• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Red collision lights.

Country
norway
Hi,

I need to put some red collision-lights on a mountain some km away from an airport. I tried to use light-row/light prefix but got a message that I was too far from the airport. Is there another way to create a red light that shows in a distance? And at the same time, how can I remove default red collision lights that does not exist in real life? Tried to exclude it with a polygon but I can't seem to remove them....not even default street light either. Any solution out there?

Country
italy
You could add a Polygon giving it the "Airport Area" flag to place a light row. Light rows and any item which hierarchically fall under the "airport" macro category need to be in in airport area, whether it be an Airport Object area or a fake airport area made with a polygon :)

Country
norway
Thanks that's useful...:) Does it mean that I can use this method even if I don't have an airport but only scenery as long as I define it "Airport Area"?

Country
norway
Hmm...I have created a polygon and checked the box "Airport Area". If i try to make a light row inside the polygon, I can't do it. Normally if I have an airport, I go to properties and create a light preset. But I can't do that since I do not have an airport. How exactly can I do this with only the polygon and not the airport?

Country
italy
The light row Is a child of the airport object, child can't go anywhere without parents

So you Need an Aiport to use light rows

The polygon Is used to define an airport area, the larger, the more you can go using Aiport related objects (like aprons, painted lines etc)

If you strongly Need a proper light you can create a take Airport, but strongly discourage doing It

At the moment there Is *No* way to use a proper light outside of Aiports (if It has been possible other Devs like Puffinflight - We love VFR- would already done that!)

You can try to achieve a light effect with lods
Using a emissive sphere with size increasing each lod, wrapped in a Simobject to Hide It during daytime

We have a developers SDK q&a next month, could be a great question for Asobo

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
norway
The light row Is a child of the airport object, child can't go anywhere without parents

So you Need an Aiport to use light rows

The polygon Is used to define an airport area, the larger, the more you can go using Aiport related objects (like aprons, painted lines etc)

If you strongly Need a proper light you can create a take Airport, but strongly discourage doing It

At the moment there Is *No* way to use a proper light outside of Aiports (if It has been possible other Devs like Puffinflight - We love VFR- would already done that!)

You can try to achieve a light effect with lods
Using a emissive sphere with size increasing each lod, wrapped in a Simobject to Hide It during daytime

We have a developers SDK q&a next month, could be a great question for Asobo

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk
Ok, then I need an airport....thaks for the info. I really hope Asobo can make it easier to create lights in general...and remove lights!!

Country
italy
Hmm...I have created a polygon and checked the box "Airport Area". If i try to make a light row inside the polygon, I can't do it. Normally if I have an airport, I go to properties and create a light preset. But I can't do that since I do not have an airport. How exactly can I do this with only the polygon and not the airport?
Yep that's something I didn't consider. Mamu is totally right about needing an airport to create the LightRow preset. You can place them without it but not create them, which makes not much sense. The LOD thingy is a good way to do things but I'd rather go with some Alpha Glare instead (crossed vertical planes, usually 3 or 4 with a glare texture and alpha channel). For those I'd use 6/7 LODs for smoother transitions :)