Texture question

I created a texture sheet and textured a building. I forgot to add a garage door to the texture sheet. If I add it to an unused space on the sheet and then texture the model, it creates another in model resource so that it shows two texture sheets. How can I avoid this? I don't want to re-texture the entire model but I want to keep only one texture sheet. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello:

IIUC, in Sketchup, using the "Paint Bucket" tool, you first selected the custom texture sheet (aka "Texture Atlas") you created, from the Materials > In Model pick-list before mapping that newly-added Garage Door texture image area (within your larger 1-piece custom texture sheet) ...onto the face for the Garage Door ? :scratchch

If so, AFAIK, you would < only ? > have derived another separate new Material created within the Materials > In Model pick-list ...after you select that face for the Garage Door, Right-click, and make it a "Unique Texture (with- or without- intent to subsequently perform a "Combine Texture" procedure with an adjacent co-planar face).

I would suggest verifying that the separate new Material created within the Materials > In Model does NOT get created within the pick-list by being certain to NOT select the face for the Garage Door, NOT Right-click, and NOT make it a "Unique Texture".

BTW: Which numeric / year version of Sketchup are you using at this time ?

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Gary, Thanks for the quick reply. Here is what I am doing in order. I am using 2016 v 16.1.1449 64 bit.

1. Close Sketchup
2. Open texture sheet and add item to unused space. Save texture sheet using the same name, etc.
3. Open Sketchup
4. Click on the house icon for in model materials. The texture sheet that shows up there is the old one before the item was added. Click on the texture sheet and use the paint bucket to paint the texture on to the model. The texture sheet does not contain the added item so I am not able to.
5. If I go to file>import then it adds the modified texture sheet in to the in model materials slot. If I delete the original texture sheet in the list, it deletes all my textures from the model. I am left with the modified texture sheet in the list but no textures on the model.

After editing your texture, in SketchUp open up the Paint Bucket, which will open the Material Editor.

Click on your texture, then the Edit tab. Now go re-select your texture.

You should now be good to go.

cheers,
Lane

Hi again:

Indeed, as Lane alludes to above, you could simply "re-select" your texture to essentially "re-import" that edited texture sheet / texture atlas into the Sketchup Materials > In Model pick-list for your 3D model.

With no disrespect intended to Lanes good intentions, I would be concerned, however, as to whether this would cause you to lose all texture mappings you have already created for your project from all image areas within that 1-piece texture sheet. :alert:

I have yet to get some time available to test this work-flow, but I'm curious if this recommended process worked for you ? :scratchch

If not, there is another way to edit your custom texture sheet / atlas so that it may retain all existing mappings to faces on your 3D model. :idea:

I shall await your reply to this query before I post further info on how to directly edit your "working copy" of the custom texture sheet / atlas so that it may retain all existing mappings to faces on your 3D model. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
I edit textures all the time without ever having to use more than one texture. In fact I usually start with a photographic projection and then progressively edit the photograph to look better on the model. As a relevant example, I will start with a photographic image of the entire front of the garage. From that I will select the areas I want to add geometric detail, like porticoes or awnings. Later I will acquire a high detail image of the exact garage door I intend to render. That will be placed elsewhere on my garage.jpg and I will navigate to it when I re-import the garage.jpg, exactly as described above, to replace the projected image on the door. These edited additions do not even need to be to scale, texture mappings will remain intact so long as you don't move the yellow pin while projecting.

Also SketchUp supports layered .psd format images so you can keep your edits layered and you can add additional layers like "night" and "dirt," etc. Simply re-import these as described above. When it comes time to compile, SU will not export the proprietary Photoshop format. No problem, simply pick up the layered master texture file with MCX which also supports the format.

With no disrespect intended to Lanes good intentions, I would be concerned, however, as to whether this would cause you to lose all texture mappings you have already created for your project from all image areas within that 1-piece texture sheet.
Having done it hundreds of times I can say that you will not lose any mapping.

cheers,
Lane

Now I just click on the house icon under the select tab to show the texture sheet. I right click on the texture sheet icon and select edit texture image. I have Paint set as my texture editor (Window > System Preferences > Applications) so I opens paint up with my texture image. If I need to do more than paint can handle, I make a copy of the texture sheet by selecting the house icon and right clicking on my texture sheet and then selecting save as. I save a copy on my desktop, open it and make the changes to it in Gimp and then export it as the same type which will overwrite the one on the desktop. Then I open it in Paint and select the entire region of the sheet and copy it. I then go back like I was going to edit my texture image in Paint and when it is open in Paint I just paste the copy over the old one. May not be the most slick way but it works for me and it is quite fast.