• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Scratching my head over SU6 short-grass-only update!

Country
thailand
Yes, SU6 did revert grass height back to being shorter, but, overall, did it fix the problem? While the previous tall grass obviously didn't work for lawns, it looked fantastic for less manicured areas as shown here...
JiT VTUV 2021.10.02 - 12.05.00.87.jpg

I spent a couple of weeks massaging this large grassy area, up to the pink control tower (Yeah, Thais love pink!), to get the tall grass to blend in realistically with the default Bing map imagery. This not only included color and opacity tweaking, but I even played with the grass tile sizes to make the grass look neater and more filled in, in areas adjacent to the terminal building. This area is actually composed of several different blended grass aprons. Sadly, it now looks worse with SU6 shorter grass.

So, yes, I'm scratching my head (post-SU6) as to why Asobo still didn't simply give us the option to select the grass height that we need for specific areas, or to simply include a variety of grass models, not just different color variations. Another no-brainer option would be to simply add a working 'Un-Snap To Ground' option so we can set exact grass elevation heights, i.e., tweaking the visible grass portion. It would also be fantastic if applying MSFS 'fake terrain' material option actually worked. I had to resort to 2D grass textures for the two darker grass strips in front of the terminal. Applying 'fake terrain' to my custom modeled meshes did not apply the grass to the curved mesh when I added grass aprons to outline them.

Another puzzling issue is we can select grass to grow on top of runways, but we can't place grass polygons/aprons over misaligned low-precision AI OpenStreetMap roads/parking lot lanes (especially parking lot lanes). As shown here the 3D grass reverts back to a flat 2D texture...
JiT Desktop Screenshot 2021.09.18 - 22.43.22.94.jpg

This also illustrates why we must use airport-aprons (higher precision) and not (low resolution) polygons. WYSIWYG The neat, accurate polygon outlines you carefully drew in Developer mode are definitely NOT what you see in the sim as this normal-mode mess reveals!

So I'm guessing the Asobo team responsible for grass is the same 'Short Bus' crew who also saddled us with the unbelievably frustrating half-baked still-screwed-up terraform 'feature'. Too bad it's not from Asobo's A-Team who created this amazing incredible next-gen sim! Oh well. :(
/end rant