• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Wind Rotation Help please

Country
australia
Gday all.
After reading a previous post here by Arno , Nick and Dick, ive attempted to create a flag the rotates to wind.

I can display the flag and get it to rotate to wind but i still have the Orig flag showing.

cant fathom where ive gone wrong but would appericiate help .

source code is attached .

rgds Jeff

Attachments

• flag.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 379

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jeff,

Remove this line:

Code:
BGL_CALL_32 flag_MasterScale_1        ; Node 1 - MasterScale

The tutorial says you should replace it with the POINT_VICALL_32 command, if you put them both in there you will indeed get two flags :D.

Country
australia
Gday Arno, thks for the tip, worked 100%, i did however note as per Dicks sample in a previous post for the XML file that it seems that the rotation ( 2nd ) object needs to be called first in the XML code with the slight Bias Offsets for it to work smoothly.

Code Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">
<SceneryObject lat="38.774542" lon="-9.091799" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0" heading="0" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="SPARSE">
<BiasXYZ biasX="1" biasY="-1" biasZ="1" />
<LibraryObject name="91B22178463EF2C88D683FB472421D40" scale="0.001" />
</SceneryObject>
<SceneryObject lat="38.774542" lon="-9.091799" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0" heading="0" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="SPARSE">
<LibraryObject name="91B22178463EF2C88D683FB472421D40" scale="1.0" />
</SceneryObject>
<ModelData name="91B22178463EF2C88D683FB472421D40" sourceFile="flag.mdl" />
</FSData>

End Sample Code

Again, thks to Arno and Dick for the Info.

rgds Jeff

Attachments

• tvdg.jpg
    tvdg.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, that is the old bug. If you only place one rotating object it does not rotate. Therefore at least two need to be on your screen. If you only need one, then you can make the second one smaller and hide it in a hangar or so :).

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Jeff.

As you found, the way I handled the problem was to place a tiny copy of the original MDL. I found I couldn't use the same location... but it must be very nearby, as the 2nd rotation must be in the same viewport.

It's too bad this bug exists from version to version of the sim. :(

I'm hoping the next version of FS will update and resolve the animation and conditional triggers for us. All this playing around with ASM code is distracting from the fun of placing animated creations in the sim. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do everything from within gmax, or another object creation program?

Dick

Country
australia
I agree Dick, to be able to create an animation that would react to weather without hacking ASM code wich i personally find difficult would be sensational.

I must admit tho, due to the efforts of yourself, Gerrish,Goran, Luis, Arno and many others i have come a long way in 3 yrs by saving the snippets of code you have all presented for Scasm that have enabled me to create some wonderfull stuff with FSDS , Sbuilder and Scasm. Now ive delved into Gmax, its a start all over again and something else to learn after hours of studying to understand what im doing. Keeps the Brain challenged wich i enjoy but at times id love to spend more time flying :laughing: .

Nick, im sure MS are aware and like any good marketing company, release as much info as is required ( read, new hardware versions or should we say eg: latest printer or digital cam haha ) to ensure market share of a product.

One thing we shouldnt loose site of is that FS isnt open source and whilst we get frustrated at times, it is on the improve. I think one of the main areas is like to see improve is an expedited release of SDK's with a more detailed and exampled format that caters for those of us less experianced with code !

Still, it leaves a market for Payware and Freeware software that enhances the experiance that could easily be closed off to us, but on the positive side we have new Aircraft, Scenery , Design tools, Tutorials and a hobby ( obsession haha ) that keeps us off the streets :rotfl: :rotfl: !

better get back to the studying LOL :laughing: .

rgds Jeff :D

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
rhumbaflappy said:
I'm hoping the next version of FS will update and resolve the animation and conditional triggers for us. All this playing around with ASM code is distracting from the fun of placing animated creations in the sim. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do everything from within gmax, or another object creation program?

That would indeed be cool.

But on the other hand it would also be sad. A lot of the fun would be gone if I could no longer tweak and play with the ASM code. I find the techniques behind more challenging than the actual scenery created I think :D.