested that he might consider making the entire contents (currently 103 pages) available via a Wiki so that it will become a "living document" that may be expanded upon or corrected for content more easily.

Several questions have arisen for which I have no ready answers:

1. Would FSDeveloper.com be interested in having Dai's most excellent resource for C gauge development as one of the Wiki "Manuals?"

2. Dai provides working example gauge files as part of the sd2gau23.zip file. Is there a way to have such files Uploaded to the Wiki server and have them as downloadable links? I see that there's a way to host images and link to them in an article, but don't see any way to upload and link to any .zip files.

3. Would anyone be willing to work with Dai to accomplish this task? I am a complete ignoramous and would be useless at the task, although I'm quite willing to assist him in copy-pasting "chapters" of his base document for later advanced editing/formating/presentation.

Dai Griffiths may be reached at: dragonflightdesign@simpilot.net

n4gix

Resource contributor
Dai,

Welcome! I have been doing some "Wiki Experimentation" on the fs.com Wiki by migrating some of the "Sticky Posts" from my Panel & Gauges Forum to the new Wiki there.

During the course of my poking around, I've found a cool set of Virtual Basic Macros that will allow one to convert any Word document into a "Wikized" format pretty much automatically.

It is also supposed to convert and upload any images automatically, but predictably that part failed for me, probably because I'm doing something wrong... :censored:

Here is the new Wiki entry for my FSX - Emissive Texturing article:

http://forums.flightsim.com/fswiki/index.php/FSX_-_Emissive_Textures

In any case, I'm hoping that Paul (or someone else) will chime in here with some help and suggestions! :D

Last edited:
Nicely formated Bill. About the only critisim I have is that IMHO Wiki entries should avoid first person for obvious reasons, despite that fact that it is you who spent countless hours figuring it out and posting it. =)

BTW, glad you liked my transparent 3-view setup. I got some professional modeling training, and that was one of many cool things I picked up. =)

One other humble suggestion is that where possible and time permits a picture of the "mistake" be included so as to help the novice understand more clearly. (Like the dreaded black poly).

Anyway, glad the Wiki is beginning to get used.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Oh, I should mention that I discovered the reason why the "automatic upload" of the converted images failed...

It's actually quite obvious once I paid attention to the process. Since this is a VB script, it is obviously customized for a particular Wiki configuration, which won't necessarily match every Wiki configuration.

Were I faced with migrating a LOT of stuff from a Word .doc file to Wiki, it would be worth editing the VB script(s).

Hi Folks

During the course of my poking around, I've found a cool set of Virtual Basic Macros that will allow one to convert any Word document into a "Wikized" format pretty much automatically.
Bill -
I'd be interested in those.
Any URL appreciated.
Were they for MediaWiki ?

In any case, I'm hoping that Paul (or someone else) will chime in here with some help and suggestions! :D
I've only gone chasing howto info, as and when I'd required it. :D

Just looked at the mediawiki site,
and it shows that many file type up/downloads are supported,
seemingly it's a question of the admin configuring.
Given that it's unlikely that there'd be hundreds of zips uploaded, it might be easiest if an admin performed that manually.

EDIT
Oooops....
after all that, just realised,
anything uploaded to mediawiki goes to their central servers,
and is then available worldwide. :eek:
Probably not appropriate for these zip files.

How about just placing them in the FS-Developer downloads, (appropriate). :idea:
Then just inserting a link to there in the wiki.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Sounds like a manual that would be very welcome on the Wiki. If I can help with that just let me know.

How about just placing them in the FS-Developer downloads, (appropriate). :idea:
Then just inserting a link to there in the wiki.
Just make sure I get the file and then I will put it in the downloads sections, after that it can be linked from the Wiki tutorial as well.

n4gix

Resource contributor
What I'd propose as a good strategy for this would be to have the version here at FSEdveloper.com be the "living document" version, and an edited "definitive" version could be placed on my FlightSim.com Wiki for the "general public" to access.

By adopting this strategy, the "Definitive Version" is protected, and Dai would retain editorial control, but the "Living Version" would be available for any gauge programmer to make additions or corrections in real time.

This seems the "best of both worlds" as far as I can see.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Unfortunately everything has hit the 'hold' button ATM; RL has dealt me the death of a close family member/friend, plus another is now very sick in hospital.

I'll get back to this just as soon as the excrement and the big whirly thing part company, but it looks like it could be a while yet.

-Dai :(

n4gix

Resource contributor
Unfortunately everything has hit the 'hold' button ATM; RL has dealt me the death of a close family member/friend, plus another is now very sick in hospital.

I'll get back to this just as soon as the excrement and the big whirly thing part company, but it looks like it could be a while yet.

-Dai :(
Oh dear, Dai! My prayers - whatever they're worth - are with you during this time of stress.

We aren't going anywhere, and will keep a candle burning in the window for you.