• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Whisplacer problem

Messages
154
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi all,

Sorry in advance for the rambling post, hopefully somebody knows what's going on here...

I've created a library bgl of FSX mdl objects using Library Creator XML and now want to place these objects using Whisplacer.

I've imported the library bgl into Whisplacer and exported the models in library maintenance (Whiplacer has created lots of nice SimObjects in my FSX/SimOPbjects/Misc folder, as it should).

However when I restart FSX, activate live preview in Whisplacer and add one of my objects, nothing appears. If I add a default FSX object this DOES appear.

I therefore repeated the above process using an old library I created last year (and have used successfully in Whisplacer before) as was able to view models from this library. This rules out a configuration issue with Whisplacer.

Next I thought it might be a problem with the library itself (or the object in the library) so I manually created an XML placement file and compiled the bgl as normal. The object appeared in FSX as I would expect, seemingly ruling out this as an issue as well?

So now I'm a little stumped? The only difference between the old library and the new one is that the old one was created using Library Creator XML v2.02 and the new one was with Library Creator XML v2.03. However the xml outputs are identical in structure so I can't believe this is the cause.

Any help on this would be great, I'm going bald tearing my hair out!!

Cheers

Phil
 
Hi Phil,

Are you sure the new library is in an active scenery folder as well?
 
Hi Arno,

Hi Phil,

Are you sure the new library is in an active scenery folder as well?

I'll have to check that, although I thought (maybe wrongly :)) that the model exported to the SimObjects/misc folder would be the one being rendered?

I'll report back!

Cheers

Phil
 
Hi Arno,

I checked and my new bgl library is already in an active folder.

Also, my old bgl library is not in an active scenery folder, but it's objects do get displayed, so Whisplacer is using the SimObjects mdl files for rendering, not the bgl library.

Any more thoughts? I'm stumped by this :confused:

Cheers

Phil
 
Whisplacer generates code for FSX that says read this object from this library BGL file and place it at this location. If the library BGL file is not in an active scenery layer, then to FSX there is nothing to display.

The additional data in the SimObjects folder is just for Whisplacer's use and has no correlation to whether FSX can or will display it.
 
Hi,

Whisplacer generates code for FSX that says read this object from this library BGL file and place it at this location. If the library BGL file is not in an active scenery layer, then to FSX there is nothing to display.

The additional data in the SimObjects folder is just for Whisplacer's use and has no correlation to whether FSX can or will display it.

The code Whisplacer is generating does compile successfully and shows my object when I restart FSX with the compiled bgl. However it's the Live Preview function of Whisplacer where I'm not seeing anything. I've tested this by compiling the placement bgl and restarting FSX, and my object does show, however adding a second object whilst in Live Preview does not show the newly placed object.

Are you sure the new library is in an active scenery folder as well?

Arno, as you can see from my above explanation, my library bgl is in an active layer, as my compiled placement bgl is showing the object.

Phil :confused:
 
I have to see I hardly ever use the live preview function of WhisPlacer, so I have run out of ideas already...
 
Well, I've compiled 2 separate libraries (with the same version of Library Creator XML), one with an old mdl in and one with a new mdl. I've added these libraries to Whisplacer and gone into Live Preview. The old mdl shows without problems, but the new mdl does not show. If I compile the resulting xml the resulting bgl shows both models in FSX.

I think this narrows it down to something within the the mdl which doesn't stop the object from being viewed in FSX, but has issues when Whisplacer tries to use it in its Live Preview mode?

Having just tried compiling some other models, it looks like none of my newly created mdls are able to be viewed in Live Preview.

Any other suggestions anyone? I really love using Whisplacer but cannot place anything now. :(

Cheers

Phil
 
Finally found the problem :)

The option in the FSX material "Assume vertical normal" was ticked. Unticking this and recompiling now allows me to see the object in "Live Preview". Strange how the object still showed when in a scenery bgl but not as a SimObject?

Good to be back placing my objects again!

Many thanks for your help.

Phil
 
I can't run Wihsplacer on my new Win7 x64.

Where is Whisplacer installed and where is FSX installed?

I'm just wondering about a permissions problem within Windows.

Another thing possibly to check is what you are using as a delimiter within Windows, either a comma or a period?


I'll be switching from XP to Win7 64 shortly and I'd like to see Whisplacer be able to work.
 
FSX and whisplacer are installed on non-system disc. Changing delimeter doesn't help. I have friend using Whisplacer on Win7 x64 well...
 
FSX and whisplacer are installed on non-system disc. Changing delimeter doesn't help. I have friend using Whisplacer on Win7 x64 well...

Hello,

I have the same problem after re-installing win7 64, did you find a solution ?

Thanks
 
Do you get the same exception as mentioned earlier in this thread?
 
Back
Top