• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Reflections vs wave size

Country
us-vermont
I would like to control the wave size, because I like the water to be reflective, but that means being forced to choose the 2 level water, which increases the wave size, which doesn't look too good on my lake..

I can find the textures, I changed the waterclass but I'm wary about the look of the textures that control the waves.

Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks.

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

AFAIK, prior to FSX SP2, most fixes / mods for FSX water involved texture changes such as you apparently are working with thus far.

IIUC, after FSX SP2, in both DX-9 and DX-10 modes those changes became more challenging to implement without also making changes to FSX "Shaders", and so now for in FSX SP2, most dramatic modifications seem to be achieved via edits and/or supplements to the FSX Shaders.

You may wish to consider checking out what can be done with "FSWater Configurator Lite" and Steve Parsons "DX10 fixes" in addition to what some "FS Environment" add-ons such as REX do to change the appearance of waves in FS water for both DX-9 and DX-10 modes.

Some links:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...36,d.aWc&fp=6152a874c491c8ab&biw=1067&bih=670

http://www.google.com/#output=searc...36,d.aWc&fp=6152a874c491c8ab&biw=1067&bih=670

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/48147-a-more-realistic-waterwave-texture/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/81305-problem-with-fsx-and-default-water/

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/arc...p-of-the-week-water-slider-and-fps-costs.aspx

"You have to understand FSX and its performance as a Socratic, holistic thing across all the subsystems and how they interact.

It’s really hard to (try and) use a simple Aristotelian breakdown as a vehicle to understanding FSX.
"

< I don't know about anybody else here, but I really miss having new posts to read by Phil Taylor on his philosophical overview of FSX ! :D >

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-vermont
Socrates aside......

As far as the water goes, (above post) the only thing I have seen from the air reflected on big wave oceans is the setting sun, and then more likely from ground level. Never clouds . However, my home lake Champlain (small waves) will reflect mountains, sun, and clouds to some extent, particularly in calm waters. Matching up big waves with cloud reflections seems to me Microsoft got it backwards.,

As to my post about autogen vectors

I can make a road along a KML line in FSX_KML.

What I am looking for is the lines of code I need to "wrap around" one of the upper level 'FANCY" guid's in the modified terrain.cfg.
If someone has a simple example of XML? code that embeds the guid AND the shapefile of the line vector, I can figure out where to go from there.
Drop the file on BglComp and get a BGL file. Hopefully.

Presumably high end apps like SBuilder? do that in the background somewhere, but I prefer not to grope my way around another high end app. My bad.

Someone has done this from basic principles. I know you are out there. Can you show me an example?

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
As far as the water goes, (above post) the only thing I have seen from the air reflected on big wave oceans is the setting sun, and then more likely from ground level. Never clouds . However, my home lake Champlain (small waves) will reflect mountains, sun, and clouds to some extent, particularly in calm waters. Matching up big waves with cloud reflections seems to me Microsoft got it backwards.

Hi John:

I don't know if it is possible to get a "full" environment reflection into the "active water" in FSX unless the FSX GUI water detail slider is on the highest setting (set fully to the right).

But it would certainly be interesting to see a more complete environment reflection within areas of the "active water" in FSX at a lower slider setting (ex: low 2.x or even 1.x high) with special texture mods. :)

As to my post about autogen vectors

I can make a road along a KML line in FSX_KML.

What I am looking for is the lines of code I need to "wrap around" one of the upper level 'FANCY" guid's in the modified terrain.cfg.
If someone has a simple example of XML? code that embeds the guid AND the shapefile of the line vector, I can figure out where to go from there.
Drop the file on BglComp and get a BGL file. Hopefully.

Presumably high end apps like SBuilder? do that in the background somewhere, but I prefer not to grope my way around another high end app. My bad.

Someone has done this from basic principles. I know you are out there. Can you show me an example?

I posted a reply in the context of your original thread regarding creation / use of custom FSX vector content at:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427193

Basically, if you are more familiar with how to work with FSX_KML, rather than learning how to do the vector additions / mods in application vector content config files for ADE or SBuilder, you may wish to implement the methods described for FSX_KML by editing a copy of the "FSX_KML_Tags.xml" ...as discussed in the above linked thread.

In that thread, see especially these links to threads regarding "FSX_KML_Tags.xml" at:

http://173-233-77-148.static.turnkeyinternet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=648330&postcount=7.

IIUC, once "FSX_KML_Tags.xml" is edited, you can use those new attributes to tag your vector lines right inside the FSX_KML GUI. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I would like to control the wave size, because I like the water to be reflective, but that means being forced to choose the 2 level water, which increases the wave size, which doesn't look too good on my lake..

FSWC+ intended to have a control for wave size, but development sort of stopped. You may want to ask Paul Wheeler, the person who was managing the shader edits for more information.

As far as the water goes, (above post) the only thing I have seen from the air reflected on big wave oceans is the setting sun, and then more likely from ground level. Never clouds . However, my home lake Champlain (small waves) will reflect mountains, sun, and clouds to some extent, particularly in calm waters. Matching up big waves with cloud reflections seems to me Microsoft got it backwards.,

Only the sun/sky is reflected in the Low 2.x setting. You need to set medium to have clouds, high to have terrain, and max to have objects.