• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Terrain mesh issue

Country
us-northcarolina
Used the MSFS Toolkit to create a mesh for an airport I'm working on. Overall it looks good, but there are some jagged edges showing up in some areas. These don't show up in the original data, nor in the heightmaps that generate the terrain in the sim. Any suggestions?

Untitled-1.jpg

Country
unitedstates
I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to comment how how nice it looks even with the little humps. :)

Country
thailand
Jon - If playing with the falloff value doesn't fix it and you can't find a decent solution then maybe just hide the jaggies with matching shrubs until you hopefully run across a solution. Just a thought, anyway.

Cheers from Thailand!

Country
us-illinois
Hi Jon:

IIUC, you may be incurring aliasing of run time terrain grid quad edges in the horizontal plane just as legacy FS version terrain grid quads might do when a RWY is not precisely oriented on the N-S, E-W Cardinal Axes.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...g-a-large-non-flat-airport.450254/post-865482

AFAIK, MSFS SDK has not yet formally documented what the terrain grid quad system infrastructure actually involves, so we can work with a set of known guidelines and stop guessing. :duck:

Hmmm... August 18, 2022 will be MSFS' 2nd birthday; do we want to deal with a temperamental sim undergoing a "Terrible Two-Year-Old" phase ? ;)

But I am intrigued by the vertical "undulations", and I wonder if that may be an artifact of terrain 'smoothing' as a result of the terraforming subsystem when a substantial "falloff" is applied.:scratchch

This would be a good test case for better understanding how the new MSFS terrain engine works.

I would be interested in looking at high resolution elevation source data for this location.

Would you please consider disclosing the ICAO either here- or via PM- so I can see what the SDK is actually doing with our submitted high resolution elevation source data ?

(I suspect MSFS is "dumbing it down" to reduce precision at run time). :banghead:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-northcarolina
I tinkered a bit with the falloff but nothing changed. I'll play with some wilder numbers.

I would be interested in looking at high resolution elevation source data for this location.

Would you please consider disclosing the ICAO either here- or via PM- so I can see what the SDK is actually doing with our submitted high resolution elevation source data ?

(I suspect MSFS is "dumbing it down" to reduce precision at run time). :banghead:

Apparently they're going to soon open up terrain editing to us. We'll see.

The airport is KMKJ. The elevation data is the lidar based DEM found on the USGS data download site. SUPER crisp resolution.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Jon:

Thanks for the ICAO; here's some screenies for others to compare MSFS default with Google Earth and your custom terrain above:

MSFS (default terrain)

msfs_kmkj_rwy-26_end-jpg.81973

MSFS shows a "flat" terrain appearance that is not representative of the local terrain in real life; definitely NOT "As Real As It Gets". :yikes:

Google Earth - Desktop Edition

ge_kmkj_rwy-26_end-jpg.81974

Google Earth shows "vertical undulations"; this 'may' have used the same elevation source data (but down-sampled to ~30 Meters).

UPDATE:

Here is the extent of MSFS' default "Airport Bounds" flatten; it does not extend outside any immediately adjacent KMKJ default Airport terrain surfaces.

ge_kmkj_rwy-26_end_msfs_default_cvx2618_flx-jpg.81986

It is otherwise likely that the Terra-forming "Falloff Distance" (Meters) may impact run time rendering of surrounding terrain:

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/ht...r/Objects/Runway_Objects.htm?rhhlterm=flatten

"Terraforming

The Terraforming Section Of The Runway Properties

Initially, when you place a runway, the land that it is placed on will be automatically terraformed to flatten it and keep the runway on an even plane. However this can then be edited from this section. The most basic option available is the Falloff Distance (in meters) which is used to "feather" the edges of the terraforming to make the transition between the flattened runway and surrounding terrain less (or more) extreme. When setting this value, an extra set of lines will be rendered to show the area of the falloff, as illustrated in the image below:"

The Falloff Distance Being Used On A Runway

GaryGB

Attachments

• MSFS_KMKJ_RWY-26_End.jpg
    MSFS_KMKJ_RWY-26_End.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 327
  • GE_KMKJ_RWY-26_End.jpg
    GE_KMKJ_RWY-26_End.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 338
  • GE_KMKJ_RWY-26_End_MSFS_Default_CVX2618_FLX.jpg
    GE_KMKJ_RWY-26_End_MSFS_Default_CVX2618_FLX.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Country
us-northcarolina
Some insight.... decreasing the output resolution with the toolkit smoothed it out a good bit. Will just have to be a temporary measure until more terrain capabilities are unlocked!