• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA [Solved]Setting aircraft visibility distance?

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hello there!

I have just bought the splendid « Trafic France » AI package, but I have noticed that the AI airplanes from the addon appear or disappear at a much closer distance than default AI planes (default ones remains visible from much further than the addon ones). This creates a pop-up effect which kind of brings the realism a notch down.

So I am wondering what is the parameter that sets the visibility distance of AI models? Is it written down in the aircraft.cfg or in the MDL file?

Any input will be much appreciated!

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Thanks for your suggestion, but my question is about how the visibility distance is set.

Country
italy
Hi, as far I know, you could decrease a parameter in FSX.cfg (that you find in Users/username/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder if you have Win8). Open that file and find the lane "SmallPartRejectRadius"=x. I don't remember the default value but decrease it (2 or 1 value)

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hello all!

It’s really nice for you to come and help. The SmallPartRejectRadius=1 does the trick, but at the expense of a noticeable hit on the fps (no surprise here).

I did ask about the visibility distance of the models because default airplanes and the ones that come with Trafic France behave differently. I suppose there is a way to modify the vis distance, so that I could ease the burden of the Small... tweak and still enjoy visible AI traffic.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Visibility distance is set by the LOD value, i.e. LOD400 = display when object size on screen is at least 400 pixel.

Either lower the LOD value with ModelConverter's LOD editor (and take the framerate hit) or try to generate more lower res LODs for the model (without any animations).

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Nailed it again Heretic! I added a lower res LOD10 model, and the AI is now visible from a distance without too big a FPS hit.
Thanks!