• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Traffic falls through bridge

Messages
1,268
Country
us-hawaii
I have an extrusion bridge, actually two segments. (I don't know if there is some limit, but if I did the bridge as a single unit it draws the bridge deck but no support pylons. I had to split the span into two extrusions to get the supports.) Any way, I have a single (in each way) traffic line, but when the traffic in one direction reaches the joint between the two bridges, about half falls through the "crack". I assume this has to two with two side-by-side or slightly overlapping hard platforms. Anyone ever encounter this sort of thing? I've tried playing with the elevation of the bridge points but so far that hasn't fixed it.

scott s.
.
 
Hmm Have a look at the area in Tmf viewer, it's likely that the area fall on a QMID boundary?

In that case, the issue that caused the extrusion bridge problem may also be affecting the freeway traffic? Try splitting the freeway traffic similar to the bridge?
 
I have an extrusion bridge, actually two segments. (I don't know if there is some limit, but if I did the bridge as a single unit it draws the bridge deck but no support pylons. I had to split the span into two extrusions to get the supports.) Any way, I have a single (in each way) traffic line, but when the traffic in one direction reaches the joint between the two bridges, about half falls through the "crack". I assume this has to two with two side-by-side or slightly overlapping hard platforms. Anyone ever encounter this sort of thing? I've tried playing with the elevation of the bridge points but so far that hasn't fixed it.

scott s.
.

Regarding the pylon issue - how many verts were in the original extrusion bridge? FSX bridge pylons only fall at the vertices of the extrusion bridge.

Regarding the traffic issue - the platforms in the bridge surface (if the extrusion profile is authored to have them) are placed into a list that is queried (along with the terrain) for elevation to establish elevations along FreewayTraffic vectors. We have encountered what you are seeing (vehicles diving off the bridge, then jumping back) where FreewayTraffic vectors go off the sides of the platforms, then back on. If there is a gap between the two platforms I would expect this. I would not expect a problem due to two platforms (with the same elevation) overlapping.

-Doug
 
Doug --
thanks for the reply. I will go back and look at my data. since I was having problems I eventually decided to bite the bullet and work on some associated shorelines which with improved accuracy allowed the extrusion bridge to be shorter, allowing it to be done with a single bridge.

I did note that I was having elevation problems. On one end, the bridge deck was floating about 2 meters above the pylons at the end which was intended to meed/join the second part of the bridge. It appeared that the hard platform was at the pylon elevation, so all you would see was the top half of the vehicle "on" the bridge deck. I would guess about 50-75% of the vehicles would make the jump between bridges, and the remaining would drop down to the water and follow under the bridge. Adjusting the elevation of final points didn't help. Note that I was still using my initial two points for the altitudeSampleLocations, so that the bridge end (after shortening to get the pylons to draw) was a couple km from the sample location. I will put together some good data on the bridge and post.

scott s.
.
 
Back
Top