• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Where can I go to Download the Microsoft FSX-SE Other than the Steam Store

Hi,
I wanted to purchase the MS FSX SE. I had posted on the AVSIM forum where I could purchase or download it and someone posted a link called Steam. It doesn't appear that I can purchase it from Microsoft so I've purchased it from the Steam website. I had the understanding that Steam took over the FSX-SE product and so I purchased and downloaded the product from there. But there is one thing that I don't like about how this works. First of all, you have to create an account with Steam, and that was no problem. But when you purchase the product and click on the download to download the product, it first downloads some other exe, which is not the FSX-SE product but a Steam icon that is placed on the desktop. It also creates a folder named Steam on your computer. This icon is used to allow you to login to the Steam website and you login to your account and select the FSX-SE product and then it downloads the FSX-SE and installs it into the Steam folder. But in order to run the FSX-SE, you MUST be logged into the Steam website. That is what I DO NOT like about it. If you're not logged in and you double click the FSX-SE icon to run the simulator, it will open the Steam icon and ask you to login to the Steam website, or it will not run. And every time I start up the computer, it opens that Steam icon prompting me to login. I DO NOT like the fact that every time I want to run FSX-SE, I have to login to a website before I can run it.. What happens if the internet should go down? You're not able to run the simulator. Now, there are some things that the people at AVSIM did not explain to me about this Steam website, and I believe that would explain things. I have never heard of a Steam website but it's a website where simmers can go and fly with other simmers. My brother explained this to me but no one at AVSIM brought this up. From what I understand, it's an online game store where you have to be online in order to run their games. That is not what I want. I simply wanted to purchase a FSX-SE, download the program onto my computer like any other download, and then install it and be able to run it without having to login to some website in order to run it. Do any of you have more information and where I can go to download the FSX-SE and run it offline?

Ken.

Country
canada
That is the way of the world now. You need to be online to authorize you to use the software you purchased. Remember you don't own it. LOL

Country
austria
You do not need to be online to play your steam games - you can try it if you want.
Disconnect your Internet and open FSX - you'll get a "Warning" but you can play it.

But, if you're not happy with your purchase i recommend trying to get a refund of your FSX Version and then just try to find a physical copy of FSX, via Ebay or whatever.

You do not need to be online to play your steam games - you can try it if you want.
Disconnect your Internet and open FSX - you'll get a "Warning" but you can play it.

But, if you're not happy with your purchase i recommend trying to get a refund of your FSX Version and then just try to find a physical copy of FSX, via Ebay or whatever.

Hi,
I'm not so sure about that. I do know I have to be logged in to run the sim. If I disconnect from my account, the sim will not run. When I double click to run it, it prompts me to enter my account information and then I can run it. This is what pisses me off, and this is nothing more but more control over the people. It also says in the manual that you must be logged in to run the sim. I'm going to try and find a physical copy, and by the way, that is FSX-SE, not FSX, that I'm looking for. I want to download it, install it, and run it from my own computer without having to be logged in to some account where they can monitor you and do whatever they want.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

FSX_SE is indeed the FSX Steam Edition software, and AFAIK, it inherently has only a number of file attributes which are different than the original RTM FSX released by Microsoft via DVDs as FSX Deluxe and the subsequent "enhancement" package FSX Acceleration.

Those (2) original Microsoft FSX product DVDs were eventually released in a single combined package called FSX Gold.

All these earlier Microsoft releases can still be found for sale at various places via the internet as shipped DVDs ...for example:

AFAIK, all versions of FSX_SE ultimately require downloads and internet verification of one's license for the product even after having bought an initial DVD.

Yes, that was a FSX_SE DVD I bought years ago at a WalMart, but I never got around to installing it as I already have more than (1) FSX DVD set.

It is likely that DVD would have still accessed Steam via the internet and downloaded the latest installer, forced registration / activation / validation etc.. ;)

As you may recall, any Microsoft DVD version of FSX also requires internet verification of one's license for the product even after having bought it on DVD.

However, that is typically a (1) time process, with- or without- a phone call as an alternative to the automated online registration of FSX DVD products.

There is little difference in functionality coded into FSX_SE files as modified by Dovetail, and the original FSX by Microsoft, that cannot be implemented by manual edits to FSX.Cfg on the Microsoft DVD version, along with concurrent use of an up-to-date versions of FSUIPC

Technically, the same is true of Prepar3D version 1.4x, but that is another story.

Thus, there is, IMHO, little- if any- potential benefit to using the FSX_SE instead of any Microsoft FSX DVD version.

If anything, IMHO, FSX_SE potentially increases risk of numerous complications for the FS developer ...and the end user.

I would recommend using a Microsoft FSX DVD version instead of the FSX_SE version. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

FSX_SE is indeed the FSX Steam Edition software, and AFAIK, it inherently has only a number of file attributes which are different than the original RTM FSX released by Microsoft via DVDs as FSX Deluxe and the subsequent "enhancement" package FSX Acceleration.

Those (2) original Microsoft FSX product DVDs were eventually released in a single combined package called FSX Gold.

Hi Gary,

Yes, you're correct that the folder structure is different from the Gold Edition, but I got it figured out now. I went ahead and ordered another Gold Edition because the one I have got messed up.

It is likely that DVD would have still accessed Steam via the internet and downloaded the latest installer, forced registration / activation / validation etc.. ;)

Yes, if activated, it's probably activated through them.

As you may recall, any Microsoft DVD version of FSX also requires internet verification of one's license for the product even after having bought it on DVD.

Well, it's not that they require an internet verification, since it's only a one time thing. It was the fact that I had to login to Steam in order to run FSX-SE. With all the other simulators, you don't have to login to run it.

Ken.