• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 Way to increase tree density?

Messages
1,637
Country
unitedstates
So I have been messing with my own tree autogen creations and they are coming along nicely using P3D default autogen. One thing I wondered was if I wanted more density in certain areas, say certain areas of a forest or maybe a "clump" of trees, is there a setting, a number or something I can input. I would be processing using scenPROC but thought it was more of a general autogen question. Also, not talking about the maximum number of trees per tile here where one can change in the .cfg file.

Just want to add that I am using default GUID selections for tree groups (Forest Dry, etc.-etc). Not selecting individual trees if that makes a difference. Thought I read this somewhere but have not come across it.

thx,

Clutch
 
Last edited:
Are you using polygonal or rectangular vegetation for the autogen.

I ended up using rectangular vegetation to increase the density of my scrubs.
 
I use polygonal. Are you suggesting that if I add more polys it will increase the density? I have found that not the case so much but it sounds like now as I read this you are saying you layer lots of rectangle polys?

As an end result I am trying to increase the volume per poly sort of speak.
 
Last edited:
Just drawing more polygons indeed won't work, I think each polygon gets the same algorithm to place the trees, so they end up at the same location.

I ended up using a lot of rectangles in the end to get the density I wanted. I have written my experiences on my blog:

http://www.scenerydesign.org/2014/12/scrubs/
 
I have not tried this yet, but it ought to work. Try creating a new model that is a cluster of trees rather than a single tree. Then reference that model in the autogen instead. In theory, there should be no limit to how dense you can pack them.

You could avoid any visible repetition by making several different cluster models and referencing them in one autogen grouping.
 
Whoa... this is from a ways back. I think I found I could literally place one veg poly on top of another, use the same class or another an that would increase the density.
 
Back
Top