• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Texture Distortion when Importing into MSFS

This is one of the several solutions I've accomplished. It's not a texture issue it's how I was applying it. But in Blender I'm not sure how to apply textures.
In Sketchup, I used the Thrupaint tool and it fixes that stretch or any misaligned, distorted texture. I thought it was a [face] issue with the structure. Just wanted to provide to you the fact that it's the way the material is applied.
Screenshot (91).png
Screenshot (93).png
 
I think the stretching you are referring to pertains to varying texel densities between UV islands or non-planar UV projections. Seeing that it is a flat face, the stretching can be solved by applying a uniform texel density to the blue frame area. This can be done by eyeing it using a UV grid texture, or by using a texel density tool for Blender.

To come back to the op's issue - I would cut the roof area with seams into smaller UV islands' seeing that you are using Substance Painter this should not be a problem. Unwrap the flat parts of the roof using view from above, and possible conformal for curved parts. In my experience with curved surfaces it is better to break it up into smaller parts that will not translate into curved lines when drawing straight lines through it. You almost have to approach it from an architectural/structural perspective on how it was constructed in the first place.

Warping happens when you are trying to squeeze too much flatness out of a curvy mesh. If you are trying to use a simple conformal unwrap approach or smart project unwrap it is like hitting it with a blunt hammer and expecting a clean result. Think of it as a pattern for clothing, except that the material doesn't like to stretch. Cut it into smaller pieces so that your curves can be better represented as flat islands.

Smart project unwrapping in Blender hides a lot of dragons if you don't cut sufficient number of seams into an object first.
 
This time, I remade the roof, and unwarpped it without using smart uv projection. The distortion definitely mitigated, however you can still see some minor distortion, as shown in this pic:
1619500677231.png

For reference, this is my UV layout. The stripes on the left are the edges.
1619500827541.png
 
You are not using any edge seams on your curved areas - I am not surprised that you are running into those issues.

Start perhaps by placing a seam along to centerline of the roof at least. With the number of vertices you are wasting on your curved roof you can more than half your vertex count and rather model the rooftile panel section in your mesh and unwrap it as its own island.
Admittedly it is not the easiest of shapes you are trying to model - I would still opt for a top down view and unwrapping from view for the roof area rather than smart project. In Substance I would also suggest painting with a UV alignment instead of Tangent | Wrap and see if that makes a difference.

Roof_Issue.jpg
 
Thanks! I think I've solved the issue. The topology in that area was kinda bad. So I fixed it, giving it a nice flow. Like this:
1619575796804.png

Then I just used normal unwrap, and the distortion disappeared:
1619575844131.png

The issue is totally related with topology. For example, I still get some small distortion in this area. But the distortion is pretty minor, so I might call it a day:
1619575918853.png
 
Very nice, glad you managed to resolve that. Would be cool to see more screenshots of this in future; looks like an awesome building!
 
Top