• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Warning: part information for rudder_key indicates that it is deprecated!?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I can't shake the nagging, somewhat tongue-in-cheek suspicion that if I knew the meaning of this message, I might be able to make my model work. I know I should be working on key frames and not definitions, but please bear with. I searched online and found the word, "depreciated" which is a financial term that names the concept of "reduced in, or loss of" value. I can see how that term might apply to my model because it doesn't do anything like I might expect and the implication is that I might have been better off devoting my time to more profitable pursuits; however, that implication is double edged in that the value that is depreciated from is known, otherwise the depreciation could not be registered. This, in turn, implies by extension (kind of a double implication, maybe like mortgage backed securities) that the "preciate" value could be restored. Any ideas?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Here's an image to support my assertion:

depricated.jpg

Whatever deprecation is, it can't be that bad, because rudder_key was the first animation that worked as intended, the rest following after due diligence. I could offer that when I animated the part in FSDS, it remained in the neutral position (in my case straight forward as it was the tow arm on a push-back tug), however when imported into MCX and compiled into a model, the arm remained tilted to the side, overextended in that direction and never went past neutral turning the other direction. To compensate, I simply rotated the model in FSDS the same degree in the opposite direction to make it work perfectly; perhaps that change is what MCX interprets as "deprecated."

GHD

Country
england
Deprecated means that it has been superseded by another function but it may still work.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
In this instance "deprecated" means that the command was slated for removal in the next version of the sim. A "warning" is just what it states. It is not an "error" yet...

Note that the new "modeldef.xml" command name is "rudder_percent_key" which uses the new (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT,percent) variable rather than the old (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION,gradians) variable.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
So, you're saying it won't work in P3D? Because that is kind of a problem...

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
So, you're saying it won't work in P3D? Because that is kind of a problem...
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. First, understand that "rudder_key" is nothing more nor less than a definition in the modeldef.xml file. As it happens, it is still present even in the Prepar3Dv2.2 SDK (and still marked as 'deprecated' to boot!):
Code:
    <PartInfo deprecated="true">
        <Name>rudder_key</Name>
        <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
        <Animation>
            <Parameter>
                <Sim>
                    <Variable>RUDDER DEFLECTION</Variable>
                    <Units>grads</Units>
                    <Bias>50</Bias>
                </Sim>
            </Parameter>
        </Animation>
    </PartInfo>

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Nice, thanks so much. I think I should familiarize myself with that modeldef.xml.