• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Updated SketchUp won't work

Country
us-michigan
Looking for the best option for my situation. SketchUp 17 won't run because of my graphics driver. Because my older version of SketchUp dropped the Geolocator option I now have to upgrade. I have done what it tells me to do, which is to download the newest driver from Intel. I have done so, unzipped the file and tried to run setup. The computer won't let me. I'm not at my computer now, so I can't give any specs on it. It is a Toshiba laptop bought at Best Buy, 'not my decision'. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello,...

All versions of SketchUp (including SketchUp 2017) don't run the Geo-Location,... the only versions of SketchUp that runs the Geo-Location is the Pro version of,...

What version of SketchUp did you have before?

Depending on your OS,... such as Windows XP and Vista,... the highest SketchUp version is SketchUp 2014,... If you were using 2014,... the link to download is:

https://forums.sketchup.com/clicks/track?url=http://dl.trimble.com/sketchup/2014/en/SketchUpMake-2014-1-1282-61130-en.exe&post_id=32378&topic_id=11472

Trimble doesn't guarantee that this link will be available forever... So you want to make sure you have a backup of it, ASAP!

The only versions available (other than the link to 2014) to download: SketchUp 2016 and 2015 that goes for both 32-bit and 64 bit. So,... SketchUp 2017 is only for Windows 10, 8, 7, 64-bit and the newer MAC versions..

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
If you post the Toshiba laptop model number, we can help determine whether it has a graphics chip-set for which drivers can be updated to the newer OpenGL version used by Sketchup.

BUT... before you buy an expensive upgrade to Sketchup, please read the following ! :twocents:

Sketchup version 8 (32-Bit) continues to be the fastest working release still supported by the largest set of plugin Ruby scripts, and which is adequate for use with all but extremely large 3D models (...which may be too complex for use in FS anyway :pushpin:), while also continuing to support most older graphics chip-sets via an earlier version of OpenGL.

And, Sketchup version 8 is the only version allowed to be used for commercial purposes without special licensing fees. :alert:

FYI: Those wishing to use a newer and/or 64-bit Sketchup NON-PRO version can still utilize imported geo-located aerial imagery from external sources via various "work-arounds" (...one of which is detailed below).:idea:

NOTE: IMHO, Aerial imagery sources now used by Sketchup no longer provide the prior consistent quality of Google Maps / Earth.

Thus, the recently compelled innovation of various "work-arounds" may actually result in an enhanced quality of the aerial imagery that one is using in Sketchup without paying for an upgrade to the Pro version just to get IMHO, 'inferior' quality aerial imagery background images. :p

BTW: Maps and/or aerial imagery displayed in most online Satellite imagery map viewers are typically in a non-distorted display format (aka "Spherical Web Mercator / WGS84" projection), and can be directly used for 'background' images in SBuilder, ADE, Sketchup etc., as well as for texturing "flat" 3D Ground Polygons (aka "G-Polys").

CAVEAT: Such web tile server / map viewer satellite imagery should NOT be used for source files submitted directly to Resample as terrain land class textures without first re-projecting such imagery to Geographic (Lat-Lon) / WGS84 GIS format.

Such imagery should also NOT be commercially distributed without permission from the imagery licensor. :alert:

Also, be aware that such tiles of "UTM-type," / 'Mercator' projected web tile server / map viewer satellite imagery are not accurate for Geographic coordinate positioning for points located outside a 1-Kilometer distance from the Sketchup "Origin of Axes".

Work-around:

To use any Sketchup 8 version to Geo-locate 3D models / import aerial imagery 'background' images: :coffee:

Google Earth (aka "GE"): < uses stand-alone desktop application >:

1.) Set user eye-point camera in top-down view:

2.) Log geographic coordinates for a corner of a building

3.) Take measurements for the longest dimension of the building end-to-end

4.) File > Save > Save image (save a *.JPG file to disk)

Sketchup (version 8-M3 or newer):

1.) Sketchup Menu > Camera > Parallel View

2.) Sketchup Menu > Camera > Standard Views > Top

3.) Sketchup Menu > Windows > Model Info > Geolocation > click [Set Manual Location...] button

a.) In [Set Manual Location...] dialog, enter logged Google info; fill in every dialog box field

4.) In Sketchup work-space, position Rectangle Tool at "Origin of Axes"

a.) Draw a face on the ground with the Rectangle Tool; set the longest building side dimension to match the end-to-end size in Google Earth

5.) Sketchup Menu > File Import > 'tick' "Use Image As..." Texture; 'select' {filename.JPG} and click [Import] button

a.) Left Mouse click to apply the imported texture image onto the lower Left corner of the rectangular face within the context of that 'grouped' object

b.) Left Mouse 'click-hold' / drag to upper right to map image at proper end-to-end size ...as a "Material"

6.) Left Mouse click to 'Select' on-ground Face mapped with aerial imagery 'Material'

a.) Right Mouse click > Context Menu > Texture > Position

(1) Align texture image of lower Left building roof-top corner over same exact position on 3D model

(2) Set Red pin on lower Left building roof-top corner

(3) Set Green pin on lower Right building roof-top corner; drag pin to position 'Material' for proper end-to-end size matching Google Earth

(4) Set Blue pin on upper Left building roof-top corner; drag pin to position 'Material' for proper Height / Left vertical alignment

(5) Set Yellow pin on upper Right building roof-top corner; drag pin to position 'Material' for proper Top / Right vertical alignment

(6) Right Mouse click > Context Menu > Done

(7) Left Mouse double-click to 'Select' on-ground Face mapped with aerial imagery 'Material' and all its Edges

(8) Right Mouse click > Context Menu > Make Group

(9) Right Mouse click > Context Menu > Lock

You should now have a properly Geo-located aerial imagery background; this may be traced over to create a Face that can then be 'extruded' into a 3D model "primitive" in Sketchup. :pushpin:

Additional options include use of the "Historical Imagery" (clock icon) in Google Earth to view different dates of aerial imagery which may be better than the current default displayed.

Also, one may import aerial imagery downloaded / screen-captured in a non-distorted display format from various web map tile servers besides Google Maps / Google Earth via web pages and/or GIS applications to access and utilize other sources for better imagery of various project locations. ;)

PS: Google Earth "Street View" imagery may also be saved as *.JPG files for import into Sketchup as 'textures', which when mapped onto a vertical Face of a 3D model, are regarded as "Materials".

Let us know if you require additional help with implementing this work-around. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-michigan
I have version 14 of SketchUp. It works fine, but in June the geo location is not available anymore. So I have to do all that to have a scale site? That sucks. Might as well us SBuilderX or ADE.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Placemaker is incredibly secure with their proprietary data, but what I have seen of their imagery is not suitable for 3d modelling, so ultimately you'd have to use external sources for that. It seems like Google so well filled a void, that no one has yet stepped up to fill it. Isn't it $200/yearly renewal? And Getty charges about $525 US for each of their high quality images. All that to save a few of the steps Gary so graciously outlined. Now someone be a real sport and compile that procedure into a Ruby script, tia.

Country
us-michigan
And another thing, it looks like they did away with add photo texture as well. How am I supposed to model places I can't visit? I guess I'm out of the designing business.

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

IIUC, you refer to Sketchup opening / capturing "Street View" images at a location of- / oriented to- a 'selected' 3D vertical face ? :scratchch

A work around for this is also available in any version of Sketchup, via Google Earth / Maps "Street View" ...if you are still interested. ;)

In Google Maps online browser version, additional options now also include use of the "Historical Imagery" (clock icon) to view different dates of "Street View" imagery which may be better than the current default displayed.

BTW
: I may have yet another simpler (free) work-around for Sketchup's draped aerial imagery "Geo-location" feature very soon. :)

PS
: Those with an interest in expanding their options for use of Google aerial imagery and Street View imagery in Sketchup, may wish to install "FireShot" browser extension: :idea:

http://getfireshot.com

GaryGB

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
And another thing, it looks like they did away with add photo texture as well. How am I supposed to model places I can't visit? I guess I'm out of the designing business.

It's possible using textures that are or close to the material used in the real world... using Google Earth as a guide.

Don't blame Google for this.... it was known by Trimble when they bought SketchUp,... Trimble didn't keep it's users in the loop...

Country
us-michigan
Yes, I figured that I could still use Street view, but it's just extra work and more files. Hoping there's a better solution down the road. I've been looking at options on YouTube.

Country
us-illinois
Indeed, FS development can be complex, and any features that minimize the workflow would certainly be sorely missed. :)

But sometimes one also has to take a break from the complexity of FS, especially after a long winter of development activities! ;)

Have a happy 4th of July holiday ! :cool:

GaryGB

Country
us-texas
This is my workaround, which is not a workaround as I have been doing this for a while because the google images imported by SKU were crap to begin with!!

Use the default geolocation tool with Street Map or whatever that map is. Chose the location you need, and make sure it has good references in it such as streets, runways, lakes.....This will create a texture file. Right click the texture and chose edit texture image.....this should fire up your image editor, in my case PS6, and your map is loaded.

First thing I do, enlarge image by 100%, this will help increase resolution. Now go to Google maps and take a screengrab of the location that approximately matches your map......now here comes the magic............. overlay it on your map texture!! Make the screengrab layer semi-transparent and do a best fit over existing map using editing tools, merge layers and save (make sure to set screengrab layer to full opaque before saving).

Now you have a really good resolution image to work over. Remember that the scale of the model may need some adjustment once you are done. I use Instant Scenery 3 to load the models into the scenery, which makes the scaling step a breeze!!

This generally takes me 1-2 minutes....well worth it for the increased ground resolution.

Good luck!
David

Country
us-michigan
Do you have the pro version? Doesn't work for me. Oh, well. I just have been going to Google Earth. Using the measuring tool for a well defined roof line. Keeping the measuring tool up so i don't have to write down the measurement and keeping the line i drew on the roof, I print screen. In SketchUp I import the picture I saved. Use the axis tool for the right angle of the line I drew. Draw a line the length the the roof measurement. Then resize my imported picture the closest I can to that line length I drew.

Country
us-illinois
GaryGB, any luck with a work around? I've been searching everywhere with no luck.

Hello:

I have a working proof-of-concept that should be sufficiently well vetted to write up and release by early next week.

It has not been committed into the format of a plugin Ruby script at this time, and I will be releasing it here in this thread first as as a freely accessible written step-by-step guide.

It will utilize a 3rd party freeware plugin Ruby script, however, for part of its functionality; this may also open the door to utilizing additional raster and vector data types from Google and/or other GIS sources within Sketchup. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Do you have the pro version? Doesn't work for me. Oh, well. I just have been going to Google Earth. Using the measuring tool for a well defined roof line. Keeping the measuring tool up so i don't have to write down the measurement and keeping the line i drew on the roof, I print screen. In SketchUp I import the picture I saved. Use the axis tool for the right angle of the line I drew. Draw a line the length the the roof measurement. Then resize my imported picture the closest I can to that line length I drew.

No, mine is not the pro version. You dont need to measure anything.

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/updated-sketchup-wont-work.440430/#post-777196

GaryGB, any luck with a work around? I've been searching everywhere with no luck.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/updated-sketchup-wont-work.440430/#post-777374

Hello:

I have a working proof-of-concept that should be sufficiently well vetted to write up and release by early next week.

It has not been committed into the format of a plugin Ruby script at this time, and I will be releasing it here in this thread first as as a freely accessible written step-by-step guide.

It will utilize a 3rd party freeware plugin Ruby script, however, for part of its functionality; this may also open the door to utilizing additional raster and vector data types from Google and/or other GIS sources within Sketchup. :)

GaryGB

Alternative ("simplified") Work-around

To use any Sketchup 8 version to Geo-locate imported aerial imagery 'background' images. :coffee:

Google Earth (aka "GE"): < uses stand-alone desktop application, either 'basic' or Pro version >:

https://www.google.com/earth/versions/#earth-pro

1.) Set user eye-point camera in top-down view

2.) GE Icon Bar > Add Path < 'Google Earth - New Path' dialog appears >

CAVEAT: The very first vertex point created in the Path will be automatically used for Geo-locating the scene in Sketchup via the KML file

a.) Enter desired object name; drag window title bar for that dialog down out of view at bottom of screen; DO NOT PRESS 'ENTER' KEY !

b.) Left-Click to set a vertex point at each of 3 corners for a building to create a "L-shaped" path vector poly-line along adjacent sides of the building

FYI: One may alternatively continue to set vertex points for other buildings in a scene up to (1) Kilometer away from the very first vertex point

c.) Drag window title bar for that dialog up into view from bottom of screen

d.) Click [OK] button

3.) With GE Menu > View > Sidebar 'checked', in stack of layers (near bottom above 'Temporary Places'), find your new 'Path' object

a.) Left-click to select 'Path' object, then Right-click and choose "Save Place As..." < 'Save File' dialog appears >

b.) Verify desired filename; set output folder path; set "Save As Type": to KML (*.KML); click [Save] button

In Sketchup (version 8-M3):

Install KML Tools by Aerilius and Loader for Rotated Rectangle, Circle & Box by Michaelv ...cited here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ruby-tuesday-2017-08-01.440684/

DO NOT ATTEMPT INSTALLING / USING THIS PLUGIN ON LATER VERSIONS OF SKETCHUP.

NOTE: For related info on installing Sketchup version 8 (M3) and plugin Ruby scripts, refer to this thread:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ruby-tuesday-2017-03-14.439657/

Work-flow:

1.) Sketchup Menu > Camera > Parallel View

2.) Sketchup Menu > Camera > Standard Views > Top

3.) Sketchup Menu > Plugins > KML Tools > Import KML File < 'Import KML File' dialog opens >

a.) Browse to folder path of GE 'Path' vector poly-line KML file just saved above

b.) Double-click GE 'Path' vector poly-line KML file just saved above to select and import to Sketchup

4.) Sketchup Icon Bar > 3-Point 'Rotated' Rectangle Tool

a.) Draw a true rectangle Face over the imported 'GE Path' vector object vertex points

b.) Delete the imported 'GE Path' vector object

5.) Sketchup Menu > File Import > 'tick' "Use Image As..." Texture; 'select' {filename.JPG} and click [Import] button

a.) Left Mouse click to apply the imported texture image onto the lower Left corner of the rectangular face within the context of that 'grouped' object

b.) Left Mouse 'click-hold' / drag to upper right to map image at proper end-to-end size ...as a "Material"

6.) Left Mouse click to 'Select' on-ground Face mapped with aerial imagery 'Material'

a.) Right Mouse click > Context Menu > Texture > Position

(1) Align texture image of lower Left building roof-top corner over same exact position on 3D model

(2) Set Red pin on lower Left building roof-top corner

(3) Set Green pin on lower Right building roof-top corner

NOTE: Drag Green pin to position 'Material' for proper end-to-end size matching Google Earth

(4) Set Blue pin on upper Left building roof-top corner; drag pin to position 'Material' for proper Height / Left vertical alignment

(5) Set Yellow pin on upper Right building roof-top corner; drag pin to position 'Material' for proper Top / Right vertical alignment

(6) Right Mouse click > Context Menu > Done

(7) Left Mouse double-click to 'Select' on-ground Face mapped with aerial imagery 'Material' and all its Edges

(8) Right Mouse click > Context Menu > Make Group

(9) Right Mouse click > Context Menu > Lock

You should now have a properly Geo-located aerial imagery background; this Face may be selected and 'extruded' into a 3D model "primitive" in Sketchup. :pushpin:

BTW: The very first vertex point of the first imported GE 'Path' KML vector object automatically Geo-locates a 3D model during import. :wizard:

< NOTE: newer versions of Sketchup can import Sketchup version-8 *.SKP or *.KMZ output files. ;)>

Hope this alternative ('somewhat' simplified) work-flow helps with implementing an easier work-around. :)

GaryGB

Last edited: