• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Tree textures

Country
switzerland
Hi,

I've "converted" a FS9 scenery to FSX and everything is nicely except the trees.
They have black boxes around them, is there any way to get rid of them, maybe with dxtbmp and photoshop?

Opening a bgl with the trees is not gonna happen as the airport is all in one bgl.
fZhjJCi.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You need to convert them into fsx mdl files with the right material settings. Else the transparency will not show.

Country
switzerland
That means in other words I would need to do that in ther BGL where the trees are in. Now I just have the problem that the whole airport object are in one BGL and I cant open them in modelconverterx, is there any other way in doing this?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Why does it not open in modelconverterx, do you get an error?

Another option would be to exclude the existing trees and place new ones.

Country
switzerland
Failures include: Unknown BGL opcode AA at position 10, Unsupported command,
the triangulation failed some polygons might be missing

I can send you the whole scenery folder if you want to take a look at it

Country
us-washington
Hewe- Looks like some step by step help is needed. Cool! What versiondo you have of MCX (modelconverterX)? I suggest the often updated one (latest and greatest).
1. Open MCX
2. navigate to the library your trees are in.
3. let it load.
4. Let's say you have 10 trees in this library.
5. #1 tree is showing. looks ok doesn't it? Not so. the version we are using does not show the black squares for some reason. We have to change it ANYWAY even though it shows ok.
6. hover your mouse over the icons above until you see one that reads material editor (hovering a bit lets a hlep note show up)
7. click on that icon
8. on the left click directly on the texture you see.
9. Now- at the top of this little window yo see a skinny rectangle - it probably says - set night texture - or something like that. See the little 'down arrowhead' next to that? I call that a fly-out arrow because you click it and amenu opens or flys out. click on it.
10. click on 'set default transparent'.
11. Now click on the word.... 'Apply'.
12. X out of this window and go to your next tree and repeat the above process.
13. When done with all the trees, click on EXPORT SCENERY - it should be the same name of the library you have open. In the nav window double check just to make sure.
14. click on 'save' You are asked to overwrite is this ok. say yes.
YOU'RE DONE! go back to your scenery. If your library is in your active scenery sub-folder you should see wonderful trees.
I've done this countless times. Leave a note here to let us know how it turned out. Bob (aka jyarddog)