• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Repainting Help

Country
us-northcarolina
I have spent probably over 40 hours now trying to create the Alaska/Horizon Honoring Those Who Serve repaint for the Feelthere e-jets ERJ-175 V2. There is NO paintkit out there for this aircraft so I put together one from the 3 fuselage parts that are in a texture for Air France and then painted out all the markings. It seemed to work perfectly and when I applied the textures to it I think they look right and are lined up. Then when I crop the three parts from the full assembly and create DDS files of them nothing lines up right at all. I feel like giving up but I am hoping that someone here with expert painting skills can figure out what I am doing wrong. It is in psd format for Adobe Photoshop. I am posting a screen shot of the full assembly and a link to the file with the psd in it. Thanks in advance for any help. I believe it is ok for me to provide JUST the mdl file that you can use with any available repaint from AVSIM or Flightsim to check it out in MDCx and you will see what I mean. It is extremely frustrating! I wrote to Feelthere this afternoon for the paint kit that they promised to provide purchasers years ago in their forum so let's see if they reply and what. They created one for the V1 AND have one downloadable on their sight for the V3 new version. The V3 is for P3D1-4 so its files are no good for the V2 and the V1 paintkit that I have is not compatible either. The parts are not the same though labeled the same like "170_Fus_1_T in either kit. At first I was so excited after hours of searching to find the V1 on AVSIM but its no match. THEN FS Brasil made "an unofficlal" paintkit but that did not work either. That's when I made my own.

Honoring Those Who Serve.jpg
Honoring Those Who Serve.jpghttps://www.mediafire.com/file/jn43knizid6ojpn/Full+Honoring+Paintkit.psd/file

Last edited:

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
As one who was unwillingly thrust into the world of texturing on a commercial project with no experience whatsoever, one thing I can tell you is that what lines up in the paint program does not necessarily line up in-sim. The textures are stretched in-sim to fit the surfaces and I found it was pure trial, error and patience to get everything to line up as required. So no, you're not doing anything wrong.

Country
us-northcarolina
As one who was unwillingly thrust into the world of texturing on a commercial project with no experience whatsoever, one thing I can tell you is that what lines up in the paint program does not necessarily line up in-sim. The textures are stretched in-sim to fit the surfaces and I found it was pure trial, error and patience to get everything to line up as required. So no, you're not doing anything wrong.
thank you for the encouragement

Country
unitedstates
There is also commonly overlap (extra space) on the textures to ease the repaint between model sections. This can result in offsets in the paint. You might find it useful to count the number of pax windows of the model (in MCX) and the number of windows on the texture.

Country
us-northcarolina
There is also commonly overlap (extra space) on the textures to ease the repaint between model sections. This can result in offsets in the paint. You might find it useful to count the number of pax windows of the model (in MCX) and the number of windows on the texture.
thank you that was pointed out to me by another talented developer and I did that to find out that was my problem. I am now using the FS Brasil's paintkit which seems to match so I am redoing the repaint using that and we will see where that goes. Ifly was really notorious for that and to repaint one of theirs was a nightmare back in the day I flew their B737.

Country
us-northcarolina
Taking Dragonflight Design's advice about the model and the textures, I have revisited this from scratch. Feelthere replied with the fact that they moved on to new projects before ever making a paintkit for their V2 version which I think is "kinda stinky". Like the salesman joke that he has no time to service his accounts, he's too busy out looking for new business". Anyway, I created my own paintkit from a nice white texture and painted out the few things on it. Then I copy/pasted each of the three fuselage sections into a new photoshop object transparent background matching them up but separate layers so they can be separated and cropped individeually which is working. Trial and error matching of the red lines after about a dozen tries in MDCx and they are about 98% perfect. Since I am not intending to post/share this that is good enough for me. Having to shut down because of Hurricane Ian coming through our coastal Carolina area and then losing power for almost 5 hours from this afternoon. I am just back on the computer in time to go to sleep. More later. As before, thank you to everyone above who took the time to try and help. I will post screen shots here of results if it continues to work with the blue.

Country
us-northcarolina
It is all done as good as it will get. I believe like Dragonflight Designs says the imperfection is in the model and its only for me so I am quite pleased with the outcome I learned how to create the flags on the winglets on the wings with the marquee something new. Here is a shot at the gate in Atlanta. That is my ai around it. NOW this topic is closed.

Honoring Those Who Serve.jpg