• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Scenery Design 2004

Country
australia
I suppose it is a little early to find 2004 scenery and design issues + tutorials for 2004.i bought FS Architect and found the tutorials whilst knowledgeble jumped from one angle to another,the theme in mostly all tutorials is for the confirming learning and not for the learning learning so to speak. If i as an absolute novice and i mean kindergarten stuff or LCD[Lowest common Denominator]try to make head or tail of the differing files concept or even what they stand for let alone charge on into the business of XML,BGL,MDL so on and so on,its offputting,the turn around in Q & A is akin to travelling 100km then go back because some little minute aspect was assumed that you knew. My view is this,whilst understanding that every one on the forums are experianced practioners of this Art with a few of us Newbies,surely we should be able to be taken by the hand and set a series of exercises that encompass firstly the basics ie need for certain files such as MDL XML,BGL[One day hopefully this will all intergrate] in all a beginning a middle and a end simple concepts. Regards Patrick. :twocents:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Patrick,

Good suggestions. But I am afraid it will take some time before this can be realised.

First most scenery designers don't have much time to write long articles and tutorials. We want to design scenery in the first place of course.

The second problem is that most tools dealing with the Fs2004 techniques, like SceneGenX, are still under development and certainly not finished yet. This makes it hard to write good documentation for them, as the next version might be different again.

So, at the moment looking around at forums like this and asking things you would like to know are probably the best ways to gather information. But for the future I certianly hope some of this knowledge can be combined into articles or tutorials.

Patrick, one other aspect makes your desire difficult to sate, that is, when the next version comes out, we'll all be busy learning what is new, what still works...etc.

your idea fits a scenerio in which the material to learn is left stable for some time. We teach algebra with confidence, it hasn't changed dramatically for hundreds of years. Not so with scenery design. And it changes so fast, its never stable. Over the last few (4) years the changes have been so dramatic that the basic state of knowledge only becomes well understood 6 months before it changes again.

Imagine someone spending those 6 months creating a curriculum to teach in the fashion you state, only to have that work made valueless when the next sim version is released.

Bob