• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SimObject Display Engine [released]

Country
switzerland
I have been testing this for wind rotation, once the object is placed through simconnect it is perfectly possible to make an animation that rotates it with the wind. The placement module doesn't have to do that, all it needs to do is place the object.

Did the same thing as well. The problem I encountered was the animated (counter clockwise) transition from 1° to 359°. The object would then turn clockwise all the way around instead of turning a tad to the left. After all, it is just a direct mapping of keyframe to angle. Of course if you don't want to animate the turning itself, it is possible.

Country
newzealand
Hi Jeffrey,

Any progress on this tool? I've been thinking about doing this this for a docking system when I came across this topic searching for ideas.

Cheers,

Nick

Country
switzerland
Sorry for being quiet the last few months, real life kept me super busy! The only thing I did, was to write a user guide/documentation for SODE.
I decided to release the current state of the module, which already features a lot of functionality for conditional display and also animation. I don't want to keep it from you until I realized the docking system functionality, but to add that feature in an update sometime.
Furthermore, I decided to release it as "Donationware".

I will bundle up all the necessary files and will set up a quick litte website where you can download the preview version. I hope to have everything ready by the end of the month.

Country
germany
Yes.
Your installer has to do all the necessary editing/file handling though.
Hi Jeffrey,
just an idea. Wouldn´t it be helpful for the process to have an xml-parameter file in each scenery-folder? If the tool would schedule the scenery.cfg and "collect" all files there, it wouldn´t be necessary to have one centralized file. This method would be more fault-tolerant because errors only effect one scenery.
I am really looking forward to test your tool, already prepared some windsocks as SimObjects which I want to test with it. When finished I will also publish them for the community as we did with the old ones for FS2004/FSX.
So if you are interested you can also use them.
Jörg

Country
switzerland
Wouldn´t it be helpful for the process to have an xml-parameter file in each scenery-folder? If the tool would schedule the scenery.cfg and "collect" all files there, it wouldn´t be necessary to have one centralized file. This method would be more fault-tolerant because errors only effect one scenery.
Hi Jörg,

What I mean by "file handling" is that you as developer have to provide a means to initially install the module, i.e. edit the exe.xml and create a folder for the exe and the xml files themselves. If the module is already installed at the user's machine, then your installer just has to add your xml files. All scenery specific xml control files are collected in a subfolder "xml": There is no one big file, but one xml per scenery (or multiple if you want to split it up...). The tool handles all those xmls in the subfolder and does the magic thereafter...

I think what you suggest is already implemented :)

-Jeff

Country
germany
Hi Jeff
Thanks for your answer, you are completely right, that was what I meant.
Jörg

Gesendet von meinem GT-P7501 mit Tapatalk

Country
switzerland
Released a first version for the very brave :)
http://sode.12bpilot.ch

Note: This was also the first time I created an installer, so I recommend you backup your exe.xml file before running the installer :p
Do not forget to select all subfeatures in the installer menu in order to see the samples. It is located in Grenchen LSZG. Read the documentation for further information. After Installation, you should be able to fire up FSX, go to LSZG and see the samples. Key stroke for the in-game menu is "SHIFT + -" (shift and dash)

I hope it works on your machines.

-Jeff

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, that's great news. I'll give it a try soon.

Country
germany
That's great news for the complete community, thanks Jeff for the development.
I will test it with my windsock and will report.
Jörg

Gesendet von meinem GT-P7501 mit Tapatalk

Country
germany
Hi Jeff, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and compiling this package for us! I'll start testing and playing with it asap :)

Volker

Country
unitedstates
Released a first version for the very brave :)
http://sode.12bpilot.ch

Installed into FSXA and got a missing DLL file "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll". Found through a Google and added into the SODE directory. Restarted FSX and got a missing DLL file "libstdc++-6.dll". Found through Google and added into the SODE directory. Started FSX and got SODE to start through the EXE.XML file only to crash in it's box, saying a problem with "libstdc++-6.dll". Probably a version issue with your Visual Studio and my download???

Read the manual and look forward to seeing the program in use.

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Jeff says in the documentation that it's compiled using GCC, not Visual C++. Jeff should be able to recompile SODE to statically link with the GCC libraries, to prevent the need for the DLLs to be present on the user's computer.

Country
switzerland
Installed into FSXA and got a missing DLL file "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll". Found through a Google and added into the SODE directory. Restarted FSX and got a missing DLL file "libstdc++-6.dll". Found through Google and added into the SODE directory. Started FSX and got SODE to start through the EXE.XML file only to crash in it's box, saying a problem with "libstdc++-6.dll". Probably a version issue with your Visual Studio and my download???

Thanks for reporting. Yeah, I didn't think of the need of those standard libraries on the user machine. I statically linked them now and uploaded a new Installer on the site. Please uninstall the broken version and install the new one.

I will be off to China for the next 4 days, so support will be limited, but I hope that the module at least starts up along FSX now (visible in the task manager).

-Jeff

Jeff - this is absolutely brilliant! Tested it out with weather related models showing up using multiple conditions - puddles showing only spring-summer-fall and only when it's raining. Works like a charm. I've dreamt of something like this every since FSX was released. Thanks so much for your hard work! Now I've got some snow banks to build.
Ian

Country
germany
Hi Jeff,
I have one minor problem at the moment. When starting FSX the tool is loaded (exe.xml) is checked and the process can be seen in the Task Manager. The objects however does not show.
After killing the process and starting SODE again, all works fine. What´s going wrong. Don´t hurry, its still experimental phase ;)
But the result is perfect as you can see with my current windsock objects. The left windsock is the old one which is FS2004 code, that is only visible in FSX but not P3D. So I can compare the result :)
Jörg

Last edited:
I've got the same problem as Jörg, the process runs, and I can bring up the shift- window, but there are no objects until I manually restart the process. Apart from that, very nice job, it's great to be able to return my windsocks to P3D.