• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Some development pictures

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

Some development pictures to show how things are going in the FSX to Flight conversion:

The Bahamas:

Bahamas.png

Approaching Manhattan:

Liberty.png

NY smokestacks:

NY_smokestacks.png

Paris:

paris.png

Still some issues with autogen, landclass tile blending, airport backgrounds... but things are coming along thanks to Steve's hard work.

Dick

Country
unitedkingdom
Ahh ... those crystal clear waters of the Bahamas brings back memories! Hawaiii. The water looks impressive!:p
That is very good progress! Thanks Dick + Steve!

This really helps reinforce the fact that Dovetail should be developing Flight not FSX!:rolleyes:
Looking forward to the next release! :)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
99.9% of this work is from Steve. I'm primarily beta testing and advising. Note this is FSX scenery converted to Flight. I think we'll get some videos soon (hope so).

Dick

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
More stable engine, much better flight modeling, much better graphics.

Country
unitedkingdom
99.9% of this work is from Steve. I'm primarily beta testing and advising. Note this is FSX scenery converted to Flight. I think we'll get some videos soon (hope so).

Dick
Hey.... it doesn't really matter! :D You get part of the credit (even though it may be small), for helping Steve out! Your help and Steve's efforts is all that counts!:)
Good Luck and let us hope that we get some "promo" videos soon! ;)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
What benefits does flight offer over fsx? Must be something to merit the project.

Flight was not meant to be an FS11. It's not any kind of improvement of that sim series.

Flight was developed as a fun flying game. And it is that.

Obviously, Flight's marketing was flawed. The DLC concept of scenery didn't go down well with the sim community. And Microsoft never made the game aspect clear to the community until the game was released. Everyone was still expecting a full-blown simulator. And 3rd party developers were never invited to the party (along with no SDK or tools).

Steve was part of the development team. He has been working to provide a means to add 3rd party content to Flight. He has been devising tools, and providing work-arounds to a missing SDK. The conversion of FSX scenery is only a first step in the process. Steve is providing tools which will allow end-users that already own FSX to convert the default scenery to a format usable by Flight. Soon, we'll have the capability of adding new scenery improvements, just as we can in FSX and P3D. Aircraft conversion is another goal, and new aircraft creation should be possible down the road.

Flight has game elements such as missions and aerocaches. Tools may become available to create and add these to the game.

Dick

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Eventually we should be able to hook up Flight's cliff texturing system to steep grades so that we don't get the ugly stretched texture effects.

Country
unitedkingdom
Again - Great work to all of you (Dick, Steve, Brandon!)! ;)
I wish I could join the conversation!
It would be great if the video could be done by the 14th. Flight is losing its servers; maybe, the team shouldn't have to recall the bad news. I may be of some assistance if that is necessary. :rolleyes:

Country
us-california
It would be great if the video could be done by the 14th. Flight is losing its servers; maybe, the team shouldn't have to recall the bad news.

I'm the one working on the video, by the way. I'm not sure I'll have it done by then, but you never know! Regardless, I don't think what we're doing will change their minds. If anything, it would prove to them that the servers are not needed to keep people using Flight.

The video will be rather cinematic, in case anyone is wondering. It's not just going to be a simple flying around video. ;)

Country
unitedkingdom
I'm the one working on the video, by the way. I'm not sure I'll have it done by then, but you never know! Regardless, I don't think what we're doing will change their minds. If anything, it would prove to them that the servers are not needed to keep people using Flight.

The video will be rather cinematic, in case anyone is wondering. It's not just going to be a simple flying around video. ;)

Sorry, Brandon... I should have been MUCH clearer! :oops:
They were never going to change their minds in the first place.:(
What I meant was that Microsoft shouldn't end on the bad news; your video will prove to Flight players that hope isn't up! The coordinators shouldn't have to end all their dedication on some bad news!

+ 1 more question for you Brandon ... How do you take your Screenshots and videos? I believe that there is a screenshot function in the game which enables you to position the camera outside the aircraft without having to spend ages positioning it using the keyboard. I was wondering if you got this working?

Thanks!

Country
us-california
Sorry, Brandon... I should have been MUCH clearer! :oops:
They were never going to change their minds in the first place.:(
What I meant was that Microsoft shouldn't end on the bad news; your video will prove to Flight players that hope isn't up! The coordinators shouldn't have to end all their dedication on some bad news!

Oh, I understand now. I sure hope it proves that there's hope! Many seem too skeptical of Flight and have rather immature and negative thoughts in mind when discussing it.

+ 1 more question for you Brandon ... How do you take your Screenshots and videos? I believe that there is a screenshot function in the game which enables you to position the camera outside the aircraft without having to spend ages positioning it using the keyboard. I was wondering if you got this working?

For screenshots, I use the Screenshot View, which is disabled by default. See my tutorial here (wow, I posted it over two years ago!) for details on how to enable it:
http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/27-screenshot-view-camera-definition/

For videos, I've been using both that view, as well as the mission system to create predefined camera movements. The camera system is actually quite flexible. I'll document it at some point and post a simple example mission with the bare minimum XML data required.