P3D v4 SbuilderX 315 Problem

My sbuilderX315 stopped working after I installed Orbx global open landclass and global base pack. SbuilderX compiles the files (landclass and vector polygon) and I move the bgl files to P3D add on scenery/scenery. But nothing shows up in P3D4.5. Everything was fine before I installed the Orbx scenery. What is going on here?

I wonder if the 'layer' of your scenery is underneath the order that ORBX is in?

Example, when you turn on (go to) scenery in your simulator, you see a list of activated scenery, oldest at the top. New scenery will stack onto the top of that list. If yours is 'under' it, that it can be hidden if in the same area. I think you can change the placement of our scenery so that its on top of that layer/number in your simulator. Check that and see if it helps.

old Bill

I wonder if the 'layer' of your scenery is underneath the order that ORBX is in?

Example, when you turn on (go to) scenery in your simulator, you see a list of activated scenery, oldest at the top. New scenery will stack onto the top of that list. If yours is 'under' it, that it can be hidden if in the same area. I think you can change the placement of our scenery so that its on top of that layer/number in your simulator. Check that and see if it helps.

old Bill
Thanks Bill - I will check the position of my sbuilder scenery

My sbuilderX315 stopped working after I installed Orbx global open landclass and global base pack. SbuilderX compiles the files (landclass and vector polygon) and I move the bgl files to P3D add on scenery/scenery. But nothing shows up in P3D4.5. Everything was fine before I installed the Orbx scenery. What is going on here?
Hi Larry:

The FS / P3D Scenery Library GUI Area layer display priority system shows default scenery at higher (larger) numbers ..lower in the stack.

This actually means that layers lower in the stack have a lower display priority than a layer that has a lower (smaller) priority number.

So when we place a custom add-on scenery at a priority of ex: (1), it has a high (top) display priority, and 'should' show on top of ex: OrbX.

There are exceptions to this rule due to Geographic extent of coverage and/or resolution of terrain textures / mesh / vector data

However, display priority generally means the higher it is in the Scenery Library GUI Area stack of layers, the more likely it is to display.

You might wish to try what I suggested to Buck with your own custom scenery made via SBuilderX: :idea:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-a-object-in-orbix-scenery.445302/post-821760

Hi Buck:

You may have more than (1) issue affecting the ability of FSX to display your 3D scenery library object. :scratchch

FYI: Instant Scenery version 3 (aka "IS3") will by default compile a scenery library object placement BGL into:

[FSX install path]\Addon Scenery\Scenery sub-folder.

After exiting FSX, the next time you load FSX, IS3 will NOT display your scenery library object placement BGL.

IS3 will instead first require that you "Open" that BGL before it will then display your scenery library object.

This enforced 'control' over your scenery library object placement BGL will continue until you are finished adding to / deleting from / or otherwise editing that BGL via IS3. :pushpin:

To remove IS3 enforced 'control' over your scenery library object placement BGL: :stirthepo

After exiting FSX, manually create a new top-folder in ex:

[FSX install path]\Addon Scenery\ sub-folder.

Give that top-folder a name ex: 'Buck_Objects'

That 'Buck_Objects' top folder requires a sub-folder named 'Scenery' inside it

Move your library object placement BGL into that \Scenery sub-folder.

In the FSX Scenery Library GUI, Add a new Area layer for that new top-folder with its \Scenery sub-folder; click OK.

Be certain to position that new Area layer at the top of the FSX Scenery Library stack of layers.

Next, in OrbX "FTX Central", create an 'Insertion Point' to keep any and all OrbX scenery Area layers at least (1) layer below the top position (occupied by ex: Buck_Objects') ...in the FSX Scenery Library GUI stack of layers.

This will ensure that there will always be a place at the top of the Scenery Library stack of layers, in which one can locate custom add-on scenery ...above any and all OrbX scenery layers.

NOTE: If you do not create an 'Insertion Point' in OrbX "FTX Central", each time you run "FTX Central", it would reposition all OrbX Area layers at the top of the FSX Scenery Library GUI, which may potentially affect the ability for some- or perhaps all- non-OrbX custom add-on scenery to be displayed above OrbX scenery layers. :alert:

When the above steps are finished, re-start FSX and see if your scenery library object appears.

Let me know how this works for you. :)

GaryGB

Hi Larry:

If you ZIP the BGL files and attach them here, we would be better able to discern what is required to allow their display on top of OrbX FTX.

GaryGB

=rk=

Resource contributor
ORBX made a controversial move, by redefining land class placement. FTXG openLC as the name suggests, replaces the default landclass layer with higher detailed and a better variety of land types. The reason this is controversial, is that it excludes other developers and software, or it forces them to work within the new ORBX definitions.

I don't know if there is a way to incorporate the "better variety" of LC into your SBX build, or even if one can agree that it is better, since you clearly need to change something, but you can go ahead and stop analyzing your scenery layer priority.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-315-problem.445337/post-821943

Hi Larry:

The FS / P3D Scenery Library GUI Area layer display priority system shows default scenery at higher (larger) numbers ..lower in the stack.

This actually means that layers lower in the stack have a lower display priority than a layer that has a lower (smaller) priority number.

So when we place a custom add-on scenery at a priority of ex: (1), it has a high (top) display priority, and 'should' show on top of ex: OrbX.

There are exceptions to this rule due to Geographic extent of coverage and/or resolution of terrain textures / mesh / vector data

However, display priority generally means the higher it is in the Scenery Library GUI Area stack of layers, the more likely it is to display.

You might wish to try what I suggested to Buck with your own custom scenery made via SBuilderX: :idea:

GaryGB
Hi again, Larry:

If- and when- you are ready / willing / able to do all the learning and work that would likely be required, I'm confident we can help you achieve display of custom scenery created with SBuilderX on top of OrbX FTX Global Base / Land Class packages installed in P3Dv4.

It is important, however, for you to be aware that in your case, considering that OrbX scenery is installed, developing custom FS scenery may require special procedures to work around any higher display priority imposed by OrbX FTX scenery via the above cited:

* Geographic extent of coverage and/or resolution of terrain textures / mesh / vector data

...as well as via:

* Methods that impose higher (or lower !) display priority via alpha-numeric file naming

* Edits to Terrain.Cfg (including changes to "RenderPriority' parameter values for various scenery content types)

* Substitution of custom internal content for default files while retaining original default file name

But first, we need to know what you are trying to do, and where- in a context of inter-related FS / P3D scenery files- you are trying to do it.

So, as stated above, you would need to attach- or link to- a ZIP file containing the scenery BGLs you created using SBuilderX. :pushpin:

PS: Similar special procedures 'may' also be required if add-on scenery packages by other developers are installed, not just OrbX FTX. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi again, Larry:

If- and when- you are ready / willing / able to do all the learning and work that would likely be required, I'm confident we can help you achieve display of custom scenery created with SBuilderX on top of OrbX FTX Global Base / Land Class packages installed in P3Dv4.

It is important, however, for you to be aware that in your case, considering that OrbX scenery is installed, developing custom FS scenery may require special procedures to work around any higher display priority imposed by OrbX FTX scenery via the above cited:

* Geographic extent of coverage and/or resolution of terrain textures / mesh / vector data

...as well as via:

* Methods that impose higher (or lower !) display priority via alpha-numeric file naming

* Edits to Terrain.Cfg (including changes to "RenderPriority' parameter values for various scenery content types)

* Substitution of custom internal content for default files while retaining original default file name

But first, we need to know what you are trying to do, and where- in a context of inter-related FS / P3D scenery files- you are trying to do it.

So, as stated above, you would need to attach- or link to- a ZIP file containing the scenery BGLs you created using SBuilderX. :pushpin:

PS: Similar special procedures 'may' also be required if add-on scenery packages by other developers are installed, not just OrbX FTX. ;)

GaryGB

OK fellows, now I understand what has happened here. What I wanted to do was make a few corrections in the Southern Illinois land class scenery, fix some small airport aprons and buildings and add some aircraft objects. I have decided to accept the Orbx landclass as is and search for an easy way to do the rest. I used SbuilderX and "Easy Scenery" in FSX and wish I could do the same in P3Dv4.5. Many thanks for your explanation of what the Orbx scenery is and why simple design techniques will not work. BTW I am an old codger (84) and I have had every version of Microsofts Flight simulators they made starting with Bruce Artwicks original. (Did you know that BGL stands for Bruce's graphic language). Again thanks for you help - happy flying !!!

Hi Larry:

You 'should' be able to "fix some small airport aprons and buildings and add some aircraft objects" using "SBuilderX and "EZ-Scenery" in FSX" ...and have it display in a P3Dv4.5 OrbX Global Base / LC installation environment ...without all the complexity I alluded to above. ;)

If you have an example airport you'd like to modify, please post more info and attach- or link to- the ADE *.AD4 file and SBuilderX *.SBX exported data exchange file for that project location, I'm confident you could easily achieve some of your scenery enhancement goals. :)

GaryGB

Hi Gary:

I installed Scruffy Duck's ADE v1.75 and when loading a stock airport I get a "system null reference exception" error message. The program freezes and the only way out is via task manager. Is this happening because Orbx Global Base Pack has replaced the stock airports ? I sure am having a lot of trouble finding some way to fix a few airport aprons. I am using Sim Director to install objects, exporting the BGL file to p3d. That is working well but I can't see any way to add aprons.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-315-problem.445337/post-822147

Hi Gary:

I installed Scruffy Duck's ADE v1.75 and when loading a stock airport I get a "system null reference exception" error message.

The program freezes and the only way out is via task manager.

Is this happening because Orbx Global Base Pack has replaced the stock airports ?

I sure am having a lot of trouble finding some way to fix a few airport aprons.

I am using Sim Director to install objects, exporting the BGL file to p3d. That is working well but I can't see any way to add aprons.
Hi Larry:

I don't think any OrbX FTX global scenery would affect the ability of ADE to load / modify scenery around a stock airport ICAO.

IIUC, OrbX FTX may cause a non-default land class texture use if a "MaskClassMap" attribute is used with a Airport Boundary Polygon.

Try installing the ADE 1.76.x update:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-version-1-76-6715.442862/

Also, be sure to install the model footprint database for ADE 1.70 and later:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/expvjbbzcieryyq/MFDB.zip

Additionally, the last ADE version 1.65 PDF file manual is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8rp6jr7en9xwdls

...on this scruffyduck website:

http://www.scruffyduck.org/downloads/4584110854

If the above update does not resolve the issue, post the details of this same issue directly in the ADE support forum:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/airport-design-editor.95/

PS: Be sure you also have the latest .NET version 4.x update installed for your version of Windows ;)

GaryGB

[Posted From Chicagoland] :cool:

Last edited: