P3D v4 used gas

=rk=

Resource contributor
Ah. No procedures I know of. That looks pretty good already. Maybe, if you wanted, you could copy that layer, hit it with the smudge tool and then use the layer opacity slider to fade each in and out against the other. There's an incredible variety of brushes available, you could try one in the smudge tool for a layer.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Doesn't need to. Copy the file entirely, save it. Work with your duplicate, in fact, copy that one layer, start a new file and when you are happy with it, add it back in ot your paint kit file. Photoshop layers are very versatile, you can think of them as individual images that are stacked translucently.

I like to do that by using the brush tool and then a lot of try and error with the smudgetool (to bring the dot into the "cone" form and maybe stretch it out), blurtool (to hide the sharp edges/color changes) and erasertool (putting the erasertool opacity down to about 2-5% and starting to do the fade effect around the edges). However there are tons of different methods to do that, this is just mine :)