• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Using your own imagery in sketchup?

FE9AF135-8301-4685-86C0-99FF27B0DC52.jpeg
Hello everyone,

I’m wanting to know if it’s possible to import my own imagery that I’ve got into sketchup and to use that instead of geo location? The difficulty im having is how you would do it and how you would get the sizes right? You can see above the imagery I have. Just want to be able to get that into sketchup and draw buildings over it, but get the correct size of the buildings etc, If that makes sense.

Cheers.

It is absolutely possible, however you will quickly learn that exact placement is pretty much a mathematical impossibility. This starts with the fact that no image is recorded from a vantage that is exactly tangential to the portion of the Earth's surface under examination and is then compounded by the fact that a second placement image is recorded from a different vantage point. So, while it is possible that all your building footprints will approximately align, more or less, the spires of the tallest buildings will be pointing, or "leaning," different directions. This lean can become confusing in dense population areas, with clouds, foliage, other leaning structures and photographic errors adding to the noise. With that said and if you are willing to proceed, the basic technique is simple. It has become a pretty standard procedure for me since access to quality imagery has been limited.
First get your basic georeferencing image, obviously. It can be helpful to edit this image to highlight roads, intersections, building edges and prominences so they are easier to align to. You can so the same thing with your final image and just save an unedited copy to swap out when completed. If you are working with Photoshop, you can add all these edits as layers and import this texture directly into Sketchup, which is extremely useful for reducing opacity on one of the images, so you can actually see your guide lines align. With your georeferenced image in your SU workspace, simply copy/paste it, hide it (one of them), unlock it, delete the texture, project your new texture into place and before unhiding the original, move the new one slightly vertically to facilitate selecting one or the other. Now go ahead and shift, size and skew your new texture until it comes as close as is practical to matching the georeferenced one. I think you can probably take it from there.

As Rick mentioned, the larger the image, the more error you will build into it. Working on an area as large as a whole airport will not yield good results. Instead....try to group buildings and objects into smaller areas at a time.

For the picture references above, I'd split into the areas shown below (just as a reference):
zones.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If you make sure the imagery matches the FS2004 style flat earth coordinates, like people do in gmax, I see no problems with it.

Indeed, one must use a 'non-warped', properly "projected" aerial imagery background image when 3D modeling.

FYI: For purposes of 3D modeling over an aerial imagery backgrouind, Rhumbaflappy has alluded to a distinction between the 'non-warped' and ready-to-use "projection" of a Windows screen capture from a Google Earth task session window, versus that 'warped' and NOT ready-to-use "projection" derived as a discrete file 'output' by Google Earth:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/google-earth-projection-wgs.20880/post-138345

Assuming one is making scenery for personal use only, and which will not be distributed to the public, only the most current Sketchup version has a functioning "Add Location" / "Geo-location" feature to download / import 'non-warped' aerial imagery into a project.

NOTE: This is only rarely of the same quality as that previously available before Sketchup was sold to Trimble by Google. :alert:

"Add Location" / "Geo-location" can be used in conjunction with a plugin Ruby script to import aerial imagery from sources outside Sketchup:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sketchup-add-location-work-around.441200/post-782754

For those who intend to make scenery which will be distributed to the public, Sketchup version-8 can be used without the requirement of additional licensure and associated fees.

This thread discusses that issue, and offers a manual "Add Location" / "Geo-location" work-around (not yet available in a plugin Ruby script):

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/updated-sketchup-wont-work.440430/

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Assuming one is making scenery for personal use only, and which will not be distributed to the public, only the most current Sketchup version has a functioning "Geo-location" feature to download / import 'non-warped' aerial imagery into a project.

NOTE: This is only rarely of the same quality as that previously available before Sketchup was sold to Trimble by Google. :alert:

GaryGB
Wasn't geolocation removed? Did they add it back?

Wasn't geolocation removed? Did they add it back?
Hi David:

I should properly use Sketchup's feature terminology: "Add Location"; I will consider edits to my existing posts using "Geo-location" at a later time. ;)

FYI: You may wish to review the Sketchup 2018 Release notes under "Miscellaneous": :idea:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/141303

"Improved terrain resolution for Add Location. Previously the grid for terrain was smaller than expected. It should now work the way it did which allowed up to 2500 points in the terrain mesh."

PS: Here's a long agonizing discussion on the changes to this feature imposed by Google and Trimble back in 2017: :banghead:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/upcoming-change-to-add-location/40953

GaryGB

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
It wasn't imposed... by Google,... upon the sale of Sketchup to Trimble.... this was happening because Google didn't what another company using their maps... Trimble knew about at the time of the sale... but did nothing in telling their users until 3 months prior of maps being gone....

Of course... why would a company tell their users that their could be a problem...

For That matter why would a company allow another company use their information....

My 2 cents worth.... :)

I remember there being some discussion about "some" geo-location capability on the Pro-version, but some users complained about the resolution and area coverage, so I never got to it. Good that they are at least trying to revert back some functionality.