• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Using Multiple Gamepacks

Country
us-california
I know that you can set up 3DS Max to start via shortcut to use a specific gamepack in order to export to FSX or various versions of P3D. What I don't know is how to set that up. Could someone please enlighten me as to how that is done?

Edit: In looking at the SDK it would seem to have what I need. Still, any hints are welcome.

Last edited:
Country
us-california
For years I have had Max9 working with the FSX SDK tools. I also need to be able to use the P3D SDK tools. That's where I'm having trouble...

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
3ds Max doesn't support gamepacks the way GMax does. No shortcut, only .ini file entries.

The only way is to try exporting the model in .x file format and then running it through the P3D flavors of XToMDL to get compliant model files.

Country
us-illinois
I believe you can have as many versions of the P3D plugins installed as you want...The only problem is that you'll end up with multiple menu items of the same name, "Aces Tools" (likely from within the Maxscript file itself) so you'll have to find out how to rename them as something discernable to yourself.

And Bjoern is correct about not being able to launch Max through a gamepack shortcut. I mean, there might be a way but it really wouldn't have any benefit when you can access multiple plugin paths within the same Max window.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You need all versions of the P3D SDK but only need to use the plugins folder for the latest version. The export from Max to .X is done in the latest version and then the X file is compiled with the version you wish to generate a model for and version 1.4 takes care of FSX. Unfortunately for N2056 Max 9 is no longer supported in version 4.

Country
us-arizona
To export from 'Max' with the system you want, you go to;
* Customize / Configure System Paths / 3rd Party Plugins / and create a link and direct it to your SDK Plugins folder of choice.
* Export (to X format) and remember to convert them to what version of XtoMDL you wish to use. V2 to V2 for V2; V3 to V3 for V3, etc.
* To export to a different sim version, go back to '3rd Party Plugins' and redirect your link to a new Plugins folder. (That easy).
* If you get a lot of limit hits from Materials 64K limitation, you can export with V2, convert with V3, open the file with MCX140 and reexport it back, it will then work in FSX, FSX Steam, V1, V2, V3, and V4. Then you do not have to worry about the various versions to export in.

orgiwpreogi.JPG

NOTE: P3D V1 can export pure FSX models. Either V2 or V3 no longer works in FSX, so you need to export from X to MDL via V1.

NOTE2: V3 and V4 have new 'Materials' entries. I do not know what they are, but they keep the planes from showing up in former versions of P3D and FSX.

NOTE3: For BAT file conversion triggers, I have one per plugin folder of the versions I use, each BAT setup for that folder system. I drop the X files into that plugin folder, click the BAT, wait, then drop the new MDL files into their aircraft folders. (Be careful as the MDL files are hot from processing. Wait to let them cool 2 minutes or use gloves). I re-export from MCX140 (if you do that procedure) right from the aircrafts 'model' folder, so there is no mixing up of what goes where, etc, etc.

About the only thing I have seen that is really cool for V4 is the moving map light. If you want to do that, I can see why and its simple enough to do, to reset your Max to export from the V4 plugins folder.

And thats about it. I hope I didnt miss anything.

It would be nice if we had a 'ultra exporter' where it would have 'selectors' that say 'export this to V1? V2? V3? V4? and you select it and it spits out a MDL file instead of a X file. That would be cool. Also if it made a set of all 4 versions (if you wanted that). Now that would be one awesome, hot exporter. Perhaps even have an option to export the MDL to the location of your choice, so your V1 file would go to the plane in V1, your V4 file would export directly to the V4 location, etc, etc...