• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Water blend mask - Gradient issues

Hi all,

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm making a simply blend mask for PR water. The mask works... but shows this awful gradient. In TMFviewer, the gradient is perfectly smooth.
(ignore the red - testing purposes only)

PR_issue.jpg

Things I've tried:

- Tiff image compression, LZW and none
- BMP
- Increased compression quality in INF
- Disabled any graphical tweaks such as PTA/Reshade

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

IIUC, what we see in your screenshot is "banding" in the gradient steps of a 8-Bit gray-scale *.Tif Blend Mask.

That file format yields a smaller source data contribution to output BGL size, but in water areas may show 'banding' ...unless it is modified.

IIRC, the best method to minimize this 'banding' is to modify the 8-Bit gray-scale *.Tif Blend Mask by using a graphics application to apply Floyd-Steinberg dithering to a copy of the original, and using the resulting file instead of the original.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd–Steinberg_dithering

Alternatively, you may try a 24-Bit RGB Blend Mask format with- or without- applying Floyd-Steinberg dithering,

GaryGB

Last edited:

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi there,

how high did you go with the compression value? In my experience it needs to be at least 90 for PR water to avoid visible banding.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the replies. I've tried all these solutions but there is still visible banding. It seems this has always been an issue, if you look at default TNCM there is massive banding as well.. so I suppose it's a sim limitation.
The interesting thing is the SDK documentation shows an example where there's a perfectly smooth gradient. I tried to even replicate this and doesn't seem possible. Wonder how they managed that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_26.jpg
    Screenshot_26.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 211

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi again,

see my banding-free examples below. The first two screenshots show 10-m Sentinel2 imagery, upsampled to 5m (needs to be compiled at LOD14 anyway) and the third 1-m USGS imagery compiled at LOD16.

I'm not doing anything special with the blendmask. I select the desired outer extent with the lasso tool in Photoshop and then use a suitable feathering value, for water areas usually 40 to 200, prior to filling the blendmask.

I prefer to have both watermask and blendmask directly in my Photoshop tiff as Alpha1 and Alpha2 channels, respectively, though external masking files should work just as well. Obviously, the watermask is fully black.

CompressionQuality is set to 90 for PR areas with water.

Cheers, Holger

FSX water blendmasking - a.jpg
FSX water blendmasking - b.jpg
FSX water blendmasking - c.jpg

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
Hi guys,

What happens if I forget to make the masks from FS EARTH Tiles and I've worked hours on beautifying my future ground poly, Is there a work-around ?

Thanks.