• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SU11 Helipads

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Attached is an example of a helipad. Things have changed a bit. I just added it to c59, but it could have been a new airport.
Untitled.png

The Microsoft examples don't have parking associated with the helipads,, so I left it out as well.

Attachments

• LakeLawn Helipad.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Has anyone refined the art of placing a pad on a raised platform?

I'm getting the helicopter starting on the ground quite a way away with no start.

Adding a start in what I thought was the right place had it upside down at ground level.

It looks like the start has a different relationship to the position compared to other aircraft.

Edit - The centre of the start is the centre of the helicopter's mesh. That's not the case with other starts.

Last edited:
Untitled.png

Attached is a transparent cube, with helipad and parking. I include the .blender file as well. First, place the model. Second, place the helipad object type as this will now snap to the elevation of the top of the cube. Third, add a parking spot (if desired). The cube has a box collision.

Untitled01.png

Attachments

• helipad.zip
    140.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Attached is a project that creates heliports for the MSFS Gulf of Mexico oil rigs present in microsoft-usa-point-of-interest. The Heliports are labeled as G0001 to G2225. Yep, 2225 landable heliports. It will slow down the World Map.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Gulf Oil Rigs.zip
    318.2 KB · Views: 146
Here's a valid Helipad Start attached to CSK3 near Montreal Quebec, but the actual Start is at C59, in Delavan Wisconsin, thousands of kilometers away. It is not visible on the World Map. But if you choose CSKE, and then choose a start position, HELIPAD01 shows up as a choice... and that is at a grassy area by C59, The elevation (alt) is ignored!

XML:
 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FSData version="9.0">
  <Airport state="Quebec" city="Montreal" name="Mascouche" ident="CSK3" lat="45.71880016475920" lon="-73.59895884990689" alt="22.84200000000000" magvar="16.000000" trafficScalar="1.000000" airportTestRadius="1300802.62247102637775" applyFlatten="FALSE" isOnTIN="FALSE">
    <Start type="HELIPAD" number="1" designator="NONE" lat="42.63016820517689" lon="-88.60047750268538" alt="300.00" heading="0.00000000000000" />>
  </Airport>
</FSData>

Last edited:
Thanks for the transparent cube - clever solution.
In this video, at 12:00, Federico uses a collision surface from the SDK to support a pad on a building. I haven't tried it myself yet.

I looks like MSFS forces the helicopter to spawn with engines running if a helipad is selected as start position. Anyone know of a workaround to prevent that happening?
Dave

I looks like MSFS forces the helicopter to spawn with engines running if a helipad is selected as start position. Anyone know of a workaround to prevent that happening?
Use TaxiwayParking. I used that in the above helipad.zip. You get a choice of using the Start or the TaxiwayParking.

Yeah, thanks I saw that. Trouble is a user would have to be briefed to select the parking spot instead of the helipad.
If you zoom way in, you'll see there is a slightly offset parking spot.

I had no problem adding helipads to the oil rig placements in AK and CA, but trying to add parking spots - just snapped to terrain / water. Did you have any luck with placing parking spots on an elevated surface?
Also - did Asobo ever update the oil rigs w collision? Previously, they didn't and you'll fall through... so a bunch of us had to add helideck plugs w collision to make it work...

407 CA08.jpg

The above Gulf Oil Rigs.zip has a model with an invisible cylinder and a cylinder collision for all the gulf oil rigs. I didn't add parking there. In the helipad.zip, there is a model, and collision box, and a parking spot.

ok, cool... so your parking spots are working on an elevated surface? or the helipad asset is for ground use?

also, did you do your placement procedurally? updating 40 rigs by hand in my scenery was a PitA - can't imagine doing 2000 :p

Last edited:
The invisible mesh and the collision box (or cylinder) needs to be set a ground level, I believe. This makes a solid column to the ground.
I made one library object to solidify the landing pad, and separate heliports for each rig. I made a C# program to place (and offset) the landable mesh object from the decompiled Microsoft placement of the over 2000 rigs. I'm 70 years old. Not enough time to place them individually. :laughing:

The invisible mesh and the collision box (or cylinder) needs to be set a ground level, I believe. This makes a solid column to the ground.
I made one library object to solidify the landing pad, and separate heliports for each rig. I made a C# program to place (and offset) the landable mesh object from the decompiled Microsoft placement of the over 2000 rigs. I'm 70 years old. Not enough time to place them individually. :laughing:
hehe, I did CA and AK because they were under 20 rigs each, I've got Adratic rigs as well - but there were well over 50-60, and passed on doing that ;) Also, my data was much better for CA and AK, so I felt it was more worthwhile.

scripting all that is ace! I wish I'd automated the process as well ;)
I'll give the cylinder collision a try and see if fixes the parking spot issue - thx!

Unless something has changed, parking spots can still only be placed on official terrain so you'll have to terraform to raise it up, which obviously isn't viable for many cases.

I guess they invented helipads to avoid having to adjust that.

Interestingly I've noted a few airports have helipads showing up even though they haven't been modified since SU11. UK2000's EGFF has a couple in slightly strange locations.

You can place parking in a heliport on a raised model. Just make sure the model uses a collision box or cylinder for the platform, and the collision is extended down to the ground level.

Back