• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Stop requesting data on SimObject?

Messages
46
Country
israel
I used the RequestDataOnSimObject method to get a continous stream of data on the current flight.
When the flight ends, how do I stop it? I don't see a way to cancel the request... is removing the listeners enough?

simconnect.RequestDataOnSimObject(DATA_REQUESTS.AIRCRAFT_INFO_REQUEST, DEFINITIONS.AircraftInfo, SimConnect.SIMCONNECT_OBJECT_ID_USER, SIMCONNECT_PERIOD.SECOND, SIMCONNECT_DATA_REQUEST_FLAG.DEFAULT, 0u, 0u, 0u);
simconnect.OnRecvSimobjectData += new SimConnect.RecvSimobjectDataEventHandler(simconnect_OnRecvSimobjectData);
 
The procedure I use to stop/clear/remove a variable request is to first set the update period of the request to "never" and then invoke SimConnect::ClearDataDefinition. In managed/C# it would look something like..

C#:
simconnect.RequestDataOnSimObject(DATA_REQUESTS.AIRCRAFT_INFO_REQUEST, DEFINITIONS.AircraftInfo, SimConnect.SIMCONNECT_OBJECT_ID_USER, SIMCONNECT_PERIOD.NEVER, SIMCONNECT_DATA_REQUEST_FLAG.DEFAULT, 0u, 0u, 0u);
simconnect.ClearDataDefinition(DEFINITIONS.AircraftInfo);

Technically I think only the `ClearDataDefinition()` part is required, but it has been proven that SimConnect may sometimes crash (the whole sim) when removing or changing data requests which are currently active.
<https://forums.flightsimulator.com/...dler-and-potential-sdk-replacement/369464/86?>

HTH,
-Max
 
Thanks!
I am new to this, and this is 9ne of the least documented apis I ever had to use!
 
Arguably worse, the docs are sometimes just wrong. Perhaps outdated or maybe they were never correct in the first place. Though I have to say there have been significant improvements in the last year or so. But still, for example one cannot assume that any particular listed Sim Var, Event ID, or System Event will actually work (at all or as described). I've reported some of the more glaring issues/omissions in the past, and some of the reported stuff [1] in general does get fixed, but there's only so much bandwidth one can allocate to bug-chasing their docs... and then there are new issues after every sim/SDK update. :rolleyes:

Anyway, not to discourage you, but yea, embrace the "discovery process." 🥲

[1] at <devsupport.flightsimulator.com> which is currently down with some license error.... 😂
 
Back
Top