• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Textures & Graphics

Country
unitedstates
Hi folks.

I'm in the midst of creating my textures for a new model, and a few things come to mind. Templates.

Considering the formats that can be "saved-as", what is the best settings & format to save in from Adobe Photoshop for the best presentation in FSX? JPG, Tiff, etc. (Not to confuse the final format, DDS/BMP that we all know FSX prefers)

Hopefully I can tap into the wealth of knowledge by those experienced.

OB

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
If you save as .psd from PhotoShop you'll be able to assign the .psd directly in gmax or sketchup, others as well most likely. You can also export directly to .dds from a .psd with Imagetool

Jim

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
What Jim said!

For scenery with relatively simple, but many texture files this is a workable workflow.

Sent with Tapatalk for iPhone

Country
unitedstates
Jim, hcornea, the assistance is appreciated.

Your meaning of "assigning" textures. When I click the area on the model, and then choose (entity info) where that particular color or image the area is getting pulled from in the entity info? IE: Template source?
Link - http://sketchupdate.blogspot.com/2011/08/assigning-materials-to-groups-and.html

My latest project. http://sdrv.ms/SDfAh0
12620122012dec7006.jpg

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Wow, that's a good looking model, OleBoy!

Your meaning of "assigning" textures. When I click the area on the model, and then choose (entity info) where that particular color or image the area is getting pulled from in the entity info? IE: Template source?

Not sure exactly what you mean by the above, but here's basically what I do (or did, it's been a while since I've done anything with Sketchup). First I made the basic shape in sketchup, then I made a .psd in photoshop where each face is roughly the shape & proportions needed to fit the model.

sketchup_matl01.jpg

sketchup_matl02.jpg

sketchup_matl03.jpg

sketchup_matl04.jpg

The only problem is that if you make subsequent edits to the .psd they won't appear in Sketchup unless you edit the material and browse/reload your .psd from file. Sketchup embeds a copy of the .psd in the .skp file and you have to update that in order to see any recent changes. Gmax reads the .psd from file whenever you open the model so any texture updates appear automatically.

Jim

Country
unitedstates
Jim, thanks for the assist.

I'm doing exactly as you explain. From that aspect applying the texture to the area is a simple process. Although I have ran into instances where (when dragging the template to size) the whole template flips or distorts. My only option is to reset and try again. Some areas have taken six times to get the texture where it needs to be. By that time I am SO frustrated! I learned instead of flipping/rotating the image in sketchup, that it was easier to just place one already set the way it needs to be on the template.

My current template sizes (two) are 2048x2048. Would I honestly be better off going 1024 based on what you mentioned above (121')?

Also, since I have your attention (milking it for all I can :D ), the concrete blocks at the foundation. I have a set on the templates. Problem is that they don't tile the way sketchup files do. Is there a work around for that? Or, do I need to make the blocks an (and all other tile type texture applications) individual texture so they do? The logs Are the same way.

Wait a minute. Brain fart. I get what you're saying now. I'm laying out each individual piece of the house (as components so to speak) onto the template as pieces. WHAT I NEED TO DO is make a WHOLE SIDE. Finished...Copy Paste! One of those for each side of the model.

Got It!!!! :rolleyes:

Now for the $121 question. What's the best method to base scale on the template compared to the textures needed on the model? Trial and error?

Oh, you said something to the affect of "nice model". Thanks. It's back to a big white cube in preparation for new textures. Did I mention I love to model? I use to like doing textures and graphics before I started liking modeling. :D

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Firstly, I hope you kept a backup copy of that model, I'd be damned if I'd re-texture it at this stage :) ...but maybe on your next model try:

WHAT I NEED TO DO is make a WHOLE SIDE. Finished...Copy Paste! One of those for each side of the model.

An advantage to that also is that you can make yourself a shading layer on your .psd and airbrush some semi-transparent shadows along the tops of the walls where the eaves hang over for example, something you can't do when tiling textures, and it makes a world of difference in the overall look of the model.As long as you keep your shading layer above everything else in the .psd you can add anything you want below it and the shadow will lay over top of it like shadows do in the real world. If you decide you don't like the shading later on you can delete all or part of the shading layer and have another try without having to re-do everything underneath.

On the texture resolution 121' thing, it's simple math but not hypercritical because you're going to squish & stretch the texture with the pins until it fits the surface anyway. A ballpark figure is really close enough, but it is nice to have it roughly the correct size to begin with and not very hard to do.

I arrived at 121' like this:

- my building is 85' wide in sketchup

- that portion of my texture sheet is 719 px tall

719/85 = 8.458823529411765, therefore 8.46px/ft

my texture sheet is 1024 x 1024 so:

1024/8.46 = 121.0401891252955

(the full 1024 px would cover 121' on the model)

Using that figure, the front part of that texture sheet pretty much snapped into place on the front of the model with very little stretching or skewing. If you're using 2048 texture sheets just modify the math accordingly.

Jim

Country
unitedstates
I keep back-ups for everything I do these days. I've been around the template circle several times in the past where I got bit by a HD crash, or saved the template flattened :eek:.

Concerning redoing the textures on the model, one more time for good measures. Besides, I learned something of it that was very much needed in the process.
If you knew me you would understand how knit picky I am with everything. Which is why I really don't mind doing them again. Have a peek at a graphics learning curve I perfected. http://sdrv.ms/N2WFK0

Mental note taken: Calculating pixels = Good idea.

I'd be doing great if I did the model, and someone else did the textures. :D

Thanks again.

Don

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Texture creation is going well. On a flat surface this method is great.
Thinking ahead (more like avoidance) about the round extended room, I cringe at "how" I am going to texture the areas based on how the model is designed.

Any thoughts?

Country
unitedstates
Probably just make a texture for one facet of the rounded room and apply it to each facet - unless they are unique enough to warrant an individual texture for each - arrrggghhh.

I usually just take one flat surface at a time, it's nice when you can do an entire side of a building as a whole but when the object get's complex it can lead to some pretty hacked up texture sheets. This is a gmax project, and gmax has an advantage over sketchup in that you can print screen the UVW editor to come up with a template (size & proportions) for each surface to lay down on your texture sheet, but other than that it's no different:

sketchup_matl05.jpg

sketchup_matl06.jpg

Jim

Country
unitedstates
Your texture work (photo real) looks fantastic. My approach in laying out my model has been as you mention per side.
I tried pulling a texture used on an end wall (garage) to the back wall to cheat. I thought it would work.
It does do the trick and saves a bit of time in terms of layout, but the windows I used on the end wall became elongated. A simple fix in terms of getting it correct.

Looking at both your template and model are a great composition. Great for mental perspective.

Your assistance has been, and is of great help for me in my venture. Your tips are helping my though process immensely.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I think I'm on a roll. The left garage wall is done, and the front of the garage is almost there. Everything else is temporary for visual depth.

87333906.jpg

Country
unitedstates
Did you guys use a program to make your texture sheets? Currently I make mine via mspaint copy and past into one file; time consuming. Was wondering if you know a program that will do this for me? if not I will have a new project to employ my new python skills :)

Country
unitedstates
I use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended.

I did an export to .DAE as a template test to check drawcalls. 95% of the textures in my model are on three custom built .PSD files. I expected good results :)
Show stopper!
After export I opened the texture folder and huh? There were 37 .PSD's in the folder. :eek:

HUH? I don't understand.:confused:

See attached HTML file.

Attachments

• 1009_report.zip
    718 bytes · Views: 270
Last edited:
Country
spain
do you apply the textures with the paint bucket? it's the problem with the Dae objects, you should apply the texture with a texture sheet and the other way that I can't remember right now. look for the Arno tutorial about Sketchup, it's explained very clearly.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
If you created a new material and selected your .psd from file each time you textured a new face you will indeed end up with dozens of drawcalls like this. You only need to create a new material once for each .psd, then apply the same material to each face with the bucket tool as you map the textures. In gmax you could simply select a material from the material editor, apply it to all faces that use the texture, and delete the unused materials. Unfortunately it appears you loose your mapping when you do that in Sketchup unless someone knows a way around it.

You can do two things:

1. From the material editor choose "in model" and select a material corresponding to a particular .psd. Click each face with the bucket tool that uses that particular .psd. Do this for each .psd. When finished you should be able to choose "Window > model info" from the menu and hit "purge unused" which should clear all but the three materials from the "in model" list. Unfortunately it looks like you'll have to remap everything using this option.

2. Export the model to .dae and use MCX to consolidate down to only 3 materials. This approach will preserve your mapping. Export as .mdl from MCX when finished.

Jim

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the response Bernardo. I have a LOT to learn ahead me thinks.

If you created a new material and selected your .psd from file each time you textured a new face you will indeed end up with dozens of drawcalls like this. You only need to create a new material once for each .psd, then apply the same material to each face with the bucket tool as you map the textures. In gmax you could simply select a material from the material editor, apply it to all faces that use the texture, and delete the unused materials. Unfortunately it appears you loose your mapping when you do that in Sketchup unless someone knows a way around it.

You can do two things:

1. From the material editor choose "in model" and select a material corresponding to a particular .psd. Click each face with the bucket tool that uses that particular .psd. Do this for each .psd. When finished you should be able to choose "Window > model info" from the menu and hit "purge unused" which should clear all but the three materials from the "in model" list. Unfortunately it looks like you'll have to remap everything using this option.

2. Export the model to .dae and use MCX to consolidate down to only 3 materials. This approach will preserve your mapping. Export as .mdl from MCX when finished.

Jim

I've been doing option #1 from the start, this is why I'm confused as to what happened?

Here's the breakdown from Model Info.

No copy and paste from the model info dialogue. I'll type it.

Edges----------------- 3673
Faces----------------- 1197
Component Instances-- 1
Guides---------------- 47
Guide Points---------- 16
Groups---------------- 0
Images---------------- 3
3D Poly Lines---------- 0
Section Planes-------- 0
Dimensions------------ 0
Text------------------ 0
Component Definitions- 1
Layers---------------- 2
Materials------------- 14
Styles---------------- 1

Last edited:
Country
spain
Sorry, I said you can't use paint bucket but it's seem it's the only way, follow what JRobinson said, I think is the way, it's important you create a kind of texture sheet to could work with night texture afterwards.
Material=12, this is the really worring matter