Sketchup 8 Tool Bars

In Sketchup 8, why is it that there is no back button? There have been times when I would accidently delete something and there's no way to undo that. The few times this happened to me really got me angry and had to start all over again, especially if I accidently delete a project that was grouped. In later versions of Sketchup, there is an Undo button that allows one to back up. Why do they find it necessary to have no back button, or a button that allows me to back up in Sketchup 8 if I make a mistake? If Sketchup 8 is supposed to have a back button, I can't find it no where.

Ken.

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

In Sketchup:

Menu > View > Toolbars > check "Standard" to display a toolbar which contains the Undo [last function] button

And of course one can use the "Undo" option via:

Menu > Edit > Undo / Redo [last function]

FYI: One must first configure assigned time intervals at which a backup will be saved:

In Sketchup:

Menu > Window > Preferences > General > Saving > 'check':

* Create backup

* Auto-save
* Every [ # ] minutes (enter number of minutes between Auto-saves of current project)

Click [OK] button to apply the new configuration (to be used by all future Sketchup sessions).

Sketchup 'can' then keep a backup of one's current project as a *.SKB file format in the same folder as the *.SKP

Example:

If one has not yet saved a 'new' project with an assigned custom name or "title", one will see:

C:\Users\[user profile name]\Documents\AutoSave_Untitled.SKP (P = 'Project')

A backup will also be saved at assigned time intervals, appearing as:

C:\Users\[user profile name]\Documents\AutoSave_Untitled_1.SKB (B = 'Backup')

NOTE: After a Sketchup 'AutoSave' time interval is configured, when a 'bug-splat' or critical error causes a crash, a new Sketchup session 'should' prompt about availability of a "AutoSave" project file that is newer than the current one (...this is typically the *.SKB file last saved at the assigned time interval).

If selected, it should be 'saved as' a *.SKP file name without the "AutoSave_" file name prefix.

BTW: One may also browse in Sketchup using:

Menu > File > Open... > Files of Type: All files (*.*)

...and directly open a *.SKB, then "Save as" a new file name with a *.SKP file extension.

PS: In a subsequent Sketchup session, when working on a 're-opened' *.SKP file, if severe complications occur with a project, one may close the file without manually saving any edits from that session, then automatically re-open that file via:

Menu > File > Revert

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
In addition to the items mentioned by GaryGB:

open the Window->Preferences menu item

click on the Shortcuts item on the left side of the dialog

scroll down to Edit/Undo and select it

you might then find that in the Assigned box it already has Alt+Backspace and Ctrl+Z assigned. At least my Sketchup 8 does.

Otherwise, you can assign the keys you want for the operation.

Sketchup 'can' then keep a backup of one's current project as a *.SKB file format in the same folder as the *.SKP

Example:

If one has not yet saved a 'new' project with an assigned custom name or "title", one will see:

C:\Users\[user profile name]\Documents\AutoSave_Untitled.SKP (P = 'Project')

A backup will also be saved at assigned time intervals, appearing as:

C:\Users\[user profile name]\Documents\AutoSave_Untitled_1.SKB (B = 'Backup')

NOTE: After a Sketchup 'AutoSave' time interval is configured, when a 'bug-splat' or critical error causes a crash, a new Sketchup session 'should' prompt about availability of a "AutoSave" project file that is newer than the current one (...this is typically the *.SKB file last saved at the assigned time interval).

If selected, it should be 'saved as' a *.SKP file name without the "AutoSave_" file name prefix.

BTW: One may also browse in Sketchup using:

Menu > File > Open... > Files of Type: All files (*.*)

...and directly open a *.SKB, then "Save as" a new file name with a *.SKP file extension.

PS: In a subsequent Sketchup session, when working on a 're-opened' *.SKP file, if severe complications occur with a project, one may close the file without manually saving any edits from that session, then automatically re-open that file via:

Menu > File > Revert

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Hi Gary,

Thanks so much. I found the buttons I was looking for. Regarding the Auto Save, you said that if one hasn't saved a project with a custom name and a backup will also be saved at assigned time intervals, they would appear in C:\Users\[user profile name]\Documents\AutoSave_Untitled_1SKB. I now have the Auto Save turned on but I don't see those files being saved there. It just shows 2 older files from back in 2015 but not what I'm currently working on. Is it supposed to save a backup there every time it auto saves even though I continue to work? By the way, I do save my project every time I close it. I don't think this would make any difference but after my user name profile is "My Documents", not "Documents." But I supposed they're both the same and depends on the Windows version one is running. Anyway, since I always save my project, and I do try to remember to save on occasions, I usually leave the Auto Save turned off. It's just that when I've completed something and I accidently delete something that was grouped, I had to start over. But now I have the "Undo" or "back up button," so I can just click the "Undo" button and bring it back.

Ken.

Hi Gary,

I found the back-up files. Both the "project" and the "backup" are being saved in a folder that I created for my project. Maybe you can explain to me what's happening here. Regarding the "backup" file, am I supposed to open that backup file inside Sketchup or do I just double click on the file? If I go where the file is saved, it does not appear like the others, and it will not open. When I double click on the bank-up file, a window opens and prompts me to "Open With." That would be the Sketchup exe file, and I have to browse to that file. I select that and click "Open," but it doesn't accept it, even though I selected it and clicked Open. It should also place that Sketcup.exe in the "Open With" box but it doesn't do that. So, I can never open the backup file. I think it's a Windows problem but I don't know how to fix this. Do you know about this?

Ken.

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

If you have a *.SKP Project file or a backup Autosave_*.SKB you can open them using:

Menu > File > Open > browse for Files of type: "All files (*.*)"

Apparently you prefer to open files via double-clicking a *.SKP and/or *.SKB file.

That only works if the application installer configures Windows 'File Association' to open *.SKP and/or *.SKB file extensions with Sketchup.

Apparently the Sketchup 8 installer did not do that for your installation.

To manually configure Sketchup *.SKP and *.SKB 'File Associations' in Windows Explorer (aka "Computer" / "My Computer"):

1.) Right-click a *.SKP file and choose 'Properties'

2.) In Properties dialog box {General} tab > Opens With > click [Change] button

a.) If Sketchup 8 is not listed as the default application:

(1) Browse to and double-click to select the main Sketchup executable:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\SketchUp.exe

(2) Click [OK] if Sketchup appears in the {General} tab > 'Opens With' dialog box as the application used for opening *.SKP files

3.) Repeat the above procedure for a *.SKB file

GaryGB

Last edited:
I am using Sketchup Free. It does not allow me to Export to COLLADA. COLLADA is locked. Also, Sketchup Free does not have the same Toolbars as I see on this forum related to Sketchup 8?. Is there another free version of Sketchup that I can use?
Best regards,
Gus

Hi again, Gus:

I see from another thread that you are using Sketchup Free 2017 version

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/one-click-hangar.424466/post-811815

I am using Sketchup 2017. I followed your instructions to install the files in the Plugin folder. Sketchup 2017 shows your Extension not being "digitally Signed", therefore the extension can not be "installed". Please let me know if you have an update for the 2017 version. I sure would like to use your Plugin.

AFAIK, in that version, you should still be able to install plugins thate are not digitally signed in addition to being able to export Collada *.DAE files and save version-specific exports of *.SKP files.

If not you may wish to try using the last released version of Sketchup Make 2017:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/what-s-up-with-sketchup-make/55219/7

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/using-sketchup-free-when-offline/55619

Download link:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-make-2017-download-links/74172

...or try this link:

https://download.cnet.com/SketchUp-Make-2017/3000-6677_4-10257337.html

Again, let us know if your Toolbar and 3D Export to Collada *.DAE issues persist. ;)

BTW: Google Earth *.KMZ files contain all mapped Materials with a Collada *.DAE as well as geo-location info like a *.SKP file :idea:

You may also wish to install thomthom's free plugin installer which works independently of the default "Extension Manager":

https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=tt_simple_installer

PS: Be aware that "final output" of any 3D model intended for commercial use legally must be via Sketchup version 8.

GaryGB

Last edited: