FSX (Released) M.I.T. - Maintenance and Income Tool

Very cool project! Have you ever thought about other types of immersive tools such as a "Gate Agent Simulator"...things such as simulated oversold flights, issuing seat assignments, boarding, manifests, delayed and canceled flights, etc?

Heretic

Resource contributor
In the past few months, I've been rewriting the tool for X-Plane 11's Lua implementation as I've been missing it a lot and none of the existing tools provide what I want and need.
My original estimation was a few weekends of work at best, but all the testing and learning-on-the-go made things very slow. The biggest obstacles were getting a solid file input/output mechanic working to provide persistence, a good flight tracking logic and figuring out random number handling for failure generation. I think I got those nailed down by now and am tackling the failures themselves.

Before you get deluded into thinking that XML gauges can be easily converted for X-Plane: They can't. The only thing you can recycle and adapt is the overall logic and mathematical calculations. Nothing else.

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
I wish someone would create a plug-in that would read and interpret XML gauges, convert L:Vars to datarefs, and communicate with X-Plane. I've been trying to learn X-Plane development and it's all very foreign to me.

Heretic

Resource contributor
It truly is very foreign if you're used to the way MSFS does things. The worst aspect is that there is no centrally maintained and updated development documentation as for MSFS/P3D. You get a few breadcrumbs from the developers in blog posts about new things and changes, but that's it. The rest is lots of googling, headscatching, reverse engineering and trial&error.

Don't hold your breath for a MSFS XML interpreter. It will never happen.

On the flip side, P3D supports LUA scripting so once you complete the XP LUA you could then transfer it BACK to P3D as LUA: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/utilities/scripting/lua_scripting.html

Someone one the Helicopter Flight Simulator FB Group recently showed of his basic autopilot gauge that was rewritten in LUA for P3D from XML and once he'd done that he converted the script to XP and had it working in XP fairly quickly!

This has the advantage to make code easier to maintain between the platforms.

Heretic

Resource contributor
On the flip side, P3D supports LUA scripting so once you complete the XP LUA you could then transfer it BACK to P3D as LUA: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/utilities/scripting/lua_scripting.html
If LM doesn't break any simulation variables and XMLTools stays compatible, the original XML version should work just fine in P3D.

Someone one the Helicopter Flight Simulator FB Group recently showed of his basic autopilot gauge that was rewritten in LUA for P3D from XML and once he'd done that he converted the script to XP and had it working in XP fairly quickly!

This has the advantage to make code easier to maintain between the platforms.
Cross-platform compatibility is hampered by P3D's lack of an Imgui implementation, which provides the UI assets for the X-Plane/FlywithLUA release.

A simple script without a UI would probably indeed convert just fine after adaption to XP's dataref system.