• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Ridiculous minimum resolution error

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Quite often I get the following error message when launching FSX:

res_issue.jpg

("Microsoft Flight Simulator requires a minumum resolution of 1024 x 720. Do you want to change the resolution now?")

Actually my screen resolution is 1920x1200. so I don't get the point. First I blamed it on my messed up system which I meanwhile reinstalled (also for different reasons) but I still randomly get that error so I have to retry until it stops.

Did anybody else encounter this issue? Is there a way to fix it?

My system is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 in case that helps.

Country
us-california
Never seen that issue. What I would try is quit FSX, rename FSX.cfg and start FSX again so it builds a new FSX.cfg, then merge my tweaks back into the new FSX.cfg.

Is this a laptop? Sometimes there's confusion between the integrated graphics and GPU, which can lead to duplicate DISPLAY.Device entries.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Is this a laptop? Sometimes there's confusion between the integrated graphics and GPU, which can lead to duplicate DISPLAY.Device entries.
It's not a laptop but I used to have a second screen which I didn't have space for after moving to a new appartment. Might that be the cause?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Could be a failed switch from the CPU-internal GPU (assuming you have one) to the video card.

Country
us-california
It's not a laptop but I used to have a second screen which I didn't have space for after moving to a new appartment. Might that be the cause?

That sounds like a possibility. Try pressing Win+P and click Computer Only, or right-click on the desktop background and choose "Screen Resolution" and see if it shows multiple displays in use.

Country
brazil
I have this error too. I don't know why and never bothered to search a way of eliminating this. What I notice is that this happens just when I launch FSX and move the mouse to do another thing while the Windows is changing from the Aero to the Classic theme.

So, when I start FSX I just wait for the classic theme to come and then I go do what I want. This takes just one second BTW.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
The message is caused because FSX is unable to start in the window from which it had been previously run in. To clear it, you have to start the simulator with that monitor connected, return FSX to the main window and close it. It may be possible to find the monitor description in the fsx.cfg - easiest to clear them all - and then let the simulator add the valid one(s).

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I have this error too. I don't know why and never bothered to search a way of eliminating this. What I notice is that this happens just when I launch FSX and move the mouse to do another thing while the Windows is changing from the Aero to the Classic theme.

So, when I start FSX I just wait for the classic theme to come and then I go do what I want. This takes just one second BTW.

I just tested this and it seems right. It's all about not moving the mouse until the theme changes. Truly ridiculous.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Update:
Lately almost everytime (also without moving the mouse in the critical second) the error appeared so I often had to do 10+ attempts to get FSX running.
This weekend I decided to reconnect the secondary screen and the error now shows again only if I move the mouse.
Next is trying to redo FSX.cfg

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
well, I tried by deleting FSX.cfg and let FSX generate a new one.
That sadly didn't help :(

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I sometimes get this problem in combination with the UAC.
Specifically when a program other than FSX is asking for admin control while FSX is starting this error message will pop up. I think in my case it has something to do with the UAC dialog messing up the screen resolution by turning everything but the UAC dialog dark.