• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Stupid question!

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

I am doing my first object for p3d v4. Do I need to convert it with MCX or can I export in the right format from blender into P3D?

Also, when export and importing into MCX the objects renders in MCX but with no textures, even if textures is on in MCX any ideas?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do I need to convert it with MCX or can I export in the right format from blender into P3D?

The toolset is meant for aircraft, if you want to place objects (i.e. scenery) in p3d you'll have to use either MCX with its location tool. You can find it under wizards and click convert and place object wizard (the rest should be pretty straight forward -
).

Also, when export and importing into MCX the objects renders in MCX but with no textures, even if textures is on in MCX any ideas?

Two questions: Have you set the textures to the appropriate materials? Are you in textured rendered mode?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The tool for Blender is capable doing scenery/ models as well. Though it doesn't create a placement file, such as a bgl.

The textures do need to be placed on the model prior to compiling,.. otherwise there is a chance that the model will not show up.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The Tool doesn't create a BGL file only a model file (.mdl),... to place the .mdl file you can use ADE or any other placement application.

Sorry, I was editing my first reply.

I'm not really sure what your asking about concerning the textures,... Are you having trouble within Blender in UV mapping or is it something else?

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
You have to check "create xml placement file".

Of course valid coordinates need to be entered.
you still have to convert the textures, e.g. using DXTBMP.

Country
unitedkingdom
You have to check "create xml placement file".

Of course valid coordinates need to be entered.
you still have to convert the textures, e.g. using DXTBMP.
Ok cool. I have done that. What do you do with the textures?

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
What do you do with the textures?
Use a texture conversion tool (DXTBMP, image tool, MCX texture converter..... there are several) and convert them to P3D readable format, usually dds. Save them in your addon texture folder.

Country
unitedkingdom
Cool thanks for all your help. I will let you know how I am going. Hopefully, I will get this out before 2018!
f19222e9c4b2028a83e7e1dbbeef0809.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
The toolset is meant for aircraft, if you want to place objects (i.e. scenery) in p3d you'll have to use either MCX with its location tool. You can find it under wizards and click convert and place object wizard (the rest should be pretty straight forward -
).

Two questions: Have you set the textures to the appropriate materials? Are you in textured rendered mode?
Errrr. . . . Right material? I am just applying the textures via nodes. Can you elaborate? Thank you

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
in blender you apply a material to your object and a texture to your material. So under the materials tab you set the texture for your material and export afterwards.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
no see you are using blender notes and that won't work. Go back to blender render, create a normal material and assign the texture in the tab next to the materials tab (to the right of it, the checkerboard icon)

Country
unitedkingdom
no see you are using blender notes and that won't work. Go back to blender render, create a normal material and assign the texture in the tab next to the materials tab (to the right of it, the checkerboard icon)
Hi,

Ok, so. . . . No nodes . . . Replace node textures with basic material and apply textures to the materials.

I am guessing that I have to apply UV layer and use that layer to apply the textures on MCX?

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I am guessing that I have to apply UV layer and use that layer to apply the textures on MCX?
Actually you can do it all in Blender.

You have to set the render mode (top center) to "Blender Render".
What you find now in the material tab of the property panel is what you will work with.
be sure to check "FSX Material Params" as the interesting FSX/P3D specific parameters are to be set there.

Check out this wiki page for texturing:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blender2FSX_Toolset_manual#FSX_Materials

Regarding the whole tool it is a bit outdated but in the texturing case nothing had changed.

Country
unitedkingdom
Actually you can do it all in Blender.

You have to set the render mode (top center) to "Blender Render".
What you find now in the material tab of the property panel is what you will work with.
be sure to check "FSX Material Params" as the interesting FSX/P3D specific parameters are to be set there.

Check out this wiki page for texturing:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blender2FSX_Toolset_manual#FSX_Materials

Regarding the whole tool it is a bit outdated but in the texturing case nothing had changed.
Interesting read. Thank you. 1 question; how do I make sure I am not using animation? Odd question I know, the reason for the question is when exporting to MCX I get loads of error messages regarding missing animation. I cannot work out why. I think it might be becuase of the use of texture nodes.