P3D v4 Worst Autopilot Performance

Sad to hear this about placements on the flight controls having zero effect in the config file (Geometry section). That bumms me out.

So... I increased angles on Elevator trim today, tested things all morning. At first, it ran absolutely beautifully! I couldnt believe it. With elevator trim effectiveness boosted up to x5, it worked flawlessly. I tried pulling down the settings just to see how 'back to normal' I could go.. and everything fell apart. As a matter of fact, I never got it working again, even at the settings it was at.

It must be something to do with elevators and settings (tables) in the AIR file. All I can figure.

She does a flat turn SO DANG BEAUTIFULLY in FSX... In P3D V4 (my sim of choice) she is all over (shakey, not too bad, but shakey). But in FSX, its glass, baby....

:)

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Bill,
I have to apologise to you about my negative attitude towards the need for flat turns.
Hidden in the E-2 Hawkeye Manual is a small section about the autopilot flat turn mode.
This is used to turn at each end of an oval search pattern because bank degrades the radar picture (or did when the manual was written)
If you crank the knob all the way to one side, the autopilot will cause a flat turn using rudder with ailerons in the opposite sense to prevent bank.
That gives a rate of turn of about 0.6 degrees per second, 36 degrees per minute and 5 minutes to do a 180 degree turn. Not enough to spill any coffee cups.
My problem is to simulate that since my project at the moment is the C-2/E-2 for Dino.
I suppose that is called Poetic Justice.
Roy

Bill,
I have to apologise to you about my negative attitude towards the need for flat turns.
Hidden in the E-2 Hawkeye Manual is a small section about the autopilot flat turn mode.
This is used to turn at each end of an oval search pattern because bank degrades the radar picture (or did when the manual was written)
If you crank the knob all the way to one side, the autopilot will cause a flat turn using rudder with ailerons in the opposite sense to prevent bank.
That gives a rate of turn of about 0.6 degrees per second, 36 degrees per minute and 5 minutes to do a 180 degree turn. Not enough to spill any coffee cups.
My problem is to simulate that since my project at the moment is the C-2/E-2 for Dino.
I suppose that is called Poetic Justice.
Roy
I feel your pain, Roy. Something in that Extra 300 AIR file has the answer on that handling feature.

By the way, with AP on and Wing Level active, you can flat turn so nicely..... I found that out by mistake when making Wing Level active in AP mode. What you could do is create a AP mode that is labelled Radar scan run (something of that nature, what ever it might be called in the operators manual) and setup a mode in AP that uses turns (heading changes) with the wing leveler on. It 'might' be able to do that. But.... for now, know that if you have AP on, ALT on, you can turn about very nicely with rudder only and those wings stay nice and level...

EDIT: If in AP mode, you change heading, it will use bank to change course. Hard wired... :( You would need exotic coding to do it, I fear.

EDIT2: BUT!!!! What if you had AP on, Wing Level on... and you adjusted rudder, hard controlling it with a code. You could do 'Apply rudder left, 15% until course adjust is at 'this amount', then return rudder to zero angle. Then you would have your flat turn. You would be bypassing AP - HDG by using your own HDG control via rudder only, and using AP ALT and Wing Level for the rest.

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Bill,
As it happens, the E-2 does a flat turn if you just apply rudder. It has no roll associated with yaw. At least it does that with a left turn partly because the engines are both set the same and both engines create left yaw.It is not quite so keen on flat turning against the torque to the right.
So the task will be to just have the AP apply rudder and have some code keep wings level.
Roy

One of the reasons for the large vertical tail surface on the Do27 is, that it was a design requirement that any rudder application must not induce a rolling moment, and she does nice flat turns without the need for opposite aileron.
Works nicely together with the superb downward visibility.