• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Replacing autogen tree models

Messages
172
I was wondering if it is actually possible in FS9 to replace the autogen tree models totally with new models.

I put new models into the Agen_XTrees_lib9_1.Bgl library for example, but the normal autogen tress still showed everywhere.

Are they hidden away inside the FS9 engine so we can't touch them?

I know you can change the texture, but the area given to each tree is so tiny the quality will always be restricted.

I am in an FS9 dead end?
 
Hi...

Funny - I've spent a lot of time working with the FS9 autogen issue lately... I believe all you can do is change the autogen texture - not the model... The models are not real stand alone models and just gen'd on the fly... The following post mentions the absolute best FS9 autogen texture I've ever come across... Highly recommend them... Once you swap out the texture it should change all of your autogen trees...

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showpost.php?p=1671593

What I did was use these same textures on my models so they match my surrounding autogen perfectly...

Regards,
Scott
 
Last edited:
Hello:

You may wish to review the threads linked from this Google Search result: :idea:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Agen_XTrees_lib9_1.Bgl&oq=Agen_XTrees_lib9_1.Bgl&gs_l=hp.12...1277.1277.0.2506.1.1.0.0.0.0.110.110.0j1.1.0.les;..0.0...1c.1.YXyKX--t6mY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.aWM&fp=51d7c4dfd48b8270&biw=1173&bih=754


IIUC, Agen_XTrees_lib9_1.Bgl library is an add-on library of scenery objects (like the Gerrish Grey "autogen" trees_v3.zip), which can be placed via XML into FS9 scenery like any other object, and it has mapped custom textures which must accompany those objects in the appropriate local paired folder in order for them to be visible.


There are however, some 3rd party replacement texture sets (payware and freeware) for the FS9 default autogen trees, which create the appearance of different tree sizes and groupings etc..

Replacing (rather than adding another supplemental library to) the actual "crossed-plane" or "X-Tree" 3D objects in the default FS9 libraries is technically possible to do, but IMHO a very advanced procedure to be undertaken only by "experts".

Yeah, I know... the MythBusters always say "We're what you call... Experts"; but admittedly they may not always look the part, so who knows what anyone can achieve ! :D


Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
I did replace the default x-plane tree models in the library rather than just add. Using the library I can place the new models, but autogen models already in the game remain as the original models.

I also tried disabling as many default *.bgl files as I could think/find. Most things disappear but the autogen remains.

They must be hard coded in somewhere, unfortunately.

I'll try those textures thanks.
 
Hello:

Probably the associated GUID of those objects in their respective scenery object libraries is the reason FS9 still found the default tree objects and loaded them (as it should when it read the corresponding object GUID instructions mapped into the autogen annotation *.agn files for the default scenery). ;)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Hi,

As far as I know the fs2004 autogen trees are not library objects at all. They are generated by the scenery engine on the fly, just like autogen buildings. So replacing them is not possible, only the texture can be changed.
 
Back
Top