• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Wrong file format loading SAMM?

Country
austria
Hi,
I used SAMM with Win7 without problems.
Now I try to use SAMM with Win10. I can do this but I get error messages.
I installed the latest version 2.2.06. at C:/FSX_Programme/SAMM
FSX is saved at C:/FSX
SDK is saved at C:/SDK

Trying to start SAMM as administrator I get the message about a wrong file (see the attachment)
The text under Details is:
************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.BadImageFormatException: Es wurde versucht, eine Datei mit einem falschen Format zu laden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
bei SAMM2.MW_DLL.MWGFX.Pic_Valid(String infile)
bei SAMM2.MW_DLL.MWGFXAvailable()
bei SAMM2.MainPanel.SAMM2_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
Assembly-Version: 4.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 4.7.3260.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
SAMM2
Assembly-Version: 2.2.0.6.
Win32-Version: 2.2.0.6.
CodeBase: file:///C:/FSX_Programme/SAMM/SAMM2.exe.
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly-Version: 10.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 14.7.3190.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C.
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll.
System
Win32-Version: 4.7.3190.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C.
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll.
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll.
mscorlib.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.
Now I can work as normal if I ignore this messages but it disturbs me. How can I find the wrong file?

The second problem is the message like "there is no valid modeldef.xml". There is a valid such file but SAMM doesn't find it because the unchangable link in the SAMM.ini about SDK
is wrong: Path to FSX SDK=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK.
I never had the SDK there. If I try to change this path and save, next loading the file it is again wrong.
Again, I can ignore this all and create static models but it disturbes me.

Is there a solution?
SAMM1.jpg

The translation is about: It was tried loading a file with wrong format. Exception from HRESULT:......

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The first full paragraph on Page 2 of the User Manual explains the exception re Martin Wrights dlls.

Re the second issue, I suggest you delete the .ini file. (It will be rebuilt when you next use SAMM.) But, please read the third paragraph under installation first.

Again, I can ignore this all and create static models but it disturbes me.
Perhaps, but there are certain (perhaps-unnecessary -to-you) functions you will be unable to perform until you resolve those issues.

Don

Country
austria
Thank you Don for answering,
I tried as you said:
I downloaded the Martin Wrights dlls and they are located in C:\Windows\System32.
Second I deleted the SAMM.ini file.

I restarted the PC and started SAMM and get the same errormessage and SAMM didn't obviously find the SDK. The Path in the ini file was wrong as bevor.
I searched the files corresponding to the manual in the SDK and all are where they sould be!
SAMM didn't ask about the files at all only the Path for the Aircraft. But SAMM mentioned the files could not be found.
I think the main problem is the wrong path in the ini file. I can't imagine how the wrong path is there created.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
You reported two errors earlier. To which one(s) are you now referring.?

SAMM didn't obviously find the SDK
SAMM locates the SDKs via the system registry. If the SDK is there and SAMM didn't find it, then perhaps the SDK was not installed in the requisite manner. You can enter the path directly into the .ini file (when SAMM is not running, and SAMM will use that path.

SAMM didn't ask about the files at all only the Path for the Aircraft.
This is new. I need more details in order to comment.

I think the main problem is the wrong path in the ini file.
To which path are you referring?

Don

Country
austria
Thank you again for answering.
The "errormessages" are the same as bevor: 1. Microsoft.Net Framework It was tried loading a file with wrong format

2. Unable to locate aircraft folders. (this I can solve)
3. The "modeldef.xml" file does not appear to be valid..... (only option to click OK)

According to the manual: The first time you attempt to convert an aircraft model for either version, if SAMM cannot find the relevant SDK file(s), you will be asked to locate them.
I am never asked for the relevant SDK file(s).

The wrong path I mean is the wrong (unchangeable) Path in the SAMM ini file (as I said bevor): Path to FSX SDK=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK.
The right Path would be C:\SDK. No other program has difficulties with this path (ADE, MCX, for instance)

Edit: in the meantime I copied a SAMM.ini file from a backup and now the Path to the SDK is right!
Only the errormessage from Microsoft.Net Framework remains

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
1. Error message re Martin Wright's dll. Windows is telling you there's a problem with that .dll. No one else is reporting such a problem and I'm not having it. Therefore, it would seem they may not have installed correctly on your system. (These .dlls were written some time ago before Win 10 was even a gleam in MS' eyes. There may be some sensitivity you haven't addressed.) In any case, that's not something I can be of much help with.

SDK is wrong: Path to FSX SDK=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK. I never had the SDK there.
SAMM is not inventing that path. If SAMM is writing that path into the .ini file, then that's where Windows is telling SAMM the SDK is located.. If you overwrite that path in the .ini file with the correct path (when SAMM is not running), SAMM should continue to use the correct path.

No other program has difficulties with this path (ADE, MCX, for instance)
Unless those programs require access to "modeldef.xml" and attempt to confirm its availability on startup, they wouldn't. I don't recall you having such difficulties under the earlier operating system. So, you may wish to review how you upgraded.

Don

Country
austria
I don't recall you having such difficulties under the earlier operating system. So, you may wish to review how you upgraded.
I can't remeber if I used SAMM under WIN10 bevor; maybe not. With my old PC (WIN7) I used often SAMM without problems In April 2017 I got a new PC with WIN10 and yesterday
I used SAMM. First I have to update to 2.2.06 and then I had troubles but a fine static model.
Today I tried SAMM (Version 2.2.03) with my old PC (Win7) and without problems. So I thought I have to ask you.
Again thank you for helping and patience.