• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Textures showing shaded

Country
unitedstates
Hello all, I cannot seem to explain why my textures are showing like this. The shaded textures do not accept any form of light regardless of azimuth or time of day. Very strange.

Q7hLsLQ.png

fhQYUAG.png
4jqnIw7.png

Is that in sim as well or only in MCX?

I would turn on the rendering of the normal to check if that is pointing in the direction you expect. As Dom246 suggests it might be the normal is flipped.

Is there a reason why you are using a bump map and a normal map (for the same texture)? Try removing the bump map being used).

The bump map and normal map are just two names for the same map. If you have the material type set to All both will show if you select a specific sim only one is shown.

Arno,
Like you were asking before does it appear in both the Sim and MCX like this? I also noticed the field, "Is PBR Material* is set to False. Would MCX only use the bump map then (the.viewer in MCX and also the Sim)?

Doug,

In the internal material structure the BumpTexture and NormalTexture are the same variable. I have only decided to have both names in the material editor to make sure the names match the ones used in the SDK of the specific sim as good as possible. So if you set a normal texture, you also set a bump texture and vice versa.

The different exporters and the preview will use the bump/normal map when it has been set. They will never use it twice, as it is the same data.

I don't think this rendering issue is related to the bump map, more likely to be the normal of the face.

Have you tried flipping the normal for that plane?
Thank you for your response. How do I flip the normal?

Is that in sim as well or only in MCX?

I would turn on the rendering of the normal to check if that is pointing in the direction you expect. As Dom246 suggests it might be the normal is flipped.
This is in the sim as well. Seems as if the X,Y coordinates were reversed, hence why the sun shines vice versa on the polygons.

sXBCTD2.png
3q3yY1r.png

Which tool did you use to model this jetway? Manipulation of the normals has to be done in the modelling tool normally.

In the MCX special tools menu you find an option to flip polygons with an inverse normal. Sometimes that helps to fix it, but no guarantee :)

Back