• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 V2.5 Flickering Glass...?

Country
us-illinois
Has anyone else had the issue of their glass material incessantly flickering in the sim? I've tried all different material settings, then restarting from scratch with both the material and bitmap, and nothing seems to work. :confused: Then I thought that it must be a graphics driver issue, but the glass in every other aircraft seems to be fine. I've wasted about half of my day trying to figure out why this is happening...Any ideas?

Country
us-illinois
I thought has sprung into my head...Since whatever is being displayed on the other side of this "glass" Doesn't have a textured FSX material applied to it yet, maybe the draw order is getting messed up somewhere along the way...because between flickers I could see objects on the other side of the aircraft. I shall investigate further whenever I get home.

Country
us-illinois
Welp, it turns out that applying an FSX material to objects behind the glass does not solve any problems. :( What else could be causing this?

Country
germany
I have the same problem with the tower glass in my sceneries. They work with P3D V2.5 and V3.0 but the glass is flickering. Had not yet the time to make any further investigations, but did you try double sided material instead of two faces for inside and outside (which I used in my sceneries)?

Country
us-illinois
I have the same problem with the tower glass in my sceneries. They work with P3D V2.5 and V3.0 but the glass is flickering. Had not yet the time to make any further investigations, but did you try double sided material instead of two faces for inside and outside (which I used in my sceneries)?

I tried using the "Double Sided" option but to no avail (The exterior glass is only a single sided mesh.) I will keep trying different things...

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't personally own P3D, but I've read somewhere that Groundpolies in P3D need a special extra layer with a metrial or texture that stops flickering... Perhaps a similar thing is necesarry for windows?

Country
us-arizona
Mine flickered for a day and then went away, but only flickered on my newest plane. Now they are fine. I dont know what I did. Maybe the sim just healed itself.

I would post this in the forums at P3D in the V3 department. If towers are also doing this, then it might be a bug and they will have that updated soon.

Country
us-illinois
Mine flickered for a day and then went away, but only flickered on my newest plane. Now they are fine. I dont know what I did. Maybe the sim just healed itself.

I would post this in the forums at P3D in the V3 department. If towers are also doing this, then it might be a bug and they will have that updated soon.

I was just messing around with material settings on a test teapot and there were no issues with that...very strange. Also it seems as if the Blinn Opacity actually affects material transparency in the P3D now (or has FSX been doing this all along? I've never been able to set transparency in FSX using that setting...It always turned out as a solid color.)

Country
us-illinois
Alright, so in the end it DID turn out to be a non-compliant material on the other side of the glass. I created a new glass material with exactly the same settings as the SDK and applied 2 separate FSX materials to the exterior-interior model, since that part itself consisted of over 110,000 polys.

Tweaked it from there, and now all is good. :)