Routing a river

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, redirect me if necessary.

I'm trying to route a river through small section of land near my hometown airport that fits the FSX terrain, ie. not the true terrain. An aerial image
clearly shows the actual river course which is different than the FSX terrain and has the river flowing uphill in some places. Nevermind realism
I just want a river that fits the given terrain at this point.

Is there a way to find the low points?

When I had to find water levels to fix some water bodies I literally took a Cessna and landed at those points, noting the altitude and then -3 feet (1 meter) to compensate for measurement from the center of the aircraft if it was even that critical. And I would just go around until I covered the area I needed. I then used SBuilder to create the water body.

When I had to find water levels to fix some water bodies I literally took a Cessna and landed at those points, noting the altitude and then -3 feet (1 meter) to compensate for measurement from the center of the aircraft if it was even that critical. And I would just go around until I covered the area I needed. I then used SBuilder to create the water body.
Thank you. I'm doing the pretty much the same thing. It's slower...I was hoping there was an easier way. I'm using an aerial image
that shows the river but it doesn't match with the FS terrain and I have a river on top of a hill. Not after precision just realistic scenery. .

What I did was take a simplistic aerial image and placed it inside SBuilder. Then with both SBuilder and the flightsim running I would slew the aircraft around (in my case it was a lake and not a river), and would note the altitude every so often. Granted, with a river your will have lots of different levels but the fact you are following the terrain I would think it should work pretty good... yes a bit slow. Hope you are not tracing the Mississippi! o_O