• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

[Released] Shump & Chunilna Creek - Alaska Backcountry Airstrips (FSX/P3D)

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
This scenery is a Work in Progress.

Shump is a private backcountry airstrip that I have been working on for the better part of this year. The scenery will feature a decent size photoreal coverage area (I have yet to calculate the full extent) containing two airstrips: Shump (AA00) and another nearby airstrip that is unlisted. [I have yet to find any public information on this second airstrip, so if anyone knows any locals, drop me a PM!] Both airstrips feature hand-placed, dense, native trees, vegetation and shrubbery. SODE is also being utilized to allow for environmentally-dynamic features, such as: Windsocks, Rain Puddles and Ambient Sounds.

A lot of R&D has gone into this scenery. It's still a ways out from release, but I'm hoping to have it out before Q2 of 2020. (Which, is a very generous estimation as I'm shooting to have it out way sooner than that.) :)

Edit: Release date is TBD. MSFS as well as other things have slowed down progress. Hell or high water, this scenery will be done this year (2021).

Attachments

• Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_01.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_01.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 774
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_02.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_02.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 778
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_03.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_03.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 694
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_04.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_04.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 661
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_05.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_05.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 666
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_06.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_06.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 661
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_07.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_07.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 741
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_08.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_08.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 621
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_09.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_09.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 585
  • Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_12.jpg
    Shump_Alaska_Airstrips_12.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 611
Last edited:

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
I took a few weeks off since I ended up working myself into a burnout. However, I got a chance to sit down this afternoon and begin working on winter textures for the scenery objects. I started with the rocks as a test since I have never made winter textures beyond that of simple vegetation. This is the second revision since I wasn't entirely pleased with the first. For only my second attempt, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

There's a little cleanup work to do around a few seams, but other than that, I think this rendition will be final. :)

Winter (Left) / Summer (Right) | Ignore the out-of-season vegetation. It's not been done yet. :cool:
rock_winter-summer_split.jpg

Last edited:

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
It looks great!. Very detailed strips.

Thanks! This is definitely going to be my most detailed project to date. For what I would like to do with it, it's still pretty basic. :)

Here are a few photos from the last two days.
All of the vegetation winter textures are now complete. I experimented with creating a snowy rendition of my previously completed shed model. I may be a little bias, but I think it looks fantastic. :D (Maybe some revisioning to the snow splatter along the bottom?) I also fixed the campfire model I had been struggling with for the last month.. It's lower poly and better looking than the model I used previously. :eek: I'm planning to eventually add some dynamic lighting to it. The icing on the cake, you might say.

Lots to do still.. In the words of Mike Patey: "Back to work!"

Attachments

• smp_sno1.jpg
    smp_sno1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 474
  • smp_sno2.jpg
    smp_sno2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 484
  • smp_sno3.jpg
    smp_sno3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 486
  • smp_sno4.jpg
    smp_sno4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 488
  • smp_sno5.jpg
    smp_sno5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 486
  • smp_sno6.jpg
    smp_sno6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 495
  • smp_sno7.jpg
    smp_sno7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 482
  • smp_sno8.jpg
    smp_sno8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 458
Last edited:

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Some shots from yesterday. "Testing" some of the lakes in the scenery.

Beside the two airstrips, the scenery will also include docks on five lakes for floatplane operations. Some lakes are more challenging than others. So far I have been testing in the Fairchild 24W and Beaver, however I have yet to try all of the locations. It's worth noting that there are several more (Potentially landable, yet not tested) lakes in the scenery, the five mentioned above are the only ones I have found to have docks. I am also considering putting in a fictional helipad or two for my fellow rotor nuts.

Attachments

• shump_floatplane_1.jpg
    shump_floatplane_1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 434
  • shump_floatplane_2.jpg
    shump_floatplane_2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 462
  • shump_floatplane_3.jpg
    shump_floatplane_3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 424
Last edited:

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Will it be for FSX too? I can test on FSX if you need :)

It will be for FSX (SE Included), P3Dv2.5, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, and P3Dv5.

I still include v2.5, because that's the format I use for v3, so it doesn't cost me anything other than some extra scripting to include.

I'll have some more information on Alpha/Beta testing when I get closer to that point. For now, I'll make a note for you, but only a few are going to get in each cycle. I may do the Alpha in-house as that's where the bigger bugs will be. Then the Beta users can be the fine-tooth comb. :)

Edit: Updated to include P3Dv5 in the list of supported platforms.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Will be keeping a keen eye on this one @christopherbritton Your work looks incredible and detailed bush strips will go down a treat amongst the community!

Just having a look through your website also, quite the talent! Best of luck for the rest of this project :)

Big yes to gravel bars as potential runways @Marc L

Andrew

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Will be keeping a keen eye on this one @christopherbritton Your work looks incredible and detailed bush strips will go down a treat amongst the community!

Just having a look through your website also, quite the talent! Best of luck for the rest of this project :)

Big yes to gravel bars as potential runways @Marc L

Andrew

Thanks for the encouragement.

I must admit, I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment with this project. While most are at home right now, I'm fortunate enough to still be working. However my job eats up pretty much all the time I have in a day, so it's all I can do to put in a hour here and there. I'm dedicated to getting this project finished, but I find the deadlines I set for myself slipping each week. Fortunately, I'm going to start having more than one day off soon, so I should be able to start getting a solid day or so of development in again each week.

Oh, how I miss all that spare time I had over the winter. :)

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Hi all,
Looks like it's time for a small update. Unfortunately, with work, progress has been quite slow. I've spent most of my spare time in the last few months working on getting other sceneries ready for P3Dv5, as well as a new mesh release in my Alaskan Mesh series. However, I have been taking a break from all that these last few weeks to focus on getting more models done for this scenery. Modeling is pretty much the only thing slowing me down on this project right now.

I used to only work in Sketchup, but have recently found myself utilizing both Sketchup and Blender, which I have a serious love-hate relationship with. I work a lot faster in Sketchup when it comes to making low-poly building models, but although it's a pain in my rear, Blender is great for tweaking UV Mappings and generating Ambient Occlusion, which I used to do by hand in PhotoShop. o_O It's just getting through that transition point (from one program to the other) that's the bottleneck. Luckily, Blender is very intuitive. And I totally don't have to revert to a previous save or anything multiple times.. (The last two sentences are clearly sarcasm, you know, in case you didn't know that) :rolleyes:

Anyways.. Here's all the progress I have made in two weeks. Averaging one model a week at the moment. Still.. idk, a half dozen to do. I could probably find more hidden away in the bush if I keep looking, but I think I'm just going to focus on the important ones for the time being. Will save that ambition for another week.

Attachments

• Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.06.23 - 22.08.42.69.jpg
    Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.06.23 - 22.08.42.69.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 378
  • Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.06.23 - 22.05.00.07.jpg
    Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.06.23 - 22.05.00.07.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 364
  • Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.06.23 - 22.11.43.65.jpg
    Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.06.23 - 22.11.43.65.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 321
  • Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.06.23 - 22.13.28.47.jpg
    Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.06.23 - 22.13.28.47.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 389
Country
australia
Looking so good @christopherbritton! The speed isn't an issue, the main thing is that you achieve it in your own time and don't end up hating it! I can only imagine the pain of changing programs...

Screenshots are really looking great, you are certainly capturing that wild feel of the strip. It is all looking great!

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Thanks guys. This has definitely been one of the more fun sceneries to work on. The larger coverage area is definitely adding to the work, but in the end I think it will be worth it. It wouldn't be a bush scenery if there weren't plenty of off airport locations to land. Took the afternoon yesterday to do a refresher flight with the Milviz Porter. Threw together a quick video of what a departure and landing into the Shump airstrip looks like. Will make one for the river airstrip eventually, but want to get a little more work done on it, as well as removing some building and aircraft footprints from the PR first. Until then, back to work! :)

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Got another more simple model done. This one only took a single day to model, map and texture. I did use this morning to make some refinements and get it placed though. I also worked on the river coverage area's underlying vector, as it needed to be matched up to ORBX Vector for a more seamless transition from the scenery coverage area. I will later go back and do this for stock vector data as well, so I can add a control panel option for compatibility.

I'm hoping to get started on the next model after the holiday weekend is over. Only two more to do for the river airstrip, then I can start working on lake cabins and ect. :cool:

Attachments

• Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 13.36.36.59.jpg
    Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 13.36.36.59.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 332
  • Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 13.37.50.88.jpg
    Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 13.37.50.88.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 305
  • Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 13.39.32.09.jpg
    Prepar3D Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 13.39.32.09.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 325