• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Transparency

Country
ukraine
When I export my texture from 3ds into .X and into MCX, it can't identify my Alpha Channel. While in 3ds it shows just fine, after exporting via MCX using GP Wizard I get white edges. I've tried setting the material properties in MCX to srcalpha or something and still it doesnt work. Seeking your help, guys!

Texture is a .DDS saved through nvidia dds plugin with DXT5 interpolated alpha + mip maps

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 301

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

What format or type of file is the texture in prior to converting It? And where are you converting It (MCX or elsewhere)?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I don't think so... before it's a dds what was It? It makes a big difference what it was prior and the very reason why you are not getting the desired effect in the end. So, what format is it in 3ds max ( ex. png, jpg, psd or tif)? If you have it as a jpg it will not have a alpha channel.

So what is it before getting converted to dds and where is it getting converted? If it is starting out as a dds, how do you know it has an alpha channel? Is it possible to share this texture here?

Country
ukraine
I don't think so... before it's a dds what was It? It makes a big difference what it was prior and the very reason why you are not getting the desired effect in the end. So, what format is it in 3ds max ( ex. png, jpg, psd or tif)? If you have it as a jpg it will not have a alpha channel.

So what is it before getting converted to dds and where is it getting converted? If it is starting out as a dds, how do you know it has a alpha channel? Is it possible to share this texture here?

It’s DDS from the very beginning, same in 3ds max. It has an alpha channel because I’ve created it myself.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Sounds like it's not being created properly then... at least from what you have described.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
2 things come to mind... Does 3ds Max flip the textures vertically when converting to dds? The 2nd thing: After bringing it into MCX did you tell MCX that there is transparency? To do so,... you need to go into the Material Editor and select the texture in question... then "Set Default Transparent" (from the top selector - which will start out as "add Night Texture") and see if the viewer updates with the texture having transparency.

Country
ukraine
2 things come to mind... Does 3ds Max flip the textures vertically when converting to dds? The 2nd thing: After bringing it into MCX did you tell MCX that there is transparency? To do so,... you need to go into the Material Editor and select the texture in question... then "Set Default Transparent" (from the top selector - which will start out as "add Night Texture") and see if the viewer updates with the texture having transparency.
Yep it flips it all just right. I’ll give it a go with the material editor.

Country
ukraine

All good in MCX, but yet no alpha in sim.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 258
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 242

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Did you resave the texture after you did the transparency within MCX?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
First... within the Alpha Channel in your picture... where the white is - it will be visible. The black defines where it will be transparent. It would be best for this texture, be saved in dds format DXT1 - 1 bit alpha ( black or white - no grayscale).

What FS is this for?

Country
ukraine
First... within the Alpha Channel in your picture... where the white is - it will be visible. The black defines where it will be transparent. It would be best for this texture, be saved in dds format DXT1 - 1 bit alpha ( black or white - no grayscale).

What FS is this for?

P3D v4.4. Yeah i'm quite acquainted with alphas and DDS, been working for 3 years with those now :) kk i'll try DXT1 also

Country
ukraine

What FS is this for?

DXT1. Now it's black. Interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 255
Country
ukraine
I`ve literally tried any format I can possibly convert to from DXT1 to DXT5 interpolated alpha but in vain, I`m just stuck with such a daft issue

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Sorry for the delay...

Looking at the image of your texture, the Alpha Channel isn't matching up to what needs to be visible. The colored lines (in the RGB) should have white underneath within the alpha channel and everywhere else that is.black should be transparent. Also, can you confirm that 3ds Max is flipping vertically when creating the dds file?

Since you said this was for P3D v4.4, are you using the v4.3 SDK for the groundpoly?

Country
ukraine
Hello...

Sorry for the delay...

Looking at the image of your texture, the Alpha Channel isn't matching up to what needs to be visible. The colored lines (in the RGB) should have white underneath within the alpha channel and everywhere else that is.black should be transparent. Also, can you confirm that 3ds Max is flipping vertically when creating the dds file?

Since you said this was for P3D v4.4, are you using the v4.3 SDK for the groundpoly?

It doesn’t really make any difference whether it’s flipped or not, the texture will have same layout despite its orientation. White is just below the texture that needs to be visible, black covers everything that needs to be hidden. Yes I’m using latest SDK for this purposes, I’ve already exported some other lines and those worked perfectly for me, and this just refuses to do so.