• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Resample not working

Country
australia
Ok, I have searched multiple forums and YouTube trying to create a mesh for Bali. I have done everything that the YouTube tutorial has shown me. I have downloaded the DEM, used global mapper to combine the tiles into 1 .tif file. Created a .inf file. When I drag the .inf file onto the Resample tool, i get a quick flashing window and nothing happens. I have turned off my UAC and run Resample as an Administrator. No joy. Any Ideas?

I can't attach the files like I want. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Country
us-florida
There's probably a simple error that is causing Resample to stop executing. You can run Resample from a command prompt in which case the command prompt window will remain open and you can see what the error message is.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Jeff:

While I am an active advocate of making one's own terrain mesh BGLs for the MSFS / P3D simulators, and have posted substantial amounts of information here at FSDeveloper on how to make terrain mesh using ex: Global Mapper, on a practical basis, terrain mesh BGL files are already available in the P3D-compatible FreeMeshX packages (...freely downloadable via online Torrent files distribution): :idea:

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/bit-torrent-download-links/

FYI: FreeMeshX uses the latest "cleaned" SRTM 1-Arc Second (~30 Meters) source data compiled via SDK Resample to LOD-10 (~38.2 Meters between elevation data points on the ground). :pushpin:

I am unaware of any 3rd party elevation source data currently available at a higher resolution for Bali, so IMHO there is no potential benefit in allocating one's time to learning the considerable amount of work-flow required to produce "proper" add-on terrain mesh BGL(s) ....that are otherwise already accessible for download and use for the Geographic area in question.

If you are interested in learning how to download only the local sub-section (rather than a huge region pack) for the Bali island area via the Torrent distribution option offered by the developers of FreeMeshX, feel free to inquire further here. :)

PS: After download of the selected files from the FreeMeshX Torrent are completed, the BGL file you are looking for is:

[FreeMeshX Global 2.0 install path]\FreeMeshX - Australia and Oceania\scenery\S10E110.bgl (~150 MB in size) ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hi Jeff:

While I am an active advocate of making one's own terrain mesh BGLs for the MSFS / P3D simulators, and have posted substantial amounts of information here at FSDeveloper on how to make terrain mesh using ex: Global Mapper, on a practical basis, terrain mesh BGL files are already available in the P3D-compatible FreeMeshX packages available for free download via online Torrent files distribution: :idea:

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/bit-torrent-download-links/

FYI: FreeMeshX uses the latest "cleaned" SRTM 1-Arc Second (~30 Meters) source data compiled via SDK Resample to LOD-10 (~38.2 Meters between elevation data points on the ground). :pushpin:

I am unaware of any 3rd party elevation source data currently available at a higher resolution for Bali, so IMHO there is no potential benefit in allocating one's time to learning the considerable amount of work-flow required to produce "proper" add-on terrain mesh BGL(s) ....that are otherwise already accessible for download and use for the area in question.

If you are interested in learning how to download only the local sub-section (rather than a huge region pack) for the Bali island area via the Torrent distribution option offered by the developers of FreeMeshX, feel free to inquire further here. :)

PS: After download of the selected files from the FreeMeshX Torrent are completed, the BGL file you are looking for is:

[FreeMeshX Global 2.0 install path]\FreeMeshX - Australia and Oceania\scenery\S10E110.bgl (~150 MB in size) ;)

GaryGB

Thanks GaryGB. I actually have downloaded the mesh. It was more of a trying something new opportunity. I watched a tutorial by RotorNut44 on YouTube and thought, that would be good to learn. Trying to keep the brain stimulated.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Jeff:

I suggest that you consider a project in an area where higher resolution elevation data than that of the SRTM 1-Arc Second (~30 Meter) source data is available.

Be aware that there is a considerable amount of knowledge required to work with source data, GIS information, the SDK, the FS terrain grid system, and the FS rendering engine, in order to successfully make "proper" terrain mesh BGLs that cover either a larger area (such as Bali), or even a smaller area, and which can also successfully be displayed at run time when starting flights both within- and outside of- the Geographic coverage extent of such BGLs.

Please do not be offended if I offer the admonition to regard this as an advanced task, and that the process of learning how to do this "properly", IMHO, would require you to do a lot of reading, self-study, as well as trial-and-error testing.

If you are at this time still uncertain as to how one uses "Command Mode" in Windows with SDK utilities which only operate in that mode (thus are not GUI-based), and if at this time you are still uncertain as to how one attaches a file to a post in a forum, I believe it would require a substantial amount of time expenditure by persons with the appropriate level of knowledge to tutor you on how to do all that is required via interactive posting in these forums.

I can, however, reassure you that if you start doing some web searches on the FS Developer forums (feel free to include my forum avatar name as a part of your Google query strings ;) ), you will find that answers to most- if not all- of your questions ...are already online here.

I believe that further efforts on your own part may enhance your rate of progress towards a successful project result, while reducing dependency on learning through the "social networking" method in forums, where most of us with in-depth knowledge on certain tasks are already rather limited on available free time for participation in interactive tutorials. :)

GaryGB

Last edited: