• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

TCalcX/Net framework 2/Vista 64

GHD

Country
england
I currently use TCalcX on XP but have transferred it to my Vista 64 bit system. It fails with:

I tried to install Net Framework 2.0 but it is not compatible with x64, what do I do :confused:

George

Country
netherlands
.NET 2.0 is compatible with x64. It has to be as it is part of .NET 3.0 and hence comes preinstalled on your Vista system.

Yes, I know this does not solve your problem, but at least it might stop you from looking the wrong place for a solution.

GHD

Country
england
... but at least it might stop you from looking the wrong place for a solution.
That's why I'm looking here ;)

TCalcX is searching for a particular simconnect version which does exist in SxS as shown above.

George

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi George.

TCalcX uses the initial SDK's SimConnect.dll.

As far as I know, this is not an issue with TCalcX or FSX. This is an issue with the file structure or side-by-side usage in your computer.

Your picture shows a folder that should contain the actual file SimConnect.dll.

Viewing the properties of this file should show it to be version 10.0.60905.0

You might try to copy this version of the SimConnect.dll to the same folder as TCalcX, and see if that works. If it does, then I can confirm this is a problem with the way your computer is using Simconnect as designed.

Dick

GHD

Country
england
Thanks Dick,

I copied Simconnect.dll to the same folder as TCalcX and it still fails:

I've also tried running TCalcX in XP compatibility mode with the same result. Note I also have UAC switched off.

Unfortunately, the only other simconnect application I have at the moment is FSUIPC. This works, but it uses the SP2 version (61259.0).

I am completely baffled, presumably if I write my own application it will also use the latest version of SimConnect.dll.

George

Last edited:
Country
france
The public key token is different (TCalcX requests 31bf3856... but the one registered in WinSxS is 67c7144...)

GHD

Country
england
The public key token is different (TCalcX requests 31bf3856... but the one registered in WinSxS is 67c7144...)
I don't think so, this is what I have on my XP machine where TCalcX works:

George

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi George.

In that TCalcX fails with the DLL in the same folder, that indicates your WinSxS is correctly installed ( because it should override even local dll placement ).

Perhaps someone else with Vista64 could confirm the problem.

I see you have 3 versions of Simconnect on your computer... which version of FSX are you running ( FSX, SP1, Acceleration )?

Dick

GHD

Country
england
Hi Dick,

The three versions will be RTM, SP1 and SP2, I am running FSX/Acceleration/SP2.

I created a simple command window app with VC++ 2005 on my XP machine, copied it to the Vista machine and it worked fine:

I have no idea why TCalcX doesn't work.

George

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi George.

I'm wondering if there is a problem with Acceleration and the original ( RTM ) Simconnect.dll

The app you made is from the Acceleration SDK's Simconnect?

Unless it was made from the RTM SDK's Simconnect, and is a 32-bit program, it wouldn't be the same.

I don't believe this is a .NET problem.

I don't have Vista-64, and I don't have Acceleration ( nor intend to have it ).

At Simflight Forums, Pete Dowson's forum, there is another Vista-64 thread:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=66190

Cruising the web, there does seem to be some issues between FSX and Vista.

TCalcX should "work" without FSX started... it just won't let you connect. Does that work?

Also, check this out-> Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x64)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-ACF8-4FA1-AFFB-40E78D788B00&displaylang=en

And again, reinstalling the RTM SDK's Simconnect MSI file may work. It;s found here, but in my XP-32 folders:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM

Dick

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi George.

I mentioned reinstalling the RTM SimConnect msi as per the TCalcX sticky:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4273

This would make the third time I have had people not able to run the program... and receive a .NEt message as you described. I'm hoping a re-installation of the RTM Simconnect.dll may be the solution.

Also, apparently there needs to be a special 64-bit .NET runtime used to allow even 32-bit apps to run under XP-64 or Vista-64.

Dick

GHD

Country
england
Thanks Dick,

The app was made by linking with SimConnect.lib in the latest (SP2) SDK. It is a W32 console application (not .NET) but it works in Vista64. I have extended it to output the base directory and filename:

Given that you kindly supplied the code for TCalcX, I will write a C++ dialog based app with the same edit fields as TCalcX to see whether that will work in Vista64.

Unfortunately, the only person I know who really understands SimConnect is Pete Dowson and he is on holiday until the beginning of December :(

George

Last edited:
Country
australia
I opened up the source and recompiled it on my Vista 64bit machine. Also I reinstalled the RTM version of SimConnect, if you have the SDK there is a folder that contains all the files for previous versions (\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces). To be honest I can't remember which change did it, but it now works.

I've attached the copy that I built, see if that does it?

Attachments

• TCalcX_002.exe
    36 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
Thanks Rhys :D

Your version works fine on Vista64 without needing to re-install anything. I still have three versions of SimConnect.dll in my SxS directory.

George

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I opened up the source and recompiled it on my Vista 64bit machine. Also I reinstalled the RTM version of SimConnect, if you have the SDK there is a folder that contains all the files for previous versions (\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces). To be honest I can't remember which change did it, but it now works.

Hi rhysa.

Could you rename that Exe as TCalcX-64.exe? Otherwise I see a problem down the road. :)

Hi George.

I don't know why it had to be recompiled in order to work. The original TCalcX ( 32-bit ) still doesn't work?

Dick

GHD

Country
england
Hi rhysa.

Could you rename that Exe as TCalcX-64.exe? Otherwise I see a problem down the road. :)
I guess Rhys compiled it as 32 bit since SimConnect is a 32 bit DLL and this version also works in XP :confused:

Hi George.

I don't know why it had to be recompiled in order to work. The original TCalcX ( 32-bit ) still doesn't work?

Dick
No Dick, the original still doesn't work, but Rhys' works in both XP and Vista 64.

George

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi George.

I'm sorry to bother you. :(

Attached is TCalcX_003... I think this may work for 64-bit as well as 32-bit.

Could you test it?

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
Sorry Dick,

Same crash in Vista 64. In XP, the dialog is huge and it doesn't get the correct ground altitude:

George

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin

Hi rhysa.

Can you test both the original TCalcX and the one I attached above, to see if they work on your 64-bit Vista system?

The attached one I made works on my 32-bit XP just fine. And yours works on my system just fine, and the original works just fine.

Dick

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

I see others are starting to have problems with SimConnect and Vista-64:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=255&topic_id=1118

I also think there may be problems with the FSX Acceleration expansion. The Aces team now indicates that addons made for FSX may not work in Acceleration, because the Aces have changed some internal code in the game engine... effectively making it a new sim entirely. Acceleration does NOT = FSX.

Dick